Struggling to program scanner... McHenry IL

Olivier04

Hello all. I have spend the last few days playing around with FreeSCAN and watching multiple videos. I have tried a bunch of different methods but for some reason my scanner is not picking up the talkgroup and frequency I put in. I have had nothing come through all day and even put an online scanner to make sure there were transmissions on the radio. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know that Starcom has many frequencies, but Crystal Lake FD is under the McHenry County site. I don't know what other frequency it could be.

851.7375c (McHenry County - Simulcast),
Talkgroup: 34107 (Crystal Lake Fire Dispatch)

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    109.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    240 KB · Views: 24

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Re-check the system type you are using. Looks like you are using Motorola Type 2.

For Starcom, on the 996P2, use the system type P25 Standard (Digital XT).

This screenshot is from a different system, but has the correct system type.
1667699423883.png

Olivier04

Re-check the system type you are using. Looks like you are using Motorola Type 2.

For Starcom, on the 996P2, use the system type P25 Standard (Digital XT).

This screenshot is from a different system, but has the correct system type.
View attachment 130602

I switched the systems and I am receiving some transmissions now, thank you!

VASCAR2

Your BCD996P2 might be struggling to receive the simulcast system in use in McHenry County. There are seven simulcast sites in McHenry County. All these sites transmit on the same frequency at the same time. Since your a different distance from each site the BCD996P2 can’t read the data stream from the control channel or transmissions from the sites. If your real close to one site it might be strong enough to over power the other sites.

Your scanners ability to decode the data will be dependent on location as it receives the seven different sites. You can try lowering your antenna or moving your scanner to different locations in your residence. I have a BCD996XT and a BCD325P2 and they both struggled with the Rockford simulcast system. I could take my BCD325P2 in the car and it worked well in some locations and very sporadic in others. You might be able to aim a Yagi directional antenna to one site and get reliable receptions but there are no guarantees. The only scanners that reliably receive non encrypted simulcast trunked systems are the Uniden SDS100 hand held or SDS200 table top scanners.

Here is a link to the database where you can click onto the FCC License and get the specific location for every StarCom Site in the McHenry county simulcast system.

Olivier04

Your BCD996P2 might be struggling to receive the simulcast system in use in McHenry County. There are seven simulcast sites in McHenry County. All these sites transmit on the same frequency at the same time. Since your a different distance from each site the BCD996P2 can’t read the data stream from the control channel or transmissions from the sites. If your real close to one site it might be strong enough to over power the other sites.

Your scanners ability to decode the data will be dependent on location as it receives the seven different sites. You can try lowering your antenna or moving your scanner to different locations in your residence. I have a BCD996XT and a BCD325P2 and they both struggled with the Rockford simulcast system. I could take my BCD325P2 in the car and it worked well in some locations and very sporadic in others. You might be able to aim a Yagi directional antenna to one site and get reliable receptions but there are no guarantees. The only scanners that reliably receive non encrypted simulcast trunked systems are the Uniden SDS100 hand held or SDS200 table top scanners.

Here is a link to the database where you can click onto the FCC License and get the specific location for every StarCom Site in the McHenry county simulcast system.

Thank you for the information! I changed my system type I was using and now I have the frequencies/talk groups show up when talking. However, some of the transmissions are still broken are sound is not coming through and it might be due to location like you mentioned. As of now I have all the frequencies for the McHenry simulcast site, do you think that getting rid of the other frequencies and only using the one the FD uses ( 851.7375c) would help?

Olivier04

Thank you for the information! I changed my system type I was using and now I have the frequencies/talk groups show up when talking. However, some of the transmissions are still broken are sound is not coming through and it might be due to location like you mentioned. As of now I have all the frequencies for the McHenry simulcast site, do you think that getting rid of the other frequencies and only using the one the FD uses ( 851.7375c) would help?

I'm looking into it, a lot of people on the reviews of the SDS200 say they got it because of their issues with simulcast and location. That's most likely the issue I'm having with my scanner.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
With Simulcast systems, your ability to receive well depends on your proximity to the sites as been pointed out. I have a 325P2, The handheld version of the 996P2. I live in Lake Barrington, just south of you.
I can copy the McHenry, Lake, and Kane county SC21 sites fairly well. This is more relatable to my location than anything. If you are just listening to McHenry County Sheriffs, they are fairly active. Add in the ISP and local EMS and you radio will be busy.

VASCAR2

For your BCD996P2 to receive a trunked site you have to have the control channel frequency programmed into your scanner. It is recommended to program the alternate control channel frequencies in the event the control channel changes. I usually program my scanners manually from the key pad and enter all the frequencies in the database for each site.

On a trunked system the control channel assigns a frequency for each transmission and depending on the amount of traffic and the type of systems dictates (phase I or phase II TDMA) how many and which site frequencies are utilized. I program all the frequencies in the event there is a system change and I don’t want to figure out why my scanner isn’t working.

The site controller assigns frequencies and routes the radio traffic in the background seamlessly in micro seconds in a similar fashion to cell phones. I have never experienced scanning speed slow down or any other issue by programming all the frequencies for each site. The scanner works the same either way. I might be using a little bit more of my scanner’s built in memory by programming every frequency for each site.

Olivier04

With Simulcast systems, your ability to receive well depends on your proximity to the sites as been pointed out. I have a 325P2, The handheld version of the 996P2. I live in Lake Barrington, just south of you.
I can copy the McHenry, Lake, and Kane county SC21 sites fairly well. This is more relatable to my location than anything. If you are just listening to McHenry County Sheriffs, they are fairly active. Add in the ISP and local EMS and you radio will be busy.

I’ve been thinking about putting in ISP district 2, but I’m not sure which site frequencies they use. ISP doesn’t use simulcast do they?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes if you go into the menu and change the decode to "manual 8 or 7 you will possibly get little better receive, D2 is on most local towers,....

N9JIG

Sheriff
I’ve been thinking about putting in ISP district 2, but I’m not sure which site frequencies they use. ISP doesn’t use simulcast do they?

ISP uses the regular Starcom21 towers and in the District 2 area they are almost all simulcast. Put in the sites for your county that are listed in the database and then program in the District 2 talkgroups.