Strong Signal dropping out for 1-2 sec then comes back. ALWAYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3MRK

I hadnt used my scanner in a while, but got it out this weekend. My local system is a P25 Ph1 system. Iknow just enough about scanning this sytem to get by, so I am far from expert. I programmed a 996P2 for someone last night and everything seems to work great. The problem is that my 396XT, when receiving a transmission from any of the sites in my county, displays a 5 bar signal and repeatedly drops out to 0 if the transmission is more than 2-3 seconds. It drops for about 1 second, then comes back. If the transmission is long enough it will continue this cycle.
I get a good signal from just about all of the sites. I have a tower for one of the sites 200 yards from my house. As I listen to the 996P2 the transmission is complete, no dropouts.

I did update the programming last night as we had some changes here since the last I used the scanner. I grabbed the latest file from RR and I use FreeScan to program. Maybe a setting changed?
I'm sure it wasnt like this before, because its about useless to even listen like this. I'm sure I would remember an issue like this.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

KI4SXZ

Seems silly, but i would check to make sure you dont have weather priority or another priority turned on. That may be doing it. Or possibly, because its an older radio, maybe your antenna got damaged so it has a large loss factor. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Priority channel, weather priority, or close call priority are turned on. Turn them off.

K3MRK

Thanks!
That was it. Weather Priority. I was trying some things I never used before. Seems good now.
So are any of those features useable as long as its not priority?
I bought this radio about 2 weeks before they annouced it was discontinued.

teufler

I use weather alert function ,i n increment weather conditions at night. Radio just sits dumb and happy until a weather alert comes in a fips setting. The radio will wake up the dead, no volume setting, just loud and louder. I use number selections to highlight a system, then scan onlyh one that system. If something happens , it will show up soon enough. Its not perfect but it beats the clipping of audio every so many seconds

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So are any of those features useable as long as its not priority?

The "Do Not Disturb" priorities won't interrupt an active transmission. For example, Close Call looks for nearby transmissions every 2 seconds. Close Call Do Not Disturb looks for nearby transmissions every 2 seconds whenever a transmission is not being received.

Status
Not open for further replies.