• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stryker Radio's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acepilot340

I've been thinking about getting a Stryker 440, I found a shop that I can buy, and be tuned and aligned for $300. From what I've read this should be the last CB radio you will ever need to buy; anyone here have one that they can give me more insight about?

jackj

Looking at the specs, you might want to consider one that has AM & SSB instead of AM & FM.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This rig is marketed as a "10M Amateur Radio" which raises a red flag right there, that "tuned and aligned" bit means being illegally modified for use on 11M CB. No Amateur transceiver has ever been made with talk back, echo, roger beep or any of that CB garbage, nor are they AM and FM only but rather all modes, if it doesn't have a jack for a Morse key it's not a ham rig. What we have here is clearly an illegal radio slipping through a loophole in federal law, buyer beware. Here's the usual disclaimer with my little addition.

NOTICE
10-Meter Radios are intended for use by amateur radio operators only.
A license from the FCC is required.
Yeah, with or without a license if you use it on 10M with those noise makers we'll hang you from your own antenna and use you for target practice!

No matter CB or ham stay legal, stay safe, stay well and by all means stay normal. If you want to fly like an eagle don't run with the turkeys.

Last edited:

acepilot340

This shop does NOT install noise makers, I only plan on using the D band ch 1-40 to communicate about road conditions and other topics that may come up along the way. I have very basic knowledge about CB; I know that proper tuning of the antenna is key, but even with a properly tuned antenna TX/RX on a Cobra 19 you buy at Walmart is only going to get you 2 miles of range. I have no clue what 10/11 meter means so I'm sure it doesn't apply to me talking to other drivers. I'm just looking to have a CB that I can get 15-20 miles range and this one seems the best.

SCPD

QRT
that radio is very nice, it is loud with the right mic behind it and a good wilson antenna you can talk far, i ran the RCI2950 for years with a 2 watt dead key and 30 watt swing i could get out real good ... the stryker radios done right will be a fine radio that is my next buy... used right the cb can be fun to talk on but you do have fools out there

kb2vxa

Banned
"This shop does NOT install noise makers..."
I never said they did, all that mess comes straight from the factory. What I DID say is the shop illegally modifies the radio to operate on CB voiding the FCC certification IF it is certifiable in the first place and I doubt it being it's classified as an "export" model. I'll bet you a cop's doughnut you'll find it on the FCC "banned" list.

"I have very basic knowledge about CB..."
Then I suggest you learn more, especially the rules and regulations and stay legal that you don't inadvertently end up in the "rat pack" CB is famous for. Don't be a fool, stay cool.

prcguy

Its not illegal to modify the 10m radio to transmit on CB or to own such a radio, transmitting on CB with it is obviously not kosher.
prcguy

"This shop does NOT install noise makers..."
I never said they did, all that mess comes straight from the factory. What I DID say is the shop illegally modifies the radio to operate on CB voiding the FCC certification IF it is certifiable in the first place and I doubt it being it's classified as an "export" model. I'll bet you a cop's doughnut you'll find it on the FCC "banned" list.

"I have very basic knowledge about CB..."
Then I suggest you learn more, especially the rules and regulations and stay legal that you don't inadvertently end up in the "rat pack" CB is famous for. Don't be a fool, stay cool.

jackj

Read the rules and regs.

Its not illegal to modify the 10m radio to transmit on CB or to own such a radio, transmitting on CB with it is obviously not kosher.
prcguy

Before any transceiver can be sold in the USofA, it must be Type Accepted by the FCC. There are a whole lot of technical tests it must pass before it can earn a Type Acceptance. A transceiver, Type Accepted for use on the amateur bands, can transmit with a maximum power input of 2,000 watts PEP (Peak Envelope Power) or 1,000 watts CW (Continuous Wave). A transceiver, Type Accepted for use on the CB band, can transmit with a maximum power input of 10 watts PEP or 5 watts of CW. Modifying a radio in such a way that it no longer meets its Type Acceptance is against the law. So it IS illegal to modify a 10 meter transceiver to transmit on CB. It may not be illegal to own such a transceiver but it is illegal to operate such a radio.

prcguy

Ummm, no its not. You can modify a a type accepted 10m or any other radio to to transmit anywhere you want then parade it around your local FCC engineers office and all he can do is ask you to leave with your legal radio.

This exact question of modifying amateur radios was asked of Riley Hollingsworth from the FCC in a public forum and he admitted there are no restrictions on modifying radios for wide band transmit.
prcguy

Modifying a radio in such a way that it no longer meets its Type Acceptance is against the law. So it IS illegal to modify a 10 meter transceiver to transmit on CB. It may not be illegal to own such a transceiver but it is illegal to operate such a radio.

