STS-129 Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Space Shuttle Atlantis is set to take off today at 2:28pm EST. There will be three EVAs on this mission so plenty of opportunities to catch them on VHF. Please post any comms recieved during this mission.

cdesigns

Space Shuttle Atlantis is set to take off today at 2:28pm EST. There will be three EVAs on this mission so plenty of opportunities to catch them on VHF. Please post any comms recieved during this mission.

I just watched the take off from my backyard, but I can't pick any comunications because I can't scan the 200mhz band with my scanner :(

SCPD

QRT
Awesome! I wished I was there. I had to settle for NASA TV. Any pics you would like to share if you snapped any? I got to get down there before the last shuttle flight to see that it must be an incredible sight.

WB2UZR

I snagged about 20 seconds or so of audio from 259.7 during the launch. I was going to attach it here, but it looks like you can't attach wav files. Viewing was fair, with some clouds here in Melbourne.

Scott/WB2UZR

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You can hear that audio if you are a Premium subscriber and go to the log files here.

SCPD

QRT
WA3NAN is up and running rebroadcasting of NASA transmissions on 3.860MHz LSB real time.Hearing them loud and clear up hear in Providence,RI.

cdesigns

Awesome! I wished I was there. I had to settle for NASA TV. Any pics you would like to share if you snapped any? I got to get down there before the last shuttle flight to see that it must be an incredible sight.

Is very nice to see up close on cape canaveral area, but here from home in Clermont is very visible. I didn't had time to take picture because I didn't remenber my wife call me to look outside.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

Rather unlikely to hear them direct during their EVAs unless you have a pretty good setup. They generally don't rebroadcast these comms on the ham freqs from the Station due to the possibility of overloading the suit radios. In fact I know that during an EVA they shut the ham station down. Of course, NASA could do this...

Of much more interest is the fact that a couple of new antennas are being mounted on the Columbus module, and the unused Ericcson radios are also being moved there (per the ARRL website). I would hope there would be time during the mission to run some tests.

73 Mike

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Rather unlikely to hear them direct during their EVAs unless you have a pretty good setup. They generally don't rebroadcast these comms on the ham freqs from the Station due to the possibility of overloading the suit radios. In fact I know that during an EVA they shut the ham station down. Of course, NASA could do this...

They aren't broadcast on ham freq's - they are in the 259MHz range. And you can hear them on a portable even, but only for a very short time and only if they pass overhead during the EVA.

They won't do any testing of those antennas while the shuttle is docked - that's scheduled for after departure.

SCPD

QRT
These are the freqs I have programmed in the scanner for monitoring EVA and ARISS activities. Anybody have anything to add?

SHUTTLE>259.700
SHUTTLE>296.800
ISS EVA>121.750
ISS EVA>130.167
STS EVA>410.200
ARISS>145.8000
ISS RUSSIA > 143.6250,130.1687
ISS EVA>121.125

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
The FL/Brevard Co/KSC feed also includes the 259MHz range air-to-ground comms on the right channel (the KSC trunked is on the left.) So if you go to the archives from launch time, you can hear the shuttle talking to mission control via the UHF.

Today (Monday) is the last EVA on this mission.

clawhammer

Sts-129

I was able to watch the shuttle go up from my location, I live here in Zephyrhills about 30 miles from Tampa. I was able to take some pictures as they were on there way up to space. I will upload them here.

Allen

Attachments

• DSCF4380.jpg
    DSCF4380.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF4381.jpg
    DSCF4381.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.