Stupidest 436hp Question ever ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
On every other scanner on the planet there is a "Scan" key. Hit the button, keep scanner ... what button does this on the 436hp? I have read the manual, searched the forums, I can't find the answer to this ridiculously simple question

I am staring at eight radios at me right now, seven of them Scan buttons ... one does not.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Stupidest 436hp Question ever

On every other scanner on the planet there is a "Scan" key. Hit the button, keep scanner ... what button does this on the 436hp? I have read the manual, searched the forums, I can't find the answer to this ridiculously simple question

I am staring at eight radios at me right now, seven of them Scan buttons ... one does not.

I'm sure you have heard, "no question is ever stupid, it's the ones that aren't ask that are stupid"

With the new Uniden scanners, they are set up much differently than our "traditional" scanners. Programming comes from a microSD card that is written to and loaded from.

So when we turn on the scanner, it loads from the microSD card and starts scanning automatically. We have three different options to 'hold' or 'stop'. We can 'hold' or 'stop' on a system, department, or channel by pressing the white buttons that correspond. When we want to start scanning again, we press the white button again.

Example: I want to hold on to my local fire department channel 158.925. While the scanner is scanning I will press the white channel button. Next, I will rotate the silver function knob on the 536HP, or the black selector located on the top of the 436HP and go to the channel I want. In order to resume scanning, all I have to do is press the white channel button again.

I hope that makes sense.

mrkelso

Not a stupid question at all. I know that Function and system will get you scanning from fire tone out standby if thats any help.

sefrischling

Thanks Doug

I've been watching your videos trying to figure this radio out. Its like learning how to ride a bike again, with the peddles in the wrong place. The shift to the 346/396 was a learning curve from what I was used to, now this scanner is a whole different ball game.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

Thanks Doug

I've been watching your videos trying to figure this radio out. Its like learning how to ride a bike again, with the peddles in the wrong place. The shift to the 346/396 was a learning curve from what I was used to, now this scanner is a whole different ball game.

I agree! It has been a frustrating road I have been down with these new scanners. I started making my videos to help not only other new owners, but for myself. I can't tell you how many times I have gone back and watched them again just to remember how to do something.

I'm still learning new things and cannot wait until the WiFi app and the analyze features are released.

Like anything else, it takes time to learn and understand. There has been many times where I had to just walk away, take a breather and come back to it later.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

I miss my Relm MS200 ... it was simple and made sense :0)

Radio systems have become more and more advanced. If we want to be able to listen to these systems, we need an advanced scanner. The days of one analog frequency per Police, Fire and EMS dispatch are getting much fewer as time goes on.

I have a Relm MS200 and still use it to monitor the VHF AM aircraft band. But when it was first released, it was fairly advanced for its time. Of course we weren't trying to monitor trunked systems way back then.

I would say future scanner hobbyists will only be able to hear aircraft, marine, ham, and some low power analog / digital comms. Public Safety will be 100% encrypted or unmonitorable.

sefrischling

Doug,

I actually monitor specific Federal Agencies for work. I listen to whatever is around at home, but for work, get off the plane, or at times the train, and need to start listening to things for work. I am surprised how many of these agencies are not encrypted. Many are now P25, but very much in the clear. There is a lot of trunking, but these agencies tend to stay off trunking because it would be too challenging for them.

As with most government logic, a number of things that shouldn't need to be encrypted are encrypted and those that probably should be are in the clear on P25.

The project for today I guess is figuring out the keypad and screen. I want it to work as closely to the 396/346 as I can with just turning systems on and off. I don't care what it is now called, in theory this should be a one key operation, press 1 one to turn 1 on/off, press 2 to turn 2 on/off. Hopefully I can figure this out and get the ball rolling. Luckily I still have the 346/396 which I can use in my sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.