BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Struggle with air freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesO

Most stock/OE radio antenna are sub par from experience.

I just received my 436HP yesterday, immediately put my Radio Shack 800 MHZ antenna on the radio.

Dumped my 536HP programming to the radio and then entered my Zipcode just to see what the radio would pick up.

I have been picking up a number of AM Aircraft approach channels inside the house this morning with the radio on in the background.

I think with the sheer number or channels/TGID's the radio is currently scanning I am probably missing A LOT of the AM Aircraft approach channels due to the time it takes the scanner to circle back around to this area of the scanner.

I just wanted to let this radio rip and see what it might be able to pick up.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
you won't hear as much air traffic with the 800 MHZ antenna as you might with antenna that is better equipped to pick up air, such as the Diamond RH-77 or similar.

JamesO

you won't hear as much air traffic with the 800 MHZ antenna as you might with antenna that is better equipped to pick up air, such as the Diamond RH-77 or similar.

Fully aware a longer antenna would be a better choice and I have a Diamond RH-77 as well as many other antennas.

I am just pointing out to the OP who claims he is having problems with Aircraft frequencies that I was having no issues pulling in Aircraft with the squelch set to 2 using my Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna on the scanner inside the house.

I usually do not monitor much Aircraft, however, I loaded the full database for my Zipcode just to see what I might be able to pick up and I was getting both Commercial and Military Aircraft with the 800 MHz antenna inside my house with foil covered styrofoam insulation behind brick and aluminum siding.

So I feel the scanner is more than capable of picking up AM Aircraft traffic and the OP should at a minimum consider a different antenna.

Most of my monitoring is UHF/700-800 Trunking so this is why I usually use the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna.

Last edited:
I put my Pro-164 side by side with the same Air freq. The Pro had no problem.

I switched the 436 to the RS 800 MHz antenna same deal. I am not picking up any air communications

What is squelch 2? is that on the 436?

JamesO

I put my Pro-164 side by side with the same Air freq. The Pro had no problem.

I switched the 436 to the RS 800 MHz antenna same deal. I am not picking up any air communications

What is squelch 2? is that on the 436?

Yes, I am talking about a 436HP.

You may have the Squelch set too high???

The Squelch is set with a numeric setting.

Push the Function button, top left button on the radio so the "F" is displayed in the upper left corner of the display. Then push down on the "Volume Control/Multifunction Knob".

You will see the Squelch level displayed on the bottom of the display. Rotate the "Volume Control/Multifunction Knob" and set the Squelch to 0 and see what happens. I usually run my X96XT and x36HP radios at Squelch setting 2.

Also make sure you do not somehow have an attenuator turned on and also check NOAA Weather and/or Broadcast FM as a benchmark.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Do you have the proper "Service Type" enabled for the frequencies you are trying to monitor?

JamesO

Do you have the proper "Service Type" enabled for the frequencies you are trying to monitor?

I keep forgetting about the Service Type's on these radios as well. Have been using my x96XT more often than the HP series radios.

Service Types are useful and powerful, however, think about the Service Type as a "Filter". They actually do more to hinder reception when not properly understood and used.

Here is the deal on ANY of the Uniden HP series radios, HP1, x36HP. If you make any kind of Favorite List from scratch or enter any frequencies manually without copying over from the Master Database, the Service Type will typically default to "Custom 1". As a quick test you can just enable the Service Type "Aircraft" and "Custom 1" and see if you start picking up Aircraft.

One way to get it right and MANY ways to get it wrong.

brucewarming

RS Antenna

I use the 9 section antenna with SMA to BNC connector with my BCD436HP. Easy to size to frequency's, Reception blows me away.

JamesO

We probably just have the typical "Pilot Error" here, no pun intended! :wink:

I have not performed a really decent comparison on my 436HP on the AM Aircraft frequencies, however, I am starting to think a lot of the complaints on the x36HP receive performance may be more "Pilot Error" and less hardware??

Fairly surprised at the the receiver performance just doing some generic listening that I usually used my 396XT for.

Status
Not open for further replies.