• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Strongest GMRS Radio with "privacy codes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnoyeb

What is the strongest GMRS radio I can get that also does privacy codes? What about a GMRS radio that does privacy codes with a detachable antenna.

I know there is no privacy, just can't think of the other name just now.

bezking

They are called PL tones by Motorola. The technology is called CTCSS Tone. Radios with detachable antennae come to mind, check out the Icom F21GM.

bezking

Huh. That's a shame, I didn't even realize. Anyway, you can buy almost any UHF portable LMR radio and set it up exactly like the F21GM, complete with removable antenna, and 5 watts of output power. These come to mind off of the top of my head:

* Motorola HT1250 and HT750 (expensive! - the required software to program them alone costs almost $300!)
* Icom F4001 - these are the replacement to the F21 series (these might be best for this application and if you buy them with the programming cable from here, he will send the software for free!)
* Icom F60 (nice and small, but expensive)
* and many others.

You really have very many options here, I personally use the F21GM, F43GT (discontinued), and Motorola HT1250 and HT750.

Last edited:

dnoyeb

Great, I have been strongly looking at the F4001. I was going to want field programmability, but I have been on 3 outings and the channel never changes. I should be fine with a fixed channel. Detachable antenna too.

Captain715

I personally use a Kenwood TK3180. I use it for both GMRS and Public Safety. I found mine on eBay for $225 shipped (radio, Li battery, 2 antennas, charger, speaker mic and programming cable/software)

n1das

I'm using my Kenwood NEXEDGE portables (NX-300) on GMRS in analog, also on a few UHF business freqs I'm an authorized user on a friend's system in NXDN digital, and on the 440 ham band in analog and NXDN digital modes.

One good thing about Kenwood's new UHF line of NEXEDGE radios are that they specifically have FCC Part 95 Type Acceptance in addition to Part 90 type acceptance, making them squeaky-clean and legal radios to use on GMRS. Kenwood has been very good about including Part 95 type acceptance on their UHF radios. Even Kenwood's UHF NEXEDGE repeater (NXR-800) has Part 95 in addition to Part 90. Too bad digital operation isn't legal on GMRS otherwise I'd be using it there. :)

Be forwarned that not all Part 90 commercial gear has officially has Part 95 type acceptance even though the equipment more than meets all technical requirements for Part 95. The reasons for this can be as simple as the radio manufacturer didn't bother to check the Part 95 box on the application form (FCC Form 731) when they applied for Part 90 Type Acceptance. It is likely tied to the radio manufacturer's marketing strategy for their radios. A Part 90 radio that doesn't specifically have Part 95 type acceptance (Moto HT1250 for example) technically isn't legal to use on GMRS. Provided GMRS users are licensed and behave themselves and don't cause harmful interference with their Part 90 gear, it's unlikely that the Part 90 w/o Part 95 type acceptance situation would ever become an issue.

Last edited:

dnoyeb

I am now the proud owner of an Icom F4001 16 channel UHF radio. Wow this think is heavy! Nothing like my Midland consumer GMRS pair.

I'm going to give it a distance test later tonight. Hopefully its no tjust heavier, but also better performing.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a kenwood tk 353 portable which has the dtmf pad and works flawlessly for gmrs and 440mhz ham as well. Just another choice among many.
n9zas

dnoyeb

Did that unit cost a lot? I was warned about the Kenwood software since I am only a consumer and don't have any other reason to have that software. And I don't have access to any friends or companies that happen to have it...

I am surprised at how much power the Icom is putting out. I have not range tested it, but even on low power it seems to produce more power than the Midland on High power. Judging by the interference I am hearing in my speakers when I key up.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Your midland gmrs radios are probably no more than 2 watts out if even that much. A commercial icom would be a min. of 4 watts plus a much hotter receiver. As far as kenwood software? Just google it.
n9zas

canav844

I'm using my Kenwood NEXEDGE portables (NX-300) on GMRS in analog, also on a few UHF business freqs I'm an authorized user on a friend's system in NXDN digital, and on the 440 ham band in analog and NXDN digital modes.

One good thing about Kenwood's new UHF line of NEXEDGE radios are that they specifically have FCC Part 95 Type Acceptance in addition to Part 90 type acceptance, making them squeaky-clean and legal radios to use on GMRS. Kenwood has been very good about including Part 95 type acceptance on their UHF radios. Even Kenwood's UHF NEXEDGE repeater (NXR-800) has Part 95 in addition to Part 90. Too bad digital operation isn't legal on GMRS otherwise I'd be using it there. :)

Be forwarned that not all Part 90 commercial gear has officially has Part 95 type acceptance even though the equipment more than meets all technical requirements for Part 95. The reasons for this can be as simple as the radio manufacturer didn't bother to check the Part 95 box on the application form (FCC Form 731) when they applied for Part 90 Type Acceptance. It is likely tied to the radio manufacturer's marketing strategy for their radios. A Part 90 radio that doesn't specifically have Part 95 type acceptance (Moto HT1250 for example) technically isn't legal to use on GMRS. Provided GMRS users are licensed and behave themselves and don't cause harmful interference with their Part 90 gear, it's unlikely that the Part 90 w/o Part 95 type acceptance situation would ever become an issue.
It's really too bad Kenwood doesn't allow dealers to offer them online, or list a dealer within 300 miles of me. I guess it's just a matter of keeping an eye out for a few more F21(GM)s

dnoyeb

The Icom I believe has 1, 2, and 4w settings. How much are those Kenwood radios? I only bought 1 Icom and will probably a 2nd radio to pair it with in the future.

n1das

The Icom I believe has 1, 2, and 4w settings. How much are those Kenwood radios? I only bought 1 Icom and will probably a 2nd radio to pair it with in the future.

IIRC, the Kenwood NEXEDGE portables are in the $700+ price range.
Low power is 1W.
High power is 4W.

We're talking about commercial grade radios here, not toys like the Midland and other bubble pack radios are. The Icom F21GM GMRS is a UHF commercial radio (F21) being marketed specifically for GMRS. The high and low power levels available are typical.

n1das

To strictly answer the OP's question, the strongest GMRS radios with "privacy codes" are 50W mobiles. A GMRS licensee can transmit with 50W while mobile. Repeaters, bases, and mobiles can operate at 50W maximum transmit power (IIRC, ERP is not mentioned in the rules & regs). GMRS operation on the 7 "splinter" or interstitial freqs that are shared with the first 7 FRS freqs are limited to 5W ERP maximum.

Again, these radios are commercial-grade equipment and are not toys like the bubble packs. The equipment costs a lot more than bubble packs but it's a case where you DO get what you pay for and buys you a MUCH better radio.

Last edited:

dnoyeb

I am happy with the Icom. Its performing very well and I like the quality feel of it. $700 is way over the top for a UHF radio for me. I only need GMRS with CTCSS/DCS. I only need a few channels as well. The F4001 has 16 channels of UHF. Thats more than I need and it only cost $130. So I think I'm set.

I was wondering if Kenwood had something in the $100-$200 range. After all, this is for personal use.

zerowatts

dnoyeb did you ever test the range in comparison to the consumer model Midlands? I am very curious how it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.