Struggling to program BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldrichg9

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I am having little success with how I am programming my BCD325P2 using Freescan
I am trying to listen to Vigo County Sheriffs Dept, and Terre Haute in Indiana.

I entered all of the frequencies from HERE and the talkgroups from HERE

Sometimes I hear just small pieces of radio traffic, so I know I am within range of receiving.
But when I compare to the scanner app I am really hearing just a small part of the traffic
Attached is the file from Freescan
Can someone take a look at tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks

Attachments

• scanner.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 14

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I am having little success with how I am programming my BCD325P2 using Freescan
I am trying to listen to Vigo County Sheriffs Dept, and Terre Haute in Indiana.

I entered all of the frequencies from HERE and the talkgroups from HERE

Sometimes I hear just small pieces of radio traffic, so I know I am within range of receiving.
But when I compare to the scanner app I am really hearing just a small part of the traffic
Attached is the file from Freescan
Can someone take a look at tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks

What antenna are you using? If you are using the stock antenna that came with the radio that could be part of the problem. A good dual band antenna or the Remtronix 800mhz antenna might serve you better. Being as the system you are trying to monitor has several simulcast sites that could also be part of the problem. The 325P2 is a great scanner but it doesn't handle simulcast as well as the SDS scanners. One thing you can try is to program each site you are trying to monitor as a separate system. I know several users on here will say that this doesn't work, however I had the same scanner and it worked better for me than having all of the sites programmed into one system. Your location may also be an issue as well, I'd suggest trying different areas of town and seeing if the reception improves or stays about the same.

I don't see any errors in your programming.

You might want to program Quick Keys to all ow you to switch things on and off.

This explains Quick Keys

I would verify that you don't have any Priority Modes enabled.

Simulcast Distortion is most likely your issue.

It's a great scanner but may not be able to overcome Simulcast from your location.

Take a ride in the car and see if it improves.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this file a try. It has quick keys for both the sites and groups. Terre Haute site is system quick key 1. Vigo County site is system quick key 2. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeScan. I will be taking a look at your file.

Attachments

• Vigo Co IN FS.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 3

tvengr

Well Known Member
One thing I notice with your file is that you are scanning 6 sites. While scanning a site in another county, you are missing transmissions in your own county. That can result in missing the beginning of transmissions. That's why it helps to have multiple scanners scanning different systems. When using a single scanner for multiple systems, the more you scan, the less you hear. I kept my file confined to Vigo County. See if that makes a difference.

aldrichg9

Premium Subscriber
Thank you folks for the replies. Apologies for the delay in response, it's a busy time.
Thank you tvengr for sending that file over!
I will upload that to the scanner today and give it a listen.

@cfsimmont
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm able to hear the tower loud and clear, shouldn't I be able to hear things just as well as the scanner app?
wtp made me aware, however, that there are 2 towers in my county so I know that could affect my ability to hear since they could be coming from a farther tower.

Thank you everyone for your input.
I will continue to work on understanding what I am dealing with.

GA

tvengr

Well Known Member
Both sites are in the file I provided. Depending where units are, they may affiliate with either site. Depending on location, units may even affiliate with a site in another county on a statewide system such as SAFE-T.

Status
Not open for further replies.