Stringers: LA TV show

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with the new Stringers show? I missed the first episode but tuned in tonight and the listing shows Stringers but there is an old Cops show playing in it's place?

7:30 to 8:00 pm was the time slot tonight.

skywavesli

I know it doesn't really matter but, isn't this technically illegal in some ways?
Having scanners in his car and making a financial gain from the communications he's receiving.

Anyways, does look pretty exciting. I also wonder how much they make, but more so I wonder how hard it is to actually break into that business.

wasabi69

WRDK334
Anyways, does look pretty exciting. I also wonder how much they make, but more so I wonder how hard it is to actually break into that business.

There is probably a lot of competition to sell video,most that go it alone probably start out working for someone else to get the foot in the door.

With out press credentials it would be very difficult for someone to cover most police activity.

Getting Press Credentials from the LAPD

W6KRU

There is probably a lot of competition to sell video,most that go it alone probably start out working for someone else to get the foot in the door.

With out press credentials it would be very difficult for someone to cover most police activity.

Getting Press Credentials from the LAPD

If you need to cross police/fire lines:

If you believe that it is necessary for you to have an LAPD press pass because you are regularly engaged in the gathering and reporting of spot, hard core, police-beat and/or fire news involving the Los Angeles Police Department, that would require you to cross police and/or fire lines in the course of your news gathering duties within the City of Los Angeles, please send us examples (six within the last three months).

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This is how the CHP handles the media. Being that they are the states law enforcement agency this is also how most local agencies handle the media.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The California Highway Patrol is dropping its decades-old practice of issuing media passes to reporters, citing the changing nature of journalism as well as security issues and the expense.

"Everyone with a video camera or Web site was requesting them," CHP spokesman Tom Marshall said on Nov. 5. "It was mostly just a management nightmare of who's in and who's out, and some abuse. People were using them to get into baseball games and everything else."

No background checks were conducted, so anyone could send in an application and get one of the official laminated cards, creating a potential security problem. Issuing the cards took about a third of one employee's time, though the expense for the cards themselves was perhaps a few thousand dollars, Marshall said.

"Our biggest problem is, who is a journalist?" he said. "It almost got to the point of government licensing journalists, and nobody's comfortable with that."

The CHP now plans to treat anyone showing a media-affiliated business card or media pass as a journalist.

Even the old official pass "doesn't really entitle you to anything," Marshall said. "It really doesn't get you much, other than at crash scenes; if it's not a crime scene, it gets you by the yellow tape."

Status
Not open for further replies.