• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Struggling with TRBO IP Site Connect over VPN

radionx

If BOTH sites are behind a CGNAT I see no chance to connect them directly. A router with a proper static IP would be needed which would interconnect these CGNATed nets.

For this, I'd recommend IPSEC, IKEv2.

I don't like L2TP, let alone PPTP.

A provider CGNAT will always interfere.

Dax50

If BOTH sites are behind a CGNAT I see no chance to connect them directly. A router with a proper static IP would be needed which would interconnect these CGNATed nets.

For this, I'd recommend IPSEC, IKEv2.

A provider CGNAT will always interfere.
Both router have a static IP in the Private WAN network. Pinging just works fine so CGNAT shouldn't be a problem

radionx

Both router have a static IP in the Private WAN network. Pinging just works fine so CGNAT shouldn't be a problem
Well, ICMP is another story...

By the way, what does a tracert between the two nets (WAN side) look like...?

Last edited:

Dax50

Well, ICMP is another story...

By the way, what does a tracert between the two nets look like...?
But what scared me, that the UDP packages are routed to the Network and the Port forwarding seems to be correct.

Maybe the repeater needs to be in One subnet.

lynchy135

Feed Provider
But what scared me, that the UDP packages are routed to the Network and the Port forwarding seems to be correct.
With port forwarding enabled, do you see packets correctly getting to the master? Is the masters replies not getting to the peer?

Dax50

With port forwarding enabled, do you see packets correctly getting to the master? Is the masters replies not getting to the peer?
I posted the wireshark logs earlier.
I See Packages from the Master to the Peer and vice versa on both routers lan side.

lynchy135

Feed Provider
But that’s what a VPN enables. Send over the routing tables.
This is not a traditional VPN. It more like private circuit (MPLS, T1, etc). All it is doing is allowing the two routers to connect to each other through the telco.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
This is not a traditional VPN. It more like private circuit (MPLS, T1, etc). All it is doing is allowing the two routers to connect to each other through the telco.
I am fully aware of that. It’s similar to MPLS. However if it is MPLS, then all you need are routes, no VPN.

If you’ve created an additional VPN on top of that, then you should be able to ping the private IPs.

Post the routing tables.

Dax50

Exact this.

I am fully aware of that. It’s similar to MPLS. However if it is MPLS, then all you need are routes, no VPN.

If you’ve created an additional VPN on top of that, then you should be able to ping the private IPs.

Post the routing tables.
Now, unfortunately, I have to differentiate a little further.

On the peer side I use a Teltonika RUTX11. The access point to the "private circuit" is determined via the APN of the 4G. This means that nothing else is configured in the router.

The master side has no SIM card but is connected to the internet via a Fritzbox. To get access to the "private circuit", which is not accessible from the internet, an OpenVPN client is active. The ISP/operator of the "private circuit" provides an OpenVPN server within the "private circuit". On the master side I use a Teltonika RUTXR1. On this site the router route everything to the VPN Server with these push options on the client site:
redirect-gateway def1
dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.1

Dax50

Forget my previous post:poop:

Exact this.

Post the routing tables.
Now, unfortunately, I have to differentiate a little further.

On the peer side I use a Teltonika RUTX11. The access point to the "private circuit" is determined via the APN of the 4G. This means that nothing else is configured in the router.

The master side has no SIM card but is connected to the internet via a Fritzbox. To get access to the "private circuit", which is not accessible from the internet, an OpenVPN client is active. The ISP/operator of the "private circuit" provides an OpenVPN server within the "private circuit". On the master side I use a Teltonika RUTXR1. On this site the router route not everything to the VPN Server.

Here is the master router and peer router routing.

Attachments

• Master Routing.png
    Master Routing.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Peer Routing.png
    Peer Routing.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 11

belvdr

Can you modify the routes? If the operator is truly providing you with a private network, then you should only need routes on either side pointing to the other.
  • Router 1
    • Add route for 192.168.178.0/24 with a gateway of 10.183.30.7
  • Router 2
    • Add route for 192.168.1.0/24 with a gateway of 172.21.25.4
If the routers allow you to add these routes, then try pinging from a device in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to the 192.168.178.0/24 subnet.

Dax50

Can you modify the routes? If the operator is truly providing you with a private network, then you should only need routes on either side pointing to the other.
  • Router 1
    • Add route for 192.168.178.0/24 with a gateway of 10.183.30.7
  • Router 2
    • Add route for 192.168.1.0/24 with a gateway of 172.21.25.4
If the routers allow you to add these routes, then try pinging from a device in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to the 192.168.178.0/24 subnet.
I don't understand the 192.168.178.0/24 Network. The 178 Network is the LAN net of the fritzbox / wan network of the router 1

I think the way is this:

• Router 1 ("Master" Router behind the Fritzbox and with OpenVPN Client) has the LAN Net 192.168.1.0/24
    So i need a route: "route add 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.183.30.7 dev br-lan"
  • Router 2 ("Peer" with 4G direct orivate WAN access) has the LAN Net 192.168.2.0/24
    So i need a route: "route add 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 172.21.25.4 dev br-lan"
But when i try to add the route in router 1 i get an error :-(

Attachments

• Routes.png
    Routes.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 8

belvdr

I think your device should be the tunnel interface. Look at the other routes.

You have a lot going on with the telco and this VPN box. I believe you’re going to need someone with hands on the controls, who understands the underlying architecture. I’d be surprised if your telco couldn’t help you with this.

radionx

But that’s what a VPN enables. Send over the routing tables.
Something is off here...
I don't understand the 192.168.178.0/24 Network. The 178 Network is the LAN net of the fritzbox / wan network of the router 1

I think the way is this:

• Router 1 ("Master" Router behind the Fritzbox and with OpenVPN Client) has the LAN Net 192.168.1.0/24
    So i need a route: "route add 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.183.30.7 dev br-lan"
  • Router 2 ("Peer" with 4G direct orivate WAN access) has the LAN Net 192.168.2.0/24
    So i need a route: "route add 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 172.21.25.4 dev br-lan"
But when i try to add the route in router 1 i get an error :-(
Do the logs on the routers show anything off?

Dax50

I think your device should be the tunnel interface. Look at the other routes.

You have a lot going on with the telco and this VPN box. I believe you’re going to need someone with hands on the controls, who understands the underlying architecture. I’d be surprised if your telco couldn’t help you with this.
Unfortunately, the telecommunications provider does not help. He says that you have to take care of it yourself. I think I have already achieved a lot and there is not much missing to successfully ping the system.

Something is off here...

Do the logs on the routers show anything off?
The router show the message which i get when i try to add the route by hand. I think there is a thinking error.

Interesting is, that the same happen when i try to add the route to the second router. Attached my try:

Attachments

• Route_2.png
    Route_2.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 7

Firebuff880

the most common issue in this would likely be NAT maps between sites and between the IP Subnets of the end points

As I aid before you have a Network Translation Issue, I suspect that the Source and Target IPS are being rewritten in the packets by network Transversal (AKA: Nating a Nated packet). You need to resolve the connection so that the Master and the Peer are ONE hop away in the Virtual subnets. I would also go with a more conventional Router Firewall behind your ISP/Cellular connections. WatchGuard, pfSense, OpnSense, TailScale (WireGuard).