• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Subaru Impreza Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropkick

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
61
Here is a picture during a test-fit while installing a BC-996T scanner in my WRX. Ignore the unfinished edges for now!

The brackets behind the panel are ISO sized, but the opening plate is not. Had to remove 5mm of materal from each side. I'll post more pics later. Will note how the Uniden actually bleeds over into the space for the unit below too. Fortunately the cd player has a small face and allowed the Uniden to hook over the front edge of it (the cd face comes off).

Electronics were super easy to hook up. Power. GPS. Splitter on AM/FM antenna. No problems. I was replacing a Uniden 780, so really the power connector just changed. I only pulled RX from the GPS bus in the car. There is a Kenwood D700 which has full access to it, tho I don't really use it.
 

Attachments

STiMULi

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,581
Location
Tucson, Arizona
Good looking install.

Did you use the sleeve? How do you have the Kenwood mounted?

Antennae please :)

(I have a 2005 STi with the same equipment but I moved my (AM/FM) radio to the stock dash pod location.)
 

BoxAlarm187

Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2003
Messages
1,502
Location
Old Dominion
That is a great looking, clean install. Very well done. I espcially like how the aftermarket AM/FM head unit compliments the dash and the 996T.
 

dropkick

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
61
The 996 is mounted in "ISO" configuration. You don't use the included sleeve, and you remove the outer chassis cover. Two screws (M4 size) on the sides. I did have to make some additional holes in the car mounting plates cause I didn't like the depth it was at and I had to put it slightly "out of spec" to get it to fit on top of the cd player. I used to have the subaru guage pack above the cd player (both standard ISO sized). Its now back up on top of the dash. That upper upper location had the BC 780 in it without any modications. Lots of room above the vents. That might be an alternate location for a 996 if u dont want to cut the audio trim piece, but I didn't try it.

Yeah, I use the AM/FM antenna for the scanner, thru a $20 spliiter from Grove, iirc. Works fine for what I listen too (almost all 800mhz from strong sources). The only other outside antenna is a valor glass mount 2m/440. Yes, glass mount, I know, but it works in my area just fine :)

The D700 is right in front of the cigarette lighter/ashtray, its base is mounted to that little pocket forward of the gear shift. It blocks the outlet, but added one under the seat if i need it.

This pic is what it used to look like.... Wow my car was clean 4 years ago!
 

Attachments

Last edited:

SCPD

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
65,126
Location
Virginia
Like the 780 install ... my personal preference is to have the radio up high like where the 780 was, just think it is better. Too bad it is difficult in some cars to do that .. mine included. Nice install of the new radio .. good job.
 

Jay911

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
9,152
Location
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Does your car have an outer AM/FM antenna? Mine is the mesh on the windscreen, behind the mirror, I think. I have an '06 and am thinking of an eventual setup like what you've done, once I save up some $ for a carputer and 996.

I have to figure out how to run an external antenna for my GPS, if not a magmount for the scanner as well (if I don't use your idea). The antenna I have only has a 6 foot cord and I am really loath to just slam it in the door jamb. I thought I was going to be really clever and put it on the trunklid, running the cable thru the pass-through, but as I say, the cable only reaches to the center armrest/console if done that way - and I want to mount it on the right side of the dash, by the climate controls.
 

STiMULi

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,581
Location
Tucson, Arizona
Jay said:
Does your car have an outer AM/FM antenna? Mine is the mesh on the windscreen, behind the mirror, I think.
It is in the rear glass above the defroster. You will see a T at the top.

(05 STi)
 

policeMonitor

Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
299
Location
Michigan
dropkick said:
The 996 is mounted in "ISO" configuration. You don't use the included sleeve, and you remove the outer chassis cover. Two screws (M4 size) on the sides. I did have to make some additional holes in the car mounting plates cause I didn't like the depth it was at and I had to put it slightly "out of spec" to get it to fit on top of the cd player. I used to have the subaru guage pack above the cd player (both standard ISO sized). Its now back up on top of the dash. That upper upper location had the BC 780 in it without any modications. Lots of room above the vents. That might be an alternate location for a 996 if u dont want to cut the audio trim piece, but I didn't try it.

Yeah, I use the AM/FM antenna for the scanner, thru a $20 spliiter from Grove, iirc. Works fine for what I listen too (almost all 800mhz from strong sources). The only other outside antenna is a valor glass mount 2m/440. Yes, glass mount, I know, but it works in my area just fine :)

The D700 is right in front of the cigarette lighter/ashtray, its base is mounted to that little pocket forward of the gear shift. It blocks the outlet, but added one under the seat if i need it.

This pic is what it used to look like.... Wow my car was clean 4 years ago!



that is a awsome set up!!!!
 

dropkick

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
61
Antenna: Mine's an '02, so it's got a real whip antenna above the driver's side A piller... Not sure what year they disappeared on. I also have the wagon, but it should be the same.

GPS: Garmin GPS-35 is on the rear hatch, on the inside, where the glass meets the body of the door. Wire runs next to the washer fluid/electric port by the hinges. Isn't outside and isn't exactly pointed straight up, but it works just fine. Like the other stuff, its also low-profile :>
 

deckgun

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
8
Location
NJ
that looks hot.... i have a wrx n i was lookin for a place to mount a scanner.... i have my icom 208H mounted by my driver side "A" post (remote mount).... and switches for lights where u have ur scanner.... might have to do a lil change.... where did u mount your speaker?
 

rhutch

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
568
Location
Ontario
Jay said:
Does your car have an outer AM/FM antenna? Mine is the mesh on the windscreen, behind the mirror, I think. I have an '06 and am thinking of an eventual setup like what you've done, once I save up some $ for a carputer and 996.

I have to figure out how to run an external antenna for my GPS, if not a magmount for the scanner as well (if I don't use your idea). The antenna I have only has a 6 foot cord and I am really loath to just slam it in the door jamb. I thought I was going to be really clever and put it on the trunklid, running the cable thru the pass-through, but as I say, the cable only reaches to the center armrest/console if done that way - and I want to mount it on the right side of the dash, by the climate controls.
If it's a Garmin get an extension for the cable, won't really notice any difference with the GPS. (don't know what's available for other makes)
 

Jay911

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2002
Messages
9,152
Location
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Thanks, didn't know if there was such an extension cable. I'll look it up on the website right now. (GPS is a 60CS, antenna is ... I forget the name, but it's the accompanying magmount aerodynamic (plastic, non-whip) type.
 

STiMULi

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,581
Location
Tucson, Arizona
dropkick said:
The 996 is mounted in "ISO" configuration.
Real good look!

Is there enough room for the DIN sleeve to go in (modified I am sure). I want to be able to pull out the radio on the fly.

Are the gauges up top now?

What is your username on NABISCO? (PM me if you want)
 

dropkick

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
61
STiMULi said:
Real good look!

Is there enough room for the DIN sleeve to go in (modified I am sure). I want to be able to pull out the radio on the fly.

Are the gauges up top now?
I think the DIN sleeve is too wide by about 5mm to fit inbetween the ISO backets. This is what I remember from the original cd player install. I remember not being able to use it. And holding the DIN sleeve up to the 780 here on the desk, it's about 5mm wider. The 780 fit between the upper pod brackets perfectly.

Yup, the guages are back up in their "factory" location :)

For OLD pics, see: http://www.krap-fm.com/wrx/radioinstall.html
The updates will go there, when I get a chance...

Here is the final result, minus the D700 which was absent that day... But you can see where it goes...
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top