• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Suction Cup Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

police340

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are suction cup mount where I could ount the BCD996T to a windshield? I'm trying to find a good place to install it on an 08 4Runner.

Thanks,
Bill

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A 996 is not light weight or cheap, I would think twice about using suction cups to mount that.

af5rn

Wow, that's a pretty tall order. Let me make sure I understand what you are asking. You want to hang a $500 dollar, 3.5 pound radio from a couple of suctions cups, like a $100 dollar, 8 ounce radar detector? You can experiment with some things, but I'm not sure I'd take that chance, lol.

That double-sided 3M pressure adhesive tape might work in place of suction cups. It's surprisingly secure stuff, for sure. I'd still be very wary though. Best case failure is a broken radio. Worst case failure is a broken face.

Although pricey, the BC-RH96 remote control head would be a viable option. I'm not sure what it weighs, but it would be secure enough with suction cups or heavy duty velcro.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I love ram mounts better than I love a tall woman in a short dress, but I will never trust a suction cup for more than a few OZ, in fact, I'd not really trust it for that either. I'd want something bolted or screwed into something sturdy, depending on where it is and how heavy it is.

hoser147

As some thing where the dash is the main support it would be alright, you could always get some industrial velcro at Joanne fabrics and put it on the bottom. I sure wouldnt leave it there in a parking lot. Hoser

firetaz834

Here is a suggestion:

I saw this for a mount that another user posted pictures of. Why not get a suction mount antenna instead. Then you can have your scanner laying in a much more secure position and just have the antenna mounted to the window via suction cups.

CLTX11

There are suction cup mounts out there that will easily hold that on there. Would I recommend it? I personally would not do it.

af5rn

CLTX11 has a point. For some reason I was drawing a blank, and picturing standard suction cups, like for radar detectors. But there are those hardcore, industrial strength suction cup mounts that utilise a lever and hold dash cams, etc...

Here is the first one that came up on Google ---> http://www.gbxdirect.com/store/suction_pedestal.php

Here's more ---> http://www.custommounts.com/RAM_Suction_Cup_Mount_Twist_Lock_Suction_Cup_s/23.htm

Lots of similar designs out there that may be better or more suitable to your needs. But yeah, they will hold pretty well. If you're a cop, you already know this, but if not, be aware that sticking stuff in your windshield field of view is illegal in some states. Get a cop who doesn't like scanners to begin with, and you're asking for trouble.

Good luck!

CLTX11

Yup years ago at work we had a suction cup to hold a sign up in the window. It was only about 3 inches in diameter and I could hang from it, I was about 155 Lbs then.

af5rn said:
CLTX11 has a point. For some reason I was drawing a blank, and picturing standard suction cups, like for radar detectors. But there are those hardcore, industrial strength suction cup mounts that utilise a lever and hold dash cams, etc...

Here is the first one that came up on Google ---> http://www.gbxdirect.com/store/suction_pedestal.php

Here's more ---> http://www.custommounts.com/RAM_Suction_Cup_Mount_Twist_Lock_Suction_Cup_s/23.htm

Lots of similar designs out there that may be better or more suitable to your needs. But yeah, they will hold pretty well. If you're a cop, you already know this, but if not, be aware that sticking stuff in your windshield field of view is illegal in some states. Get a cop who doesn't like scanners to begin with, and you're asking for trouble.

Good luck!

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
CLTX11 said:
Yup years ago at work we had a suction cup to hold a sign up in the window. It was only about 3 inches in diameter and I could hang from it, I was about 155 Lbs then.

I agree, some suction cups can do the job very well... I would look around, and if you must use suction, get one that WILL do the job, or mount it where it won't break the radio if a fall happens.

SCPD

QRT
There is such an animal as a Glass Suction mount or "Glass Magnet" however they are pricey and require close attention as they will loose their grip over time. These are not the same as the suction cup mounts used for GPS or Clip boards, these are specifically designed for Glass and larger versions are used for scalling comercial structures by window cleaners and climbers. However, a 500 dollar scanner would be better placed on a more secure platform as you have heard already from these gentlemen. The link for Mountguys is a good site, the universal radio mount will handle a 996 with no problems.

AlSal28

Why don't you try using velcro and mount it on you dash. That stuff holds pretty good.

N1BHH

Using velcro is a dead giveaway to a thief, same with the suction cup ring left over. There are mounts I saw online that would fit over the lip at the bottom of your window, trying to look it up. Here is one for Motorola radios: http://www.blinkwave.com/batteries_learnmore_TDN9327.htm
And this one: http://www.rimindustries.com/product-p/tdn9373a.htm
With some Google searching for "radio hanger" and similar you should find something out there. If you find a hook on cup holder, try fashioning that into what you want.

police340

Thanks guys. The velcro idea crossed my mind already. I have the suction cup mount for my gps and have heard about the giveaway idea to thieves. Not sure what I want to do. Thinking now about mounting scanner in place of radio in toyota 08 4runner and trying to get a remote operated radio/cd player for the back. What do you all think? Thanks Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.