stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrova

Got my new psr 500 today. So, just to play and learn and see if I could go through loading this thing mysefl, I used win500 and went through RR and picked up the Virginia State police frequencies (or whatever). Downloaded them into a scanlist one. It shows up in win500 and shows up on the scanner. But, when I try to scan the list, I get the message *** No TSYS! *** which flashes.
Here's what's on the screen:

01-0000 TGRP p1D
ID: 1
Richmond 1
TSYS

The message flashes on the same line as the Richmond 1. Need help. Love the scanner, just need help.
Thanks!
SV

Forgot to add, if needed. I'm in Chesterfield, VA...looking to load Virginia State Police frequencies.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
You need to make sure you're

mrova said:
Got my new psr 500 today. So, just to play and learn and see if I could go through loading this thing mysefl, I used win500 and went through RR and picked up the Virginia State police frequencies (or whatever). Downloaded them into a scanlist one. It shows up in win500 and shows up on the scanner. But, when I try to scan the list, I get the message *** No TSYS! *** which flashes.
Here's what's on the screen:

01-0000 TGRP p1D
ID: 1
Richmond 1
TSYS

The message flashes on the same line as the Richmond 1. Need help. Love the scanner, just need help.
Thanks!
SV

Sounds like you may not have selected the necessary sites to import when you imported the data. There are two separate things you can import, the talk groups and the sites.

Mike

mrova

Thanks...

for the reply. I think I realized I needed to put two different things in. After playing around with it a bit more, I still can't get the state police to work, but I somehow got local police to work.
When I download the frequencies in (talkgroups?), at what point do I load the talk system? Is that something that I get from RR and do I do that everytime I load a list?
Thanks again for the help...sooner or later I'll work my way through this.
SV

LEH

Premium Subscriber
No, the frequencies are the TSYS and STARS needs to be set up as a trunked system.

Check either this forum or the Virginia forum. I believe there is a file you can download that has the STARS system set up for the 500. Not sure which software it will work with though.

When you try to load the frequencies, the go under the TSYS option. You will need to go through any of the systems you have loaded (I'd not use scan list 1 all that often as this is the list the radio defaults to when you start to enter a new system. I had like four systems in scan list 1 until I figured out what I was doing wrong).

The top menu header should read 'trunked systems' not 'talkgroups'.

1. Select P25 Auto
2. Enter a Tag if you want (with software, enter a system name).
3. When you get to the 'frequencies' choice, press the 'sel' button and you'll have a list of channels you may enter frequencies in. Enter the control channels you want into individual channels.
4. Save your work.

Press manual, then scroll through to find the STARS system. Select it then press the 'TSYS' button and the and 'analyz'. Scroll through your frequencies until you find the control channel and see if it gives you any system information. If this is working, then you should be able to hear STARS if you have either entered talk groups or have wildcard for STARS turned on.

mrova

Thanks again,

Hopefully, over the next day or so I'll be able to spend a bit more time on this. It's making sense, what everyone is saying. It seems a lot like learning to operate that first computer, or first major software program. Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with another question or two.
SV

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi There,

The best investment you can make now is in one of the 3 programming packages for the PSR-500. My personal choice is Don Starr's WIN500 program.

You can download it at www.starrsoft.com and test drive it for 30 days.

I am attaching my Eastern Va. WIN500 file for you to use as a jumping off point. You could get 10 different files from 10 different people and they will probably be different because each person has their preferences of how to set their rig up. This is just my way of doing it.

You'll love the radio, I think they are the best scanners I have ever owned.

de
chris
kq4z

Attachments

• EastVA031708.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 76

mrova

using the win500 software...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help all of you have offered. I hope I can get acquainted with this unit so that I can help someone else. I'm using the win500 right now in the trial time, most likely will go ahead and buy it. I'll check out this zip file in the next day or so. I'll spend some time between now and the weekend working through the information provided here and report back. Ya'll have given me more than enough for right now!
Again, thanks!
SV

mrova

Success!

Hey all, I am somewhat successful! Couldn't figure out why the upload wasn't uploading. Finally had the scanner so that it was scanning all the scanlists and hit download FROM scanner, and was able to see everything that was already on the scanner (it came with a pre-programmed set of frequencies from all across VA.) Saved that...so that's cool.
Then, I had arranged what I'd downloaded from RR and have it arranged in some kind of fashion, probably will tweak it a bit. Hit the upload button and, dog, it all went right into the scanner and I'm sitting here listening to everything I'd put in. IS THAT COOL OR WHAT?
I don't think I have the state police (virginia) file right yet...I got the frequencies in and didn't get any weird "nothing enabled" messages like I'd had before...but, we'll keep playing here.
Thanks to mtindor, LEH, and kq4z for all the help and encouragement!

This thing is just way cool, but reminds me of learning my first computer and major software install. Just keep at it!
thanks again folks,
SV

Status
Not open for further replies.