Study Time Prior to Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMAZE

I am curious the amount of time it took members before writing the exam? I am still slogging away and sometimes feel like I am going backwards, I don't get to study uninterrupted alot and so anxious to be able to start talking but in the meantime I am listening with my Yaesu FT-70DR and just picked up a Arrow 2 dual band portable yagi 146/437-10 which is so cool and seems to work amazing.

Just curious if anyone has taken more than 2 months before writing.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I am curious the amount of time it took members before writing the exam?
Obviously, this would depend on the individual. Folks have different environments, different ways of learning, different backgrounds, and so on. If we're talking about the Technician level and memory serves, it's a 35-question, multiple-choice exam. Passing, I believe, is 75% and all of the questions come from a standard pool of questions that is available for study (lots of online study sites). If you've been working from a book, give one of the online methods a try... most use a flashcard method, with the answers highlighted.

Whoops - I just noticed that you're probably talking about the Canada test... of which I have no knowledge. Sorry!

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Hey QMAZE, not to hijack your question; wondering what you were using to study from? Fellow Ontario user possibly looking to get licensed soon as well.

Best of luck with the studying and test!

QMAZE

Obviously, this would depend on the individual. Folks have different environments, different ways of learning, different backgrounds, and so on. If we're talking about the Technician level and memory serves, it's a 35-question, multiple-choice exam. Passing, I believe, is 75% and all of the questions come from a standard pool of questions that is available for study (lots of online study sites). If you've been working from a book, give one of the online methods a try... most use a flashcard method, with the answers highlighted.

Whoops - I just noticed that you're probably talking about the Canada test... of which I have no knowledge. Sorry!
No worries, appreciate your comment and makes sense. I am doing the basic course, not advanced.

QMAZE

Hey QMAZE, not to hijack your question; wondering what you were using to study from? Fellow Ontario user possibly looking to get licensed soon as well.

Best of luck with the studying and test!
Hey no worries of hijacking. I did get the Basic study guide thru coaxpublications and also using the test app to go thru the questions. For myself I am hands on and have never been able to sit still for more than 10 minutes reading but I am slowly going through the various chapters, getting a bit hung up on the components but in time I will get it. It is great listening though to all the hams out there, and going on Fusion, Wires-X, FM etc..

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I am curious the amount of time it took members before writing the exam? I am still slogging away and sometimes feel like I am going backwards, I don't get to study uninterrupted alot and so anxious to be able to start talking ...

When I was studying for my Novice, Technician and General, I studied about 30-60 minutes at a time. Some of that was also learning the "code". Some days, I'd study for two, shorter, sessions.

When I studied for my Extra, my sessions were about 30-45 minutes a day, plus time for practice tests. My study period was about 2 weeks before I felt ready to take the test.

Your mileage with vary and you will want to find a mode of study and study guide that works for you. You should make an effort to actually learn as much of the material as possible, not just learn the answers for the test.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
When I took my test there was not as many study guides available as there is now. My main resource was a book titled ’Look Who’s Talking Now’ which had a sample test at the end of the each chapter, then a final test at the end of the book. I spent about an hour a day on it for about 3 weeks and aced the test. A great study guide that was recommended by a fellow ham who is now a silent key ... :(

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a very individual thing, and there's no way anyone can answer that for you unless they are involved in helping you prep. I passed General on my first try with minimal prep, but only because I've been involved with radio for years and already knew most of the technical stuff. But if you don't have that background, you're going to have to invest time and effort into learning the basics. How much depends on your starting knowledge level, the consistency of your study efforts, and a lot of other things unique to you.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The Canadian 'Basic' entry exam is considerably harder than the U.S. Tech exam. But if you pass with over 80% you get full access to the HF Bands.

You might want to look around and see if there are any clubs in your area that offer classes.. Quite a few do, but I'm not sure what the status is now with Covid. Amateur Radio Courses

In case you aren't aware, you can obtain study questions, or take full practice exams generated by Industry Canada... Amateur radio exam generator - Amateur radio operator certificates

jefflite

Premium Subscriber
Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC) is holding online courses for basic and advanced using go to meeting. I believe you have to buy a membership to sign up. I recently completed and passed my advanced using this resource. There is a basic course starting now or very soon but they do come around from time to time.

Another excellent resource is online here: ExHAMiner V2.5

The exhaminer program is very similar to the above exam generator, but I found it to be a better resource for my learning. It gives you the related questions you need to know from the question bank. If you miss a question, there is a place to click on the answer to give you a detailed explanation.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
hamstudy.org has an on-line program for both U.S. and Canadian amateurs, the latter even being in English or French for both Basic and Advanced. Best of all it is totally free!

All questions in the pool(s) are listed as well as the correct answers and even 'hints' or 'memory joggers' to help.

As you grow more confident, you can take as many practice exams as you wish. Each exam is unique, although some questions will appear more frequently than others.

Once you have managed to consistently score 90% or better, then you are prepared for the real test(s)! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.