suction cup antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt613

anybody have anything good and/or bad to say about suction cup mount antennas? Im communting in a car that is hard to mount anything onto, so one of these are pretty much my only option.

this is what im looking at...

In-Car Mobile Antenna with BNC

looking forward to any and all input before I make a final decision.

Thanks!

ecps92

That is one option, I've used it, but only for Hotel/Travel

My best two mobile options were the over-the-window lip with BNC's, as I could change the antenna to what my monitoring interests were.

there is/was also a suction cup version where you could use your own antennas

anybody have anything good and/or bad to say about suction cup mount antennas? Im communting in a car that is hard to mount anything onto, so one of these are pretty much my only option.

this is what im looking at...

In-Car Mobile Antenna with BNC

looking forward to any and all input before I make a final decision.

Thanks!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Any of interior antenna is a last resort type of thing. They work, but not well, in my limited experience.

Sent via Tapatalk

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I've found that the best mobile antenna inside a car is never as good as the worst mobile antenna outside a car.

Would you consider a mag-mount on your roof? It's not actually being "mounted" per se.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
I used one of those at my last apartment and it was an improvement over the rubber ducky on my Pro-106. I at some point plan on getting a BCD396XT and a Uniden remote head for my car and plan on using it for that as I will absolutely not install an external antenna on my car.

MacDon

Premium Subscriber
Same boat

Im working on the exact same problem. I figured a broadband through-glass would work but i don't know how well they work. I even tried patching the scanner into the fm antenna but caused too much attenuation and lost all AM and half FM stations. Im about ready to do a mag mount myself. Any suggestions on a concealed or disguised antenna?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Im working on the exact same problem. I figured a broadband through-glass would work but i don't know how well they work. I even tried patching the scanner into the fm antenna but caused too much attenuation and lost all AM and half FM stations. Im about ready to do a mag mount myself. Any suggestions on a concealed or disguised antenna?

My on glass antenna worked fairly well. It was a bit short, but VHF still came in well.

Not wanting to hijack, but how did you patch in to the car's antenna?

Sent via Tapatalk

mark40

Premium Subscriber
I've tried 1) the in-car mobile, 2) scanner coupler, and 3) duckie suction cup mount where you couple on your own antenna. Best results were with #3 coupled to a Diamond RH77CA.

MacDon

Premium Subscriber
Concealed / Disguised Antenna

My on glass antenna worked fairly well. It was a bit short, but VHF still came in well.

Not wanting to hijack, but how did you patch in to the car's antenna?

Sent via Tapatalk

I went through Amazon and found Ford to Motorola connectors, antenna splitter (motorola style) and then back to Ford from Motorola. My other option was to cut away the sheath and solder the leads in the antenna cable but then i was afraid of more signal loss. I tried using the sirus XM antenna (SMB to BNC) but had the same problems. Im thinking about running a thin coax in the front windsheild and back glass as a temporary fix until i figure out an antenna idea. Much like the suction cups but with double the exposure.

Im covering 27 MHz to 956 MHz...do you think the through glass antenna work? Height is not a problem, I have a 5' firestik antenna mounted on the bed

Soundman

A

I am using the suction cup antennas right now on two of my bases scanners thy work good. But for a car you should use a magnet antenna .You will get the best reception . Or the car radio kit .That will gave you good reception to .

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I use a R/S 20-032 mag mount antenna and you can't beat it. It is app.$39.00. I have three and the last one I bought on ebay with a port cb radio for $11.00

ecps92

I've found carrying a variety of Antenna's also helps with those type of antennas.
800, 900, UHF, VHF, telescoping, dual-band, changing them out helps also when traveling and you get stuck in RF Hell.

I am using the suction cup antennas right now on two of my bases scanners thy work good. But for a car you should use a magnet antenna .You will get the best reception . Or the car radio kit .That will gave you good reception to .

MacDon

Premium Subscriber
Help

Thanks guys for all the input. I think im going to get a short magnet on the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.