Successful monitoring of Chester County PA. on Uniden BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
Nope, should be good. (y)

Only other thing I can think of is antenna placement?

If you manually tune to any of those frequencies listed do you hear the analog P25 signals, that would be my suggestion on how to test if your getting reception to your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the Toughkennamon tower is closest to my location in Pike Creek DE., New Castle County has a tower on rt. 41 just north of Hockessin, almost in line from my location with the tower in Tough.

There is also a cell tower not far from my location just to the west of me, probably within 3/4 mile.

Currently I am using a mobile antenna, indoors, magnetic mount on a heating duct in my basement. I can clearly pickup New Castle County and 3 weather broadcasts as well as Salem county NJ fire, Cecil County fire & Delaware railroad, Chester County fire dispatch on 160.1850 as well as aviation traffic.

I do expect to run an antenna lead to my garage to get an antenna above ground and hope to get a little more.

Thanks.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Toughkennamon tower is closest to my location in Pike Creek DE., New Castle County has a tower on rt. 41 just north of Hockessin, almost in line from my location with the tower in Tough.

There is also a cell tower not far from my location just to the west of me, probably within 3/4 mile.

Currently I am using a mobile antenna, indoors, magnetic mount on a heating duct in my basement. I can clearly pickup New Castle County and 3 weather broadcasts as well as Salem county NJ fire, Cecil County fire & Delaware railroad, Chester County fire dispatch on 160.1850 as well as aviation traffic.

I do expect to run an antenna lead to my garage to get an antenna above ground and hope to get a little more.

Thanks.

I would assume that your issue is antenna placement then. When i take my radio from the firehouse to my parents house in Concordville PA it always drops signal when im in the basement, even with the WCB cell so close. Maybe take the included antenna and the unit closer to a window and see what you can get?

I would assume that your issue is antenna placement then. When i take my radio from the firehouse to my parents house in Concordville PA it always drops signal when im in the basement, even with the WCB cell so close. Maybe take the included antenna and the unit closer to a window and see what you can get?

I have tried that using the provided antenna, but did not get anything. I plan on going mobile with the scanner and taking a ride up to Toughkennamon/Avondale to get closer to the tower there and see what happens.

I would think any antenna above ground has to get better reception.

Thanks.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
I have tried that using the provided antenna, but did not get anything. I plan on going mobile with the scanner and taking a ride up to Toughkennamon/Avondale to get closer to the tower there and see what happens.

I would think any antenna above ground has to get better reception.

Thanks.

Keep us posted on your results!

imstillwil

Wondering if an attempt is even worthwhile on the northwestern edge of Lancaster County.
Coincidentally I pull in the conventional channels like gangbusters.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if an attempt is even worthwhile on the northwestern edge of Lancaster County.
Coincidentally I pull in the conventional channels like gangbusters.

Might be worth a try. I know i cant get anything lancaster county from southeast chester. What convec are you able to get? If you can get FD-1, i would say your set. Most if not all tac for large incidents occur on that. The trs is mostly used for communications with the county and fire police.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Harris systems can use any system freq as a control channel, and often roll for a variety of reasons. Keep them all in the radio. Harris systems are notoriously flakey, big M's P25 Phase 2 systems tend to be more stable. St Mary's County in Southern MD has had a very difficult time with their Harris P25 system, which they just recently described as "adequate."

Status
Not open for further replies.