• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stuck XG-100M

gdsteele

I downloaded a modified mission plan to my XG-100m with a CH100 head. The only thing modified was the frequency of a 2M simplex channel. After I did the download, the radio comes up on the first channel of the first zone programmed, but the channel selector and the touch screen buttons do nothing. I tried downloading the original mission plan, but the radio doesn't do anything when RPM14 tries to communicate over USB. RPM says "Initializing" and then goes away. When I try to use the serial port on the radio, RPM can't communicate with the radio and tells me to check the port settings and wiring. I have tried using a null modem on the serial cable as well with no luck.

The power switch when turned off takes a good 10 seconds to turn off the radio. I have tried unplugging the radio from the power supply for a couple of hours, and no luck with that either.

Does anyone know of a way to force a radio reboot, or a radio reset to factory settings?

Thanks,

Jerry

gdsteele

Ok - an update.....
I thought the ribbon cable between the head and the radio was bad. It looked like one of the contacts had broken off. I ordered a replacement, installed it, and the problem is still there.

Would anyone know of a friendly radio shop that might be willing to take a look at it for me? I'll ship it anywhere!!!

- Jerry

merlin

Sounds like someting interupted your download to the radio, a power outage, bad cable connection.
That can have some bad effects, but RPM should still talk to the radio.
Try Putty, if that doesn't work, then the download failed writing your bootbin.

gdsteele

I have not tried Putty. Would I use the USB port in the head or the serial port on the radio? Are there commands I can send? Would it give me something after it boots?

How would I re-download if RPM doesn't talk to it ? Any ideas?

merlin

No. use the DB9 RS232 on the back of the brick with a plain RS232 cable.
9600 N-8-1. Send 'ati' it should respond with radio information.

gdsteele

Thanks Merlin. I had to change the baud rate to 19.2, but I'm talking to the radio. ati does give me the latest information. I don't see in the command list (a ? at the * prompt) a way to reset the radio. I tried to program the radio, but no luck. Any ideas what to try next? I am very relieved that the radio is at least responding to commends.

merlin

OK, power up from cold, what displays on the front ?
Any error messages ?
Are you using the same port in RPM that you set in Putty ?

gdsteele

This is what I get when I power on.

1725486139166.png

It detects the CH unity head.

This is what I get after I try to read the radio.

1725486192680.png

This time it detects a non unity device. Any ideas? I have RPM going through the front head USB and Putty connected to the rear serial port.

merlin

I would just ignore the difference, at least it is recognizing the head.

Teotwaki

I downloaded a modified mission plan to my XG-100m with a CH100 head. The only thing modified was the frequency of a 2M simplex channel. After I did the download, the radio comes up on the first channel of the first zone programmed, but the channel selector and the touch screen buttons do nothing. I tried downloading the original mission plan, but the radio doesn't do anything when RPM14 tries to communicate over USB. RPM says "Initializing" and then goes away. When I try to use the serial port on the radio, RPM can't communicate with the radio and tells me to check the port settings and wiring. I have tried using a null modem on the serial cable as well with no luck.

The power switch when turned off takes a good 10 seconds to turn off the radio. I have tried unplugging the radio from the power supply for a couple of hours, and no luck with that either.

Does anyone know of a way to force a radio reboot, or a radio reset to factory settings?

Thanks,

Jerry

Open up RPM Maintenance, make sure the right Comm port is selected then try the "Jump" button for a reboot.