Subdomains and redirects

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd like to make a request for consistent subdomain names and redirects. Here's what I'm talking about.

At the top of just about every RadioReference page is a main menu: Home, Live Audio, Forums, Database, Wiki, Classifieds, etc.

What I would like to see is for each of those main menu items, except maybe the last two, to have an associated subdomain and redirect.

For example, forums.radioreference.com is a valid subdomain name and it takes you directly to the forums. Likewise, radioreference.com/forums also takes you directly to the forums. But this pattern is not consistent for the other main menu options. The only other one I found that works is wiki.radioreference.com.

This is not a big deal, but I think it might help folks get to where they want to go.

AK9R

Super Moderator
wiki.radioreference.com works, but radioreference.com/wiki does not.

Neither database.radioreference.com nor radioreference.com/database work.

I'm asking that subdomains and redirects be added for the other main menu options. Not a big deal...just a request from a humble user.

SCPD

QRT

I'm asking that subdomains and redirects be added for the other main menu options. Not a big deal...just a request from a humble user.

I think it would be easier for you to bookmark each respective page, than it would be for RR admin to add each name to their DNS server and propogate world-wide.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

Here si the reason the forums are like that.

The forums USED to be located at radioreference.com/forums

They were recently moved to their own server, forums.radioreference.com

The old address is still around for the thousands of links around the internet that didnt get changed just because Lindsay moved the forums to a dedicated server.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback. On a smaller web sites, setting up subdomains and redirects is fairly easy to implement. That ease of implementation probably doesn't scale well to larger sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.