Stuff You Wish You Still Had

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Those McKays were definitely keepers from the day!

Here is a 1978 Fender Precision Bass Guitar and Case like the one I got when I was fresh out of college playing in a group. Sold it and the 200 Watt Peavey Amp Head and speaker cabinet with two 15 inch Celestions when I got married and had kids because there was nowhere to store them in a small house with three kids and a wife. LOL! Here are lookalike pictures of what I wish I had kept:

c02l13i1tukn3wsk7vth.jpg

pdxzl5m98n07rgzzvoz0.jpg

MrColad

Those McKays were definitely keepers from the day!

Here is a 1978 Fender Precision Bass Guitar and Case like the one I got when I was fresh out of college playing in a group. Sold it and the 200 Watt Peavey Amp Head and speaker cabinet with two 15 inch Celestions when I got married and had kids because there was nowhere to store them in a small house with three kids and a wife. LOL! Here are lookalike pictures of what I wish I had kept:

c02l13i1tukn3wsk7vth.jpg

pdxzl5m98n07rgzzvoz0.jpg

Oh man to give up that Fender must've killed you. Man, I mean just man.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My 1964 Mustang that I bought when they were introduced. Sorry, no picture because I sold it when I joined the Air Force. :(

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Great topic! Had one of these puppies (Yamaha XJ650) during the early '90s. Still remember the sound of it idling. Being a shaft drive always made giving it a handful a bit scary, but youth has no regard for danger. (Bike in pic sadly not mine).Seca1.jpg

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I hope it wasn't a Ford Mustang GT350H 1964 Shelby Cobra as modeled below. But I do want to thank you for your service to the United States of America!
Ford%20Mustang%20GT350H%201964%20Shelby%20Cobra%204344_1.jpg
No, it was "just" a Mustang (4 speed, 289 cid, tach & clock straddling the steering column, etc.) and with a lot of chicks sometimes hanging around it. :)

And, thanks is not necessary. I was brought up to believe it's what you did to pay for living in this country.

k9wkj

my 2 Motorola Micom HF radios
control head looked like a Mocom with 12 channels and a sideband selection switch
rock bound, companded audio , 120 watt solid state battery drainers!

ridgescan

Two particular radios that I still have but stopped running are my R71A and Transoceanic 3000-1. I sure do miss them a lot. The R71a breaking down though prompted me to run out and but my R8600 so at least there's that. Here are two videos of those two radios when they were running.

Far as off-topic stuff I wish I still had

my Mom
my Dad
our miniature Schnauzer "Chippy"
my '68 GTO
my '68 Cutlass 442
my '79 Malibu California coupe
my Kawi KZ1100
my youth-I was having a LOT of fun.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So in 1963 my uncle gave me my first shortwave radio, it was the guts of a stand-up zenith shortwave. I just had the chassis with the tubes exposed but had the round dial.

He was a ham operator and he hooked me up with a grounded 200-foot copper wire insulated antenna. What a great radio that was with terrific reception. Big speaker just sitting on my desk.

I was 10 years old but needless to say that started it all and it was the start of a terrific Hobby.

That swl experience led to tunable police monitors, then to Crystal scanners and I ended up becoming a newspaper man. I'm 66 now and retired.

I wish I had that Zenith shortwave radio. Of course I wish I still had my uncle too, he passed in 1974.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Stuff I wish I still had........................My 1969 Z28 Camaro, White with black stripes, center console with gauge pack, rear disc brakes and the original DZ 302 motor. Four speed with 3.73:1 rear end gears. The 302 was quite a motor....4" bore and a 3" stroke. They came out with the 302 so Chevrolet could race in the Cam Am series. Used to do 1 / 2 shifts at 7000 RPM.......and the motor was still pulling hard. Pretty mild mannered car......till the tach ran up to about 3500 RPM, then, HOLD ON! What a fun car!

majoco

Stirrer
I got this ex-Gummint Marconi R1475 as a birthday present when I was about 11 years old....

R1475 Martin & Dad sml.jpg

..and I still had it in the late 60' s when I was living in an apartment with my then girlfriend. I was in the process of reconditioning the radio with a nice coat of Hammerite but we split up. I was full of good intentions of going to patch it up with the girlfriend and the radio but it never happened. I wonder where they both are now.....

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Sold a Tempo One, my first HF radio some time ago. Bought it in '76. I missed that radio over the years so I bought a used one, fixed it up and now I have it for occasional contacts on HF. Will not make the mistake of selling it again.

My other favorite radio was the Panasonic RF-2200 which I sold many years ago, missed it very much so I got two of them now, never will sell those either

Attachments

• 100_5992.JPG
    100_5992.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_6813.JPG
    100_6813.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Radio stuff? Icom R-71, Collins 51J3 and Kenwood TR-751a
Non-radio? SST Racer with Sabre 190 and 160 reserve w/AAD. (If you don't know what those are, it isn't important to know).

MrColad

Radio stuff? Icom R-71, Collins 51J3 and Kenwood TR-751a
Non-radio? SST Racer with Sabre 190 and 160 reserve w/AAD. (If you don't know what those are, it isn't important to know).

Wowee. SSP Racers were a great alternative to slot cars for small play areas. Dogs went nuts and cats headed for the hills, ha ha ha, to be young again.

sspracers.jpg

MrColad

Two particular radios that I still have but stopped running are my R71A and Transoceanic 3000-1. I sure do miss them a lot. The R71a breaking down though prompted me to run out and but my R8600 so at least there's that. Here are two videos of those two radios when they were running.

Far as off-topic stuff I wish I still had

my Mom
my Dad
our miniature Schnauzer "Chippy"
my '68 GTO
my '68 Cutlass 442
my '79 Malibu California coupe
my Kawi KZ1100
my youth-I was having a LOT of fun.

The Icom R71 and it's VHF/UHF cousin the R7000 were cutting edge for their time. Personally I felt they performed better then their replacements the R75 and the R8500.

UN66lrg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.