Stridsberg MC204A or MCA204A

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommRX

Now that I have an external antenna, I was looking at upgrading from a BNC "T" splitter to something more useful. How much difference is there really between the amplified and passive models? $100 extra is alot to me. I want to run 3 radios off of one discone 20' in the air. I like the Stridsbergs, but $185? The I.C.E. units only have a range of 30 to 500 mhz. Are there any other multicouplers that anyone has used for a more reasonable price?

K8PBX

You might consider using an Electroline drop amp as a multicoupler. Info in prior posts can be found HERE and HERE

Note: If you decide to go with Electroline, I recommend only the UG 2402 (4-port) and UG 2802 (8-port). These two particular models afford just enough amplification to compensate for the port split.

So long as using F-connectors aren't an issue for you, I think you'll be happy with performance.

FWIW, I just picked up another UG2802 off eBay the other day for about $22 total (brand new).
Here's an example: eBay Link

GrayWolfSA58

I have the Stridsberg multi coupler active and it's awesome ,,,have 4 radios hooked to it great performance..........

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I second the Stridsberg products! I've got 12 scanners running off of one antenna, it's a *long sorid* `tale' why, via a Stridsberg MCA202M and a pair of MCA208Ms and I don't have any problems with signal strength, or the lack thereof, and interaction of any kind between the assorted scanners. I've also got 4 more scanners in my daughter's room running off of another single antenna via a MCA204M and 4 HF receivers feeding from an RF Engineering H-900 via a MCA104M. Nary a `hiccup' out of any of the setups. The Stridsberg `Multicouplers' are *well worth* what one pays for them! (Good multicouplers are like good coax. One *might* be able to `get by' for a while with cheap coax but eventually it'll `bite ya in the backside' at just the time you don't want it to and the same applies to multicouplers. [Voice of a `Graduate of the School of Hard Knocks'. {WAN GRIN!} I've tried `cheap johning' to try and save a few bucks in the past. Amazing what using good equipment and tools can do, and save.])

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {VB GRIN!}

dfndr13

Cable/HDTV

I see in some of the descriptions of the electroline on ebay as Cable and some as HDTV is there a differemce in the two?

Matt

K8PBX

dfndr13 said:
I see in some of the descriptions of the electroline on ebay as Cable and some as HDTV is there a differemce in the two?

Matt
Stick with Electroline model UG 2402 (4-port) or UG 2802 (8-port) and you won't go wrong.

RISC777

If you go with Stridsberg, get the model(s) ending in M, not A. The Ms are active multicouplers which is what you want/need.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
K8PBX said:
Stick with Electroline model UG 2402 (4-port) or UG 2802 (8-port) and you won't go wrong.

As an example, I just won a UG-2402 for a whopping $5.50. The shipping was 3 times the amount of the item! :) I also won a UG-2802 for $31.00.

There was some discussion somewhere on here regarding terminating the unused connectors on these devices. I'm not sure why this is necessary when it's connected to a scanner antenna. I can understand if it was connected to a CATV signal. I'd like to hear some comments from current users of these products if possible.

I own a 4 port active Stridsberg also, which works very nicely (it should for the $$) but I'm looking forward to trying these alternatives. Steve, I think it was you that originally made me aware of them some time ago. Thanks.

K8PBX

scancapecod said:
As an example, I just won a UG-2402 for a whopping $5.50. The shipping was 3 times the amount of the item! :) I also won a UG-2802 for $31.00.

There was some discussion somewhere on here regarding terminating the unused connectors on these devices. I'm not sure why this is necessary when it's connected to a scanner antenna. I can understand if it was connected to a CATV signal. I'd like to hear some comments from current users of these products if possible.

I own a 4 port active Stridsberg also, which works very nicely (it should for the $$) but I'm looking forward to trying these alternatives. Steve, I think it was you that originally made me aware of them some time ago. Thanks.
Yeah, you've got to watch for the beefy shipping charges on eBay sometimes. All in all though, you still got them for a great price compared to retail.

I terminate the unused ports on mine using the standard little CATV type terminators with the resistor. Not for any particular reason though - just because I have a bag of about a hundred of those little buggers.

I've been very happy with the performance of my Electroline UG-2802 with a Niljon Super-M Base antenna. I use it in place of a Stridsberg and find no appreciable difference. I'm anxious to hear your take on the Electroline unit once you've had a chance to try it out.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to try one of the Electroline splitters out as well... let you know how it goes...

Last edited:

trooperdude

Database Admin
GrayWolfSA58 said:
I have the Stridsberg multi coupler active and it's awesome ,,,have 4 radios hooked to it great performance..........

I've had very poor luck with Stridsburg multicouplers.

Components slowly failing repeatedly, and the unit going deaf.

This has happened on two separate units, on 5 different occasions.

i finally sent them in for repair for the last time, and then dumped them on e-bay.

I've been MUCH happier with Electroline and minicircuits microwave rated splitters.

IMHO Stridsburg is just NOT worth the $$$$

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I have used a stridesburg for several years. I have never had a problem with it. In addition to splitting the signal, it also offers good isolation between the scanners connected to it. I think that stridesburg definitely falls into the you get what you pay for category.

gill

Status
Not open for further replies.