Last edited:

prcguy

BTW, your power ratings for FCC type acceptance are wrong, they have not used input power calculations for maybe 25yrs and how would an SSB radio with 10w PEP input power be able to make the legal 12w output power?
prcguy

Before any transceiver can be sold in the USofA, it must be Type Accepted by the FCC. There are a whole lot of technical tests it must pass before it can earn a Type Acceptance. A transceiver, Type Accepted for use on the amateur bands, can transmit with a maximum power input of 2,000 watts PEP (Peak Envelope Power) or 1,000 watts CW (Continuous Wave). A transceiver, Type Accepted for use on the CB band, can transmit with a maximum power input of 10 watts PEP or 5 watts of CW. Modifying a radio in such a way that it no longer meets its Type Acceptance is against the law. So it IS illegal to modify a 10 meter transceiver to transmit on CB. It may not be illegal to own such a transceiver but it is illegal to operate such a radio.

kb2vxa

Banned
"Its not illegal to modify the 10m radio to transmit on CB or to own such a radio, transmitting on CB with it is obviously not kosher."

Keep on thinking that way and it won't be long before you join the ranks of the busted. Mere possession of illegal equipment constitutes intent to use, many have been nailed when the FCC came calling and found something just sitting there not connected to anything.

"This exact question of modifying amateur radios was asked of Riley Hollingsworth from the FCC in a public forum and he admitted there are no restrictions on modifying radios for wide band transmit."

That statement was taken entirely out of context and has absolutely nothing to do with the subject under discussion. I'm quite sure he was more specific than "wide band transmit" which could mean just about anything you want it to, the man is no fool.

"Ummm, no its not. You can modify a a type accepted 10m or any other radio to to transmit anywhere you want then parade it around your local FCC engineers office and all he can do is ask you to leave with your legal radio."

Try it sometime and see where it gets you, if nothing else you will leave minus a radio. Although Amateur transmitters must meet stringent spectral purity requirements they need no FCC certification (type acceptance is an outmoded term) unless you manufacture more than one unit per year. Obviously that means commercially produced Amateur transmitters must be certified. Any way you look at it the certification requirements for non Amateur (eg CB) transmitters are completely different and fall into separate categories each according to the radio service in which it's used. Any modifications require re-certification because the manufacturer's original cert becomes null and void, you may not use non certified transmitters on CB or any service other than Amateur.

At this point I shall discontinue this pointless argument with those ignorant of FCC rules and regulations and think they know better. CBers seem to think they can do as they darn well please so I'll just leave you to your own devices and taking your chances, if what I have been saying hasn't sunk in yet it never will.

pliquett

Back to the original question the Stryker 440 is a very nice radio but can be a little testy if not properly adjusted and they have quit a few knobs to tinker with. If you are just starting out you might consider a Galaxy 33 or 44 or a General Lee. Less to mess with and a little cheaper. As for "legality" I have never known anyone to get busted using a mod radio. A cobra, uniden or radio shack store shelf radio would get stomped on.

acepilot340

Thanks for the advice pliquett, I have owned a Cobra 19 for a few years now and even with the Wilson mag mount antenna tuned properly as close to 1.0 as I can get it I am still 10-9 everywhere. I'm sure I can learn all the functions of the radio, so once I have enough saved up i'll pick it up.

My next question is how well will the radio perform with this NMO Antenna I plan on installing.

Larsen 27-31 MHz CB Antenna with LOW LOSS NMO Mount - eBay (item 220404662812 end time Feb-21-10 22:03:44 PST)

gewecke

Banned
Excellent antenna if you have something sensible to pair it with! Outlaw export cb's are not a good choice.
n9zas

K4NNW

This rig is marketed as a "10M Amateur Radio" which raises a red flag right there, that "tuned and aligned" bit means being illegally modified for use on 11M CB. No Amateur transceiver has ever been made with talk back, echo, roger beep or any of that CB garbage, nor are they AM and FM only but rather all modes, if it doesn't have a jack for a Morse key it's not a ham rig. What we have here is clearly an illegal radio slipping through a loophole in federal law, buyer beware. Here's the usual disclaimer with my little addition.

First of all, quite a few ham rigs have 'talkback,' although manufacturers don't call it this. They call it 'monitor.' As for echo and roger beep, I'll give ya that one... never mind any of that rubbish of repeater courtesy tones.
I also must ask... are HT's and FM dual-banders not 'real ham rigs due to lack of a key jack?
And yes, it is illegal, although I'm not sure what 'loophole' you're referencing...

jackj

Very few HF ham rigs do not have the ability to operate CW. Very few FM VHF and UHF rigs do have the ability to operate CW. From reading KB2VXA'S statements, it is plain to me that he is commenting on 10 meter HF rigs. Why not comment on what was said instead of what you wish was said?

Status
Not open for further replies.