Submitting Bulk Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacherjoe

Is there a way to submit bulk frequencies via spreadsheet or something like that? I have most of the HAM frequencies for New Brunswick and Nova Scotia already and would like to fine tune and submit them all together.

If I had some sort of format to follow and someone to submit them to I would be happy to, and maybe move forward from there to other Provinces.

Joe

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There's no direct way to submit a spreadsheet, no. What I would do if I were you is contact one of the local admins for the provinces, and work directly with them. I've done it in the past both as a submitter and an admin, where I've either emailed an Excel file to an admin, or had one emailed to me so I could enter it. What I've had submitters do is email me the file, then make a submission along the lines of "Spreadsheet of ham frequencies emailed to Chauffeur6" so there's some record of it.

New Brunswick
JRichard
VE9MP

Nova Scotia
hfxChris
VE9MP

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you can, follow the Submission Guidelines exactly when you create your spreadsheet.

It will make it a lot easier to import the information in.

A lot of times people will add extra characters which have to be edited out before the data can be imported.

Thanks.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Actually, what I do is put together a spreadsheet with a header row describing what each column is, using the terminology in the actual database (Freq, Input, Tone, Alpha Tag, Description, Service Tag, etc), then populate the data below that as should be obvious. When you submit, you can copy a region of the spreadsheet into the text box that comes up when you go into the Submit function. When you paste into that text box, each column is separated by a tab, so the information is formatted correctly for submission.

When I was a DB admin, data could be separated by two (or more) spaces or by tabs, in order to input it into the DB. So if you copy/paste from Excel into that text box, you're essentially giving the admin data that's ready to import into the DB with no "massaging".

Give it a shot and see what it looks like.

cacherjoe

Thanks guys. If any of the Admins (Chris/Mike) have a spreadsheet I can follow that would be great. Not like it's a huge project, but if I'm going to populate something I would want it to be as easy as possible for you on your end. If you do, PM me and I'll reply with an email address. I'll get a start then send you what I have before I get too far into it and find out there's an issue.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Well I don't have any template, but for myself if you can be sure to include output and input frequencies (or just the offset is fine too), output and input tones if required, callsign, and also include the location of the repeater. For location I like to use the town it's located in, as well you can include any more specific information (like if the repeater is located on a certain building, well known hill, etc), and also please include the county that it's in. When I enter them in the DB, they're entered by county. If you have the information feel free to also include the club that owns the repeater.

cacherjoe

Actually, what I do is put together a spreadsheet with a header row describing what each column is, using the terminology in the actual database (Freq, Input, Tone, Alpha Tag, Description, Service Tag, etc), then populate the data below that as should be obvious. When you submit, you can copy a region of the spreadsheet into the text box that comes up when you go into the Submit function. When you paste into that text box, each column is separated by a tab, so the information is formatted correctly for submission.

When I was a DB admin, data could be separated by two (or more) spaces or by tabs, in order to input it into the DB. So if you copy/paste from Excel into that text box, you're essentially giving the admin data that's ready to import into the DB with no "massaging".

Give it a shot and see what it looks like.

Do you have a copy of the spreadsheet you mention? I don't really want to re-invent the wheel here.

Joe

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Do you have a copy of the spreadsheet you mention? I don't really want to re-invent the wheel here.

No, but it's easy enough for me to whip up a sample. It's attached here saved in Excel 97-2003 format with a couple of my local ham repeaters listed for examples/sample data.

It's zipped, of course, because the forum doesn't allow .xls extensions as attachments.

This includes all the fields that the admins put into the "grid" that we see for each frequency entry, as far as I can remember. It doesn't include anything for geographic locations or category splitting, i.e. this group for this town, 70cm vs 2m, etc. Just make separate sheets or sections of each sheet to separate stuff up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.