Sub Base Groton, New London frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
What does the sub base use for comms? I see three possibilities; Still use the VHF frequencies, or DOD P25 Phase II trunked system, or possibly simulcast where both systems transmit the same feed?

ecps92

Been awhile since I sat down and watched some of the Sub traffic, but they were VHF for years , till the DoD P25 TRS was phased in.
during that time they used both networks, but as CG points out, rely on the UHF P25 TRS, not much of Phase 2 had been seen, but who knows now... things change
What does the sub base use for comms? I see three possibilities; Still use the VHF frequencies, or DOD P25 Phase II trunked system, or possibly simulcast where both systems transmit the same feed?

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I was told if you are in less then a half mile of the sub base you might hear them.
Having spent many days near New London over the past 6 months, I can attest that the 380 MHz P25 14C site there is active, it is in use for most of the base operations, and you do need to be close by to hear it.

It doesn't travel well in the contours of the Thames River area there so it was difficult to hear just a few miles north.

I did do some searching while parked near the base, and there might be some VHF frequencies still active, but they seem to be rarely used for anything.

- Chris

ecps92

At the end of "Scotch Cap Road" is a wonderful spot to sit and watch the base traffic
Having spent many days near New London over the past 6 months, I can attest that the 380 MHz P25 14C site there is active, it is in use for most of the base operations, and you do need to be close by to hear it.

It doesn't travel well in the contours of the Thames River area there so it was difficult to hear just a few miles north.

I did do some searching while parked near the base, and there might be some VHF frequencies still active, but they seem to be rarely used for anything.

- Chris

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I have monitored the SubBase for years.
You can clearly hear them within Groton on the P25 UHF system, but more of than not you'll hear them responding on GFA's VHF or on New London Fire's channel en route their calls.
The SubBase carries radios to communicate mutual aid and not be locked into their system.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
At the end of "Scotch Cap Road" is a wonderful spot to sit and watch the base traffic
Hello,

You may have been captured on the Google satellite photo as I see two cars sitting along the road parallel to the river.

I took a rail trip years ago that went through the base and monitored the train's progress on the trunked system. Ms Obama was on base to christen a sub that day as well.

73 Eric

ecps92

Nope, not me in the Red Vehicle, usually in the first lot down from the Condos, as it has more elevation to view the river traffic :)
Hello,

You may have been captured on the Google satellite photo as I see two cars sitting along the road parallel to the river.

I took a rail trip years ago that went through the base and monitored the train's progress on the trunked system. Ms Obama was on base to christen a sub that day as well.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.