• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
I got my own radio for work and some managers can hear me and some cant.at first I thought I was being ignored and I was getting frustrated. Then when a emergency came up I had to call managers tonight . one of the other managers said who are you even talking to to the other manager? they then said maintenance the other manager said I can not hear him. I know our security is on another private channel and I really don't care about the security. what I do care about is being able to communicate with all the managers. Both receiving and transmitting. its weird cause sometimes I can hear one manager talking to a manager but I can not hear the manager responding back. or they will call me and wont be able to tell if I am talking back. I have always thought that they were on different channel's but after tonight I am stumped on what is happening. I am pretty new to radio talk so... any explanation would be awesome. ps we have about 50 radios floating around my company. if that helps any

SCPD

QRT
You need the proper pl, or dpl, (ctcss) programmed in for tx and rx, the proper frequencies for input and output. I assume you work for wal mart? Using a baofeng?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The first step is to get the official list of all the frequencies used by your company, and what CTCSS/DCS tones are used on each frequency. Then you can program your radio to match. If you can't get the list, you probably are wasting your time.

bharvey2

It would be helpful to know more about the radios that everyone is using and how they are used. Are you all working in one building (and working simplex) or are you trying to communicate via a repeater? Also, as was mentioned before, you need a list of frequencies and PL tones. How did you get those?

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
You need the proper pl, or dpl, (ctcss) programmed in for tx and rx, the proper frequencies for input and output. I assume you work for wal mart? Using a baofeng?
yes and yes I think i know what you are probably gonna say next.

Last edited:

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
so wait a sec I have the radio set tdcs d131 I what else do I have to set I'm thinking I'm just a hair off of the frequency. cause some of the radios come in clear and other sound staticy and some you cant even hear them.

jim202

This is not a new question to this site. It has come up many times and usually follows the same statements and questions each time.

With that said, programming your own radio can or can not have the desired results. I your work thought it was important for you to have a radio, they would supply it.

With you supplying your own radio, you open yourself up to a number of issues. The first is using the radio, opens you up to the question of do you have written permission by the store manager to use your personal radio on their frequencies? The second question is did you have the radio tested for proper operation by a qualified radio technician on calibrated test equipment?

Not trying to be the bad guy here, but there are FCC rules that effect the operation of radios under these conditions your asking about that could open both you and your employer up to expensive FCC fines.

The best way to walk through all the loops is to listen to the different people here and take their advice. The most important is having written approval for your radio as the first step. With that should come with that is the frequency information. Maybe even told which radio shop to visit. Who pays for the radio shop visit is between you and your employer.

Let the group here know how you make out with this and what it took to resolve your frequency problems talking to the different radios.

bharvey2

Can anyone or everyone hear you? You can program a PL tone in both transmit and receive. If you have none on the receive side you should be able to hear everyone, including others not at your facility using the same frequency. If nobody can hear you then you likely have the wrong transmit PL tone. If some can hear you, perhaps you have the wrong PL tone but other radios have no receive PL tone programmed. (Being out of range not withstanding)

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
I talked with several store managers head store managers and they gave me props for getting my own radio. It is Walmart this certain store is not going to supply me with a radio. I don't understand why because I am head of keeping the store clean and our customers safe from slipping and hurting themselves on spills. every other Walmart I go into all the employees have their radio except my Walmart. I act very professional on the radio. I hear some ppl say some crazy stuff on Walmart's radio and always think to myself wow wouldn't the FCC have a field day with that comment or I know they really just didn't cuss over the radio did I just hear what I think I heard? I've heard managers say the f word on the radio. but me I'm always copy that or 10 4 I don't say much I might talk like 1 or 2 times a shift. the rest of the time I just listen. last night had a big time emergency and had to get a hold of a manager fast. I got my radio set so low it probably wouldn't even go out of the parking lot. anyway I will let groups know what steps I take to be able to hear all the radios. thanks everyone for your help!

