Stubby/Racing Antenna - SMA connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj007

Just curious to what people are using for a stubby/racing antenna with a SMA connector? I was originally leaning toward the Comet Miracle Baby (SMA-501), but some reviews of the product seem less than favorable... The majority of all other stubby/racing antennas have a BNC connector.

Thoughts?

FYI: Radio type = Uniden 396T

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
jj007 said:
Just curious to what people are using for a stubby/racing antenna with a SMA connector? I was originally leaning toward the Comet Miracle Baby (SMA-501), but some reviews of the product seem less than favorable... The majority of all other stubby/racing antennas have a BNC connector.

Thoughts?

FYI: Radio type = Uniden 396T

The SMA-501 should be fine for use at a race track, if all you're interested in is the activity at the track.

Or, you might try the Diamond SRH805S. Close to the Comet SMA-501 in size, and works about the same, sometimes a little better. YMMV.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
jj007 said:
Do you have the specifications of the Diamond SRH805? I'm googling the web and it looks like two different specs are listed...
ref 1) http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/3317.html
ref 2) http://www.diamond-ant.jp/ama2/eng_ama_2_3_3.asp

I curious to the correct gain and power rating...

Also, do you have a gap requiring a rubber washer with the SMA connector on the 805 and Uniden 396T?
Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the Diamond SRH805 and the SRH805S? I've Googled the crap out of the two and searched the forums here and haven't had any luck.

I know the 805S is designed for Yaesu equipment, listed as SMA-P. I just want to make sure that it'll connect to a BCD396T without any problems. Reason being I've found an 805S on eBay for almost half the price of an 805 listed elsewhere. I've seen pictures in other threads of an 805 on a 396T, but haven't seen any of an 805S in action.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Bolt21 said:
Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the Diamond SRH805 and the SRH805S? I've Googled the crap out of the two and searched the forums here and haven't had any luck.

I know the 805S is designed for Yaesu equipment, listed as SMA-P. I just want to make sure that it'll connect to a BCD396T without any problems. Reason being I've found an 805S on eBay for almost half the price of an 805 listed elsewhere. I've seen pictures in other threads of an 805 on a 396T, but haven't seen any of an 805S in action.

I have one that's labeled, "SRH805S", and it fits my BCD396 without problems. I don't know if there's any difference between this one and one without the "S" suffix.

This antenna, as well as many SMA antennas I have used, leaves a very tiny gap at the bottom, it doesn't screw down 100%. Diamond (or Comet, can't recall which) supplies a flat rubber washer that fits between the antenna and the radio to fill the tiny gap. The gap doesn't affect the antennas performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.