• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stryker SR-955HPC Video: Unboxing My New Export CB Radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorZ

I didn't know that CB had moved to 10 meters! I must have been ripped off, because mine only has 40 channels.

Not very many people who've been into CB for a long time have "basic" CB anymore. In fact, almost every CBer I know isn't even on the 40 channels anymore. They've all moved up a few and are on SSB.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
C.B. being a waste land is one thing, but 10 Meters also? I guess a voice to text to cw converter would allow for reasonable communications without the garbage.

Thanks for clarifying.
Joel

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
C.B. being a waste land is one thing, but 10 Meters also? I guess a voice to text to cw converter would allow for reasonable communications without the garbage.

Thanks for clarifying.
Joel

Well...most don't use it on 10m, since all but the stupid ones know that's asking for a coax cutting party (at the least). But these 10m radios are modified to cover CB with added power, and additional frequencies. Usually, they operate just below the CB band, or just above, between CB and 10m.

DoctorZ

Thanks for clarifying.
Joel

Joel,

They are NOT 10-meter radios. If you look on the back you'll see they aren't FCC certified. That's why they are called "Export." They are designed to be CB's but they are labeled 10-Meter rigs so the sellers don't get in trouble for selling illegal radios. There are a lot of Ham Radios that are Mars/Cap modded and used on 11-meters too. The problem with that is everyone of them drops to 25W on AM and sounds like crap (unless it's an old Collins tube rig.) These radios are more less using Ham Radio specs (but way cheaper components) and being used on 11-Meters.

There isn't much going on on 11-Meters anymore. Local contacts are pretty much LSB 38 unless skip is rolling in. Most are talking in between the bands these days and unless they cause harmful interference, the FCC doesn't care.

DoctorZ

Well...most don't use it on 10m, since all but the stupid ones know that's asking for a coax cutting party (at the least). But these 10m radios are modified to cover CB with added power, and additional frequencies. Usually, they operate just below the CB band, or just above, between CB and 10m.

I should add one more thing to this. The majority of CBers using Export Radios are also Ham Operators: Tech Class. However Ham Radio is REGULATED and is enforced fairly well. CB on the other hand has been abandoned by the FCC and there is something about running lawless like the old West. The guy with the biggest gun (or most powerful radio) gets the most respect as long as he doesn't get caught.

DoctorZ

Four hundred bucks for a CB radio? I'll pass.

That's what I paid for my modified Uniden President 2510 back in 1994. The radio was about $235, and then another $175 went into mods for 11-meters. That was typical for that time. I'd say the price is fair considering it's 26 years later and the Stryker has better tech in it.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen one yet that modulates at 100W on AM, or that sounds clean and clear on AM outside of the Ham Bands.

Then you simply don't understand how AM works. They all modulate to the full output power of the radio, with 100% modulation. I believe the CBers call that "swing." ;). Your Stryker works the exact same way. I promise.

All my ham radios sound great on AM. They're not loud and overdriven like you would expect from using power mics and clipped audio limiters, rather they sound like a studio. I have gotten unsolicited reports that the fidelity is so clear, it sounds like I'm sitting in the room next to them. I don't use a lot of AM, so I don't particularly work on my AM signal either. There are plenty who do, and they literally sound like AM broadcast stations.

Though I will admit, back in the day before I got my license, my Grant XL with a D104 Golden Eagle did sound very, very nice on AM.

Enjoy the Stryker! I've heard good things about them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I haven't seen one yet that modulates at 100W on AM, or that sounds clean and clear on AM outside of the Ham Bands.
They are rated 40-50W RF output. Why would you expect 100? As to the rest, it's clear you don't own one.

jhooten

That's what I paid for my modified Uniden President 2510 back in 1994. The radio was about $235, and then another $175 went into mods for 11-meters. That was typical for that time. I'd say the price is fair considering it's 26 years later and the Stryker has better tech in it.

For $400 I can get a nice used FT-857/IC-706 with a "MARS" mod and do everything an "Export CB" will do and so much more.

DoctorZ

For $400 I can get a nice used FT-857/IC-706 with a "MARS" mod and do everything an "Export CB" will do and so much more.

It may do everything an Export CB does, but how does it sound on AM? Muffled. I like LOUD, CRISP, CLEAR audio that forces one to turn the volume knob down, but CLEAN, wouldn't want to bleet over onto adjacent channels.....

Status
Not open for further replies.