• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Stun/Kill/Revive MDC, 5 Tone or DTMF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eportel6607

Hi guys,
Is there anyone that can confirm what models of analog UHF Motorola mobiles and portable have the Stun/Kill feature and is the Stun/Kill/Revive feature using MDC, DTMF or 5 Tone?
Thank you for any information on my question.

jruta

Pretty sure all the Jedi radios I used to own supported that feature. It was MDC1200, at least in the US.

eportel6607

Pretty sure all the Jedi radios I used to own supported that feature. It was MDC1200, at least in the US.
Thank you very much. I couldn't confirm if it was MDC or one of the analog formats. We are having some new radios manufactured for a new radio services and the manufacturer is asking "is the stun/kill/revive done with MDC, DTMF or 5 tone?" Although I've been using Moto gear for a long time we never had a need for it until now. Any idea if the CDM/PRO series mobiles and HT750, 1250 and 1550 portable have the Stun/Kill feature?

jruta

I believe that series also supports those (MDC 1200) features if I recall.

jruta

I did not know this, I thought that was only for Flashport radios such as MTS?

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I thought that was only for Flashport radios such as MTS?
It has nothing to do with Flashport, it's just the way some models were made. I used to have a CDM1550 that was a 5AN model which only allowed MDC on LTR channels. Some of the other models do allow MDC on regular channels so it depends. Motorola used to have a chart/list that had a break down of the CDM models and their corresponding features.
On second thought, maybe those ARE Flashport?
No Flashport on Pro series radios.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The signaling package was known as Stat-Alert. It was available on Motorola products going back to the analog Saber. Stat-Alert was indeed a Flashport option on the MTS2000. All MTS2000 radios could support basic conventional operation, but if you wanted MDC1200, you ordered the H35 option. In the analog Saber days, it was hardware (COPE/CORE) version dependent which meant you had to order the radio with the hardware and couldn't add it later (unless you replaced the controller board).

jruta

Stat-alert! I forgot what it was called, thanks MTS2000des.

Been a long while since I’ve played with those awesome radios. (Jedi & Saber)

I always thought it odd that MTS radios needed a flash for that, as “lesser” radios came with it “standard” even the HT/ MT2k had it without a Flash option as I recall. (I know- not Flashport radios)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The MTS2000 along with the Astro Saber were the first line of radios with upgradeable ROS via Flashport. Motorola knew this was the future and while it seems so mundane in 2020, in 1992 when Flashport was born, it was way ahead of it's time. I have a multipage brochure on Flashport where they compare it to upgrading software packages on a PC to add applications.

Consider too, that the closed architecture (as referenced in the Jedi Service manual "Theory of Operation") controllers of the "lesser" radios such as the MT2000 and HT1000/Visar were fixed ROM firmware that could never be upgraded. They were designed to be conventional only radios out the gate, so the ASFIC that does all the signaling was enabled in the firmware before it was burned into ROM. This also means the firmware you got it what you're stuck with. For example, early (pre DN) HT1000s can't do narrowband "splinter" channels, nor can early MT2000s. It's not an RF board limitation, as the synthesizer is perfectly capable of supporting it, as is the IF filtering (and these series could always do 12.5KHz IF since inception).

Ironically, if one tries to program and MT2000 built before 1997 with splinter channels on VHF say, (IIRC, the "magic" firmware is R2.09 or greater), they'll get an error message during codeplug write validation stating "upgrade radio firmware" to support splinter channels as if it's possible. Sure once could have ordered a new controller, but the cost would be excessive.

The Flashport platform was designed to sell high level features like trunking, more channel/zone capacity, and later on, encryption, enable hardware like Bluetooth, WiFi, LTE, or my favorite "future expansion bits". Not enough you bough an APX, you actually want to use it with your LEX-11? You have to buy the "collaboration package" per subscriber.

Status
Not open for further replies.