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
Can anyone or everyone hear you? You can program a PL tone in both transmit and receive. If you have none on the receive side you should be able to hear everyone, including others not at your facility using the same frequency. If nobody can hear you then you likely have the wrong transmit PL tone. If some can hear you, perhaps you have the wrong PL tone but other radios have no receive PL tone programmed. (Being out of range not withstanding)
some can hear me others cant. I have had no complaints on the frequency from other stores around me saying stop talking on that frequency and I have not heard any other store talking

KD8DVR

Some employers are pretty lax in letting employees use personal stuff. A "yeah, sure" was my answer when I asked. Don't do it anymore, since they did an equipment change. Their itinerant license allows use of any of several freqs, and our sporadic use of radios makes it too much hassle to chase frequencies. I just grab a radio of the rack in the morning.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
o yeah they have radios on the rack but their all marked on what department is assigned to that radio and if we get caught with a radio that's not our department radio then we get in trouble. my department don't even have a radio. I have never been in trouble with Walmart never had a manager say you cant do this or you shouldn't have done that. I have never been pulled into the managers office for anything bad. I quit for a week and asked to go back. they called me with in the hour saying to come in the next day that I work and I am still on the schedule. all the managers like me.

bharvey2

I'm assuming that you do work for Walmart. Quite often the use the MURS frequencies. These are both wide and narrow band and listening with the the radio set to the incorrect bandwidth could result in audio issues. Also, if you are using MURS frequencies, other businesses or people in the area could be using those frequencies as well and could result in some interference if they are close enough. It could be that the store radios were not necessarily programmed to allow departments to communicate between each other or radios got mixed up and are used by the wrong personnel. Without a global view of what should be going on and how the radios are programmed, clearing things up could be an exercise in frustration. Is there anyone around that has access to the radio programming?

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
I'm assuming that you do work for Walmart. Quite often the use the MURS frequencies. These are both wide and narrow band and listening with the the radio set to the incorrect bandwidth could result in audio issues. Also, if you are using MURS frequencies, other businesses or people in the area could be using those frequencies as well and could result in some interference if they are close enough. It could be that the store radios were not necessarily programmed to allow departments to communicate between each other or radios got mixed up and are used by the wrong personnel. Without a global view of what should be going on and how the radios are programmed, clearing things up could be an exercise in frustration. Is there anyone around that has access to the radio programming?

yeah I'm sure but I wouldn't know who does the programing. yes it is frustrating. I thought some of them were ignoring me. but after last night I'm sure its a audio issue. after what jim said I'm scared to use the radio now.

wtp

it could be

that you get a pl from a radio that transmits it, but the managers don't have it programmed or even on.
you would have to check when the managers talk between themselves they might not care to hear "the little folks". kind of like channel 1 is for managers and has a pl tx and rx and channel 2 is to talk to everybody else and set to carrier squelch. . like was said, you need a map of everyone.
i have noticed in some stores different pl's and they still talk to each other so they are all carrier squelch.
also if the boss doesn't think you have a radio he might not recognize your voice.
after years of calling the operator to page for a spill, they might find it hard to change.

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
Can you post the frequencies you use?
154.600 but like I said I'm not going to talk on it any more. I don't want to get into any trouble if I can get a radio that wont get me into trouble I will talk any suggestions for what radio I can use that wont get me into trouble.ps I am working on getting my fcc license I'm having issues with the test cause of my learning disability

bharvey2

These are the MURS frequencies, cut and pasted right from the FCC.GOV website:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)

154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)

154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

Note that the first three are narrow band and the last two are wide band. They are a bit off from most LMR radios which are 12.5khz narrow band and 25khz wide band. There are other, narrower bands still that operate in digital modes. The Baofeng will likely have 12.5/25khz for narrow/wide.

As an experiment, program a radio channel for 154.600 wide band with no PL tone or carrier squelch (CSQ) in receive mode and listen for a few nights. If you can hear both sides of conversations then its pretty clear that the problem is one of proper PL tones.

You could also program in the same frequency on the transmit side with the proper PL tone. the extra 5khz of bandwidth shouldn't be too noticeable especially of you back off on the mic and don't talk too loud.

BTW: are you programming via keypad or are you using a cable and programming software?

azduststorm

KJ7QVY
These are the MURS frequencies, cut and pasted right from the FCC.GOV website:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)

151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)

154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)

154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

Note that the first three are narrow band and the last two are wide band. They are a bit off from most LMR radios which are 12.5khz narrow band and 25khz wide band. There are other, narrower bands still that operate in digital modes. The Baofeng will likely have 12.5/25khz for narrow/wide.

As an experiment, program a radio channel for 154.600 wide band with no PL tone or carrier squelch (CSQ) in receive mode and listen for a few nights. If you can hear both sides of conversations then its pretty clear that the problem is one of proper PL tones.

You could also program in the same frequency on the transmit side with the proper PL tone. the extra 5khz of bandwidth shouldn't be too noticeable especially of you back off on the mic and don't talk too loud.

BTW: are you programming via keypad or are you using a cable and programming software?
I use the programing software

Status
Not open for further replies.