Streetsweepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoscanning

Just heard on a police band (not sure which one):

"any street sweepers on the air, any street sweepers call radio"

Why would there be a street sweeper on a police radio band?

VE3RADIO

Perhaps the police were looking fora street sweaper to clean up after a car accident or fire? .. or you were on the wrong band.

ve2vfd

It could also be police slang for interceptors during a radar trap...

I doubt that public works street sweepers would be on the same frequency as the cops.

Pat

mancow

Database Admin
Streetsweper!

brent.6.gif

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Just like the time I heard on 33-D32:
Unit: "Dispatch can I please get an EMS rolling to this location."
Dispatch: "10-4. Any available ambulance call radio."

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The reason TPS would request such a thing... As part of the ViClass (Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System) software, there exists the option to input license plates observed at a crime scene. This software allows the detectives to generate a trend chart. That is to say, establish any patterns between license plates, locations, crime scenes. IE, if 5 shootings all have the same vehicle within 2 blocks of it, and said shootings are spread over the city, a trend is established.

Back in the day, a constable would have to manually go around and write all the license plates down. However, with the "street sweeper", the car can just drive up and down a street and it does the same thing.

When it isn't doing this, it's driving around looking for expired tags, stolen vehicles and that kind of thing. I remember reading a statistic somewhere that said it runs on average 250-300 plates a day resulting in a dozen or so violations. That's not too bad at all I'd say...

As for radios, they generally hang out on 69-PKE or 6A-PKE/W, depending on what area they're in.

Status
Not open for further replies.