BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Strong Signal, No Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

Greetings. First to any Moderator, I am cross-posting this as I think I have the Virginia Forum stumped on this so I am hoping a more general tech forum might be the appropriate place to post this question. Thank you.

While in Richmond. VA, they had a 2 alarm high rise fire in the city. I listened to Richmond fire but heard nothing. I had 4 bars signal strength and was close enough to see the smoke. In analyze mode, had full deflection on the "S" bar but zero on the "Q" and "A" bars. I have heard Richmond in the past, although you had to be close to the city, but never this. I rechecked talk groups and they appeared correct. Also as far as I know, RFD is NOT encrypted, So...….??

I have a through-the-glass TRAM antenna hooked up to a pre-amp which seems to work well otherwise. I know the through the glass antenna isn't ideal but it works well enough with the pre-amp. Was hearing Henrico and Hanover counties with no problem. Thanks in advance.

Eugene KG4AVE

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The first thought that comes to mind is that this might be a simulcast system. I looked at the RR data page and it doesn't say simulcast, however.

Getting strong signal, but not hearing audio, is consistent with simulcast distortion. Another explanation is that you have the talkgroups programmed, but somehow they are avoided. Lastly any Location Control involved perhaps?

Blazer7112

I'm having the same problem. Mine is a single channel NXDN system I get the RAN# but the audio never comes thru. The county just switched and I suspect they are using encryption or other measures. wonder if there is a way to better figure out for sure?

Eugene

ofd8001: No location control involved. Don't think the TG's are avoided but will check.....stranger things have happened. Blazer7112: Could maybe check the database and see if your county is listed as being encrypted. Thanks to both.

Eugene KG4AVE

ScubaJungle

You should see "ENC" briefly if it is indeed encrypted.
Also, are you on "ID Scan" or "ID Search" (trunked?)
There are really a lot of possibilities - it is possible they have changed control channels (as in entirely new one), switched systems, or, it is also possible (if it is trunked?) that they are using a new site that you do not have.

I think the best things you can do is try a different antenna, find someone nearby that can confirm these frequencies are still the same and in use, or grab a $20 rtl-sdr v3 and check the spectrum where you think they should be, and other possible frequency locations - 700/800mhz. If you can hear them with the SDR and you cant with the 436, then you'll at least be able to narrow down your possible issues.

Eugene

ScubaJungle: Thanks. Not encrypted for sure. I was getting 4 signal bars so I assume that was the data channel. I was hearing the adjacent county (Henrico) and the county adjacent to that (Hanover) but could always try a different antenna and see.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.