Successful BOA Stadium monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonus1331

I have been unable to successfully monitor the listed BOA Stadium TRS for over two years. Using the listed frequencies, two seem to be transmitting a Moto CC and I am able to get the SYSID; but a number of the other listed frequencies have a constant data signal being transmitted on them. I believe they are not a control channel because when I hang my 396 on them it pulls false TGID's and does not give me a SYSID.
At times, when monitoring I will get voice, but within the same transmission I will begin to get the data noise.
I have tried monitoring with all frequencies loaded as well as using the Control Channel Only method.
Thanks for the advice.

dtscho

Database Admin
While in Charlotte late last year, I monitored the Bank of America Stadium system from the Southpark Mall area. I was surprised I could even pick it up from there, but I could. I did notice significant interference on some of the channels--interference so bad it would block out whoever was talking on the frequency. I don't know what's causing it.

On a previous trip to Charlotte, I didn't have trouble monitoring the system, although on that trip I was downtown. So either the interference wasn't there then, or the signal strength overpowered the interference due to my better location.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I just thought I'd share my experience with monitoring the system.

Dave

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm confident the information in the database is correct.

My theory, and I really don't have anything to back this up, is that some of the frequencies they are using are not properly licensed. Other users have other systems using the same frequencies close by. At least one of the CC frequencies listed is also licensed to Duke Energy with a transmitter in Charlotte.

I suspect the data you're hearing is from other users such as Duke Energy.

This may be completely wrong, but I don't see any trunked licenses for this system at all. Maybe someone else can find some other licensing information that I'm not seeing.

Brian

bonus1331

The data may be right, but I don't know how anyone could communicate with each other under the conditions.

pboy

bonus1331 said:
I have tried monitoring with all frequencies loaded as well as using the Control Channel Only method.
Thanks for the advice.
David:

When you used the CC only mode, did you load all three CC freqs listed in the RRDB?

Using only a single frequency would prevent scanner from being confused.

Am trying to research whether Motorola TRS can be one channel only, similar to EDACS SCAT or LTR.

bonus1331

I did load all the listed CC frequencies for CC only.
I guess I'm looking to hear from someone here in CLT that has monitored this system clearly without the voice frequencies getting a ton of data interference.
FYI-the data noise that sounds somewhat like a Moto CC does not comeup with a SYSID when held on the channel with a 396.

pboy

Okay.

Sounded like maybe you couldn't lock to a CC.

Your trouble is interference on the voice channels that are tracking properly.

I just can't believe they would be using frequencies common to other local users.

I have certain 800 MHz frequencies that are "hash" all the time. I have yet
to identify the source(s).

bonus1331

This is what I'm hearing on 854.2125 and 853.1625, which are listed as two of the voice channels for the TRS.
What is it?

Attachments

• 16-BOA-Stadium_System-Frequency_853.1625MHz_-868.8375___5-47-54-PM_5-48-10-PM_08-19-2006.zip
    41.9 KB · Views: 76

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
To me, that sounds like what I know to be an MDT signal. Not sure the exact format, but it's what I hear on Duke Energy frequencies for their trunk mobile computers.

It's not a voice radio system/trunked system.

kg4pbd

I just heard loud and clear "radio check radio check" on tg 176. This was quickly followed by exactly what David has been describing. So the system sounds like it works, sort of......

I know I've monitored the BOA system in the past with no problem. Today was the first time I've tried it in probably close to a year.

I've attached a zip file with the audio files.

Attachments

• boa-stadium.zip
    31.7 KB · Views: 71

bonus1331

bonus1331 said:
This is what I'm hearing on 854.2125 and 853.1625, which are listed as two of the voice channels for the TRS.
What is it?

Alittle more information. I have never been able to monitor this TRS from my house in N. Union County, I always monitor when I bring the 396 to work at the airport.
However, I AM and was able to pick up and record the above mentioned data noise on the above frequencies.
This makes me believe that we have two separate radio systems using the frequencies listed in the RR database for the stadium.

kg4pbd

Well the system is busy tonight but the same issue with the buzzing is present.

The buzzing is on two frequencies in the system, 854.2125 and 853.1625.

The signal strength of the "buzzing"carrier is five bars here in Ballantyne while the actual system signal strength is generally 2 bars. So it sounds like it is something totally separate in location from the actual BOA TRS.

If I lockout those two frequencies AND turn off CC trunking I can actually track the system ok though I'm missing whatever tx's occur on those two frequencies.

bonus1331

Anything listed for those frequencies with the PL's you list?
The issue is definitely some other system overiding the BOA. I have the same issue with the buzzing freq's coming in at full-strength; while the BOA CC is unmonitorable from my house.

bonus1331

Wngu623

Both the offending frequencies are licensed to Mecklenburg County with the above call sign.
The are licensed as "YP".
Can't remember what that stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.