Stuck carrier on U-Tac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
For the last week I have been getting in my car a dead carrier on U-Tac 1 (453.4625)it does drop off briefly but comes right back up, and I have tried contacting the licensee by radio, but no one answers.
I get a decent signal from when I leave my house (1100ft elevation) in Dutchess County then on and off down to Mid Westchester County by the Hudson. At no time does it get really strong as in full quieting as indicated on the signal meter of my CDM. It does increase in strength from just barely breaking squelch as I travel from my home to the Taconic Parkway at Peekskill Hollow. All along Rt 301 in Kent then RT 6 and Taconic Parkway and then down by the Hudson River in Croton/ Ossining area.
I am guessing it might be in Long Island or Rockland Counties. If anyone could just listen and see it they have a strong carrier I might be able to narrow it down. I intend to do a search on the FCC database this morning and see how many licenses there are in lets say 50 mi radius of Westchester.
Besides jamming the channel I am sure their transmitter is eventually going to be damaged by the constant key up.

Now looking at the database it could be in Conn too.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
it does drop off briefly but comes right back up, and I have tried contacting the licensee by radio, but no one answers.

Does it drop out at the exact same regular interval? Could it be a time out timer on a base unkeying, but not set to stay down until the received signal is lost so instead it's immediately rekeying?

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Could it be a fixed point-to-point link with constant transmit? We have one of those here in the Albany area, but on 460/465.2875 MHz. Dispatch to remote base and back. Both transmitters are always in constant transmit with carrier, and keying/function tones are used to control the remote transmitter.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I took a listen to this frequency while at work in Dix Hills, and at the home QTH, (North Massapequa), and I don't hear the continuous carrier.

radioman2001

I had a job in Queens Saturday by LGA, and all the way down 684 and the Hutch Parkway it varied in strength but never dropped out. I am still thinking Long Island or Rockland. If I didn't know better by looking up licensee's I'd say it was on Alpine.
I see New Rochelle has a license as does NYC, but the only thing I can say for sure about my road trip is the signal never got to full quieting. White Plains has their transmitter up on a tall building as does NYC so I guess it's time to pull out he old yagi and do some RDF.
One of my other techs used a fixed site Yagi and he was getting due North from Croton on Hudson, but maybe it's the back side of the antenna he is getting his readings.

jim202

Could it be a fixed point-to-point link with constant transmit? We have one of those here in the Albany area, but on 460/465.2875 MHz. Dispatch to remote base and back. Both transmitters are always in constant transmit with carrier, and keying/function tones are used to control the remote transmitter.

The National Interoperability channels are not to be used for full time linking of remote bases. If someone is using them for that purpose, then they will eventually get a visit from the FCC.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I hear this signal in Orange county with a pl of 156.7.

A search of the database shows East Fishkill listed with this frequency and pl.

453.46250 M 156.7 PL EFshkl IntOp Interior Operations FMN Fire-Tac

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I hear this signal in Orange county with a pl of 156.7.

453.46250 M 156.7 PL EFshkl IntOp Interior Operations FMN Fire-Tac

I'm in Wappingers, pretty close to east fishkill and I hear no open carriers.

radioman2001

Quote"I hear this signal in Orange county with a pl of 156.7.

453.46250 M 156.7 PL EFshkl IntOp Interior Operations FMN Fire-Tac"

Which database? I just went through the FCC ULS and found nothing in E Fishkill. I know they are using it for Interior, but mobile only,(no license required) the carrier is definitly a repeater.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I know they are using it for Interior, but mobile only,(no license required) the carrier is definitly a repeater.

The UTACs are NOT for agency fireground channels! A license is not required for mobile/portable, BUT the channels are for interoperability, not single agency operations.
The only exception are grandfathered licenses, who had a license pre-2002 or so. Their use is now secondary to interop uses as long as they have a license still.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Quote"I hear this signal in Orange county with a pl of 156.7.

453.46250 M 156.7 PL EFshkl IntOp Interior Operations FMN Fire-Tac"

Which database? I just went through the FCC ULS and found nothing in E Fishkill. I know they are using it for Interior, but mobile only,(no license required) the carrier is definitly a repeater.

The radioreference database look here. Scroll down to wear it says East Fishkill.

Dutchess County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

See it now ?

Maybe it is a mobile or portable malfunctioning.

The pl tone matches what is being broadcast.

Last edited:

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Utacs are always 156.7 that is the nationwide standard.
I hope east Fishkill is not using them for fireground for themselves. That's not the intent, its more of a mutual aid channel.

jim202

Status
Not open for further replies.