Streetsville new tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrweather

Does anyone know who owns the new free-standing tower between Mississauga Road and the CPR tracks just east of the Chrysler parts warehouse? It went up in late November and new antennas have slowly sprouted up (some verticals at the top and some cell panels a little further down). It's gotta be 100' tall and is quite noticeable.

ATCTech

There are new towers along the 401 as well. One is between 8th and 9th Line west of the 401/407 on the north side of the 401. Another has been in place for over a year at 401 and RR25 at Milton but void of antennas until recently, southwest of the interchange at the back of the Milton Hydro lot. Both are similar "x-brace" designs and are now sporting flat-panel sectorized antennas.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Hytera was talking about adding some sites for their XPT system. Peel police use Hyteras cell network for all police cell phone use so maybe its a mix tower for their XPT system and also for the cell system?

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
There’s a tower behind the metrolinx repair depot. Is that the one? I think it has metrolinx stuff on it but it’s not active yet, neither is the new 300ft tower in Orangeville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
TAFL shows Metrolinx and their microwave links.
ba2bb7e2277defa4250dbbbb64b300f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrweather

Thanks all for the suggestions, the Metrolinx one sounds most likely. The tower is definitely near the Streestville GO bus barn. I knew it was tall but not 75m tall! It totally dwarfs a nearby cell site monopole.

Surprisingly there aren't any clearance lights on it. Whereas the relatively new CPR tower down the tracks in Streetsville proper has a strobe.

gary123

It is stupid not to put lights on a tower even if you can, just to save money. Unfortunately there are those who will do just that. There are enough 'weekend warriors' flying around or pilots who are below the minimum flight altitude for legitimate reasons. Either way having something sticking up where someone may not see it or see it when its too late to do something is just stupid. I know tower lighting is not cheap but an accident that wrecks the tower, and injures or kills someone is way more expensive than the cost saved.

Another tower related issue. have the lighting reasonable. There are some cell towers with the strobes set so bright they light up everything. You only need the strobes to be bright enough to be seen at a reasonable distance (1 mile for cellular is fine). No lighting is bad but too much is a nuisance.

mrweather

Is this the one?
bb625d2a22165de59d11c5b38d728ccc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yep, that's the one. Dig the old school microwave dish! I recognize the cell panel antennas but what are the sticks on top?

Surprised the residents in the area didn't whine about the tower going up (yes there are houses to the ENE off Kitimat). That thing's a beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.