Sudbury, MA P.D.: Always Encrypted Now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Live in Sudbury, Mass. (Middlesex).

Our local P.D. is listed as P25e.

I always thought that the small "e" means "sometimes" encrypted.
Is this true ?

I haven't been able to pick anything up from them.
Has anyone been able to hear the Sudbury P.D. recently ?

Or, are they now always encrypted, and the small e should likely be a large E in the RR database ?

What about the F.D. ?

Thanks,
B.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Remember that information is submitted by users. Usually partial encryption is one side is encrypted while other is clear. Or users have capability to turn on and off. Might be they have went full time encrypted.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Remember that information is submitted by users. Usually partial encryption is one side is encrypted while other is clear.
Except in this case, it was updated by the admin (me). It's not one sided encryption. Sometimes you hear back and fourth encrypted, and then later on you'll hear both clear. The signal is moderate where I work, so I reject any encryption that I suspected as being broken decode. I am able to tell the difference. I'll listen again. On my site, where we confirm the dates of reception, I tend to listen to reconfirm then lock them out.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Police and Fire Scanner - The Sudbury Town Crier - the live scanner audio feed from the 'local' newspaper has Sudbury Fire but not Sudbury Police. Sudbury Fire was audible but broken via the feed 10 minutes ago.

"partial encryption" has 6 meanings. Meaning 1 is "sometimes encryption sometimes not". Meaning 2 is "base encrypted but mobile not". Meaning 3 is 'mobile encrypted base not". Meaning 4 is Meaning 2 + 'sometimes'. Meaning 5 is "base encrypted always + mobiles encrypted sometimes". Meaning 6 is .... oh gawd this is boring for so early in the morning.

BOBRR

Hi,

How frequently do you hear "any" PD conversations ?

Most in the clear ?

Regards,
Bob

mrsvensven

I was in town the other day and listened for about 15 minutes. There was only one call during that short period. Dispatch was encrypted but the unit in the field was clear.

BOBRR

Hi,

Thanks for thinking of me.

Never would have thought that one side of conversation would
be encryp., and the other way normal.

Guess I understand now why I wasn't ever hearing "much".

Thanks again for info.

Best regards, stay well,
Bob

BOBRR

Hi,
Thanks for remembering me.

Will try again. Interesting that they switch around, apparently a lot.

Best regards, stay well,
Bob

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Some of these towns going full E crack me up. Sudbury is a real hotbed of violent crime, risky stakeouts and communal unrest. Must be those high poverty rates 😂 but I suppose if a "controversial" police incident takes place it protects them in that no one can hear past transmissions easily

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Some of these towns going full E crack me up. Sudbury is a real hotbed of violent crime, risky stakeouts and communal unrest. Must be those high poverty rates 😂 but I suppose if a "controversial" police incident takes place it protects them in that no one can hear past transmissions easily
The richer a town is, the more likely you'll see it. At least here in Massachusetts. More prominent/affluent residents unrealistically expect that their business is more confidential and that they are the police department's absolute priority if they have to call them. This leads to things like funding for encryption to easily pass at Town Meeting so that "the media can't listen in and hear their address/dirty laundry."

I worked for a very rich town as a dispatcher when I was 19-22 and one call that sticks with me is a resident calling and insisting that we send a car to a house that had a generator running during a power outage and demand that they shut it off. Not because of a noise issue, the complaintant (head of a large Boston bank) just felt that if he didn't have lights, neither should his neighbor.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
The richer a town is, the more likely you'll see it. At least here in Massachusetts. More prominent/affluent residents unrealistically expect that their business is more confidential and that they are the police department's absolute priority if they have to call them. This leads to things like funding for encryption to easily pass at Town Meeting so that "the media can't listen in and hear their address/dirty laundry."

I worked for a very rich town as a dispatcher when I was 19-22 and one call that sticks with me is a resident calling and insisting that we send a car to a house that had a generator running during a power outage and demand that they shut it off. Not because of a noise issue, the complaintant (head of a large Boston bank) just felt that if he didn't have lights, neither should his neighbor.
Down my way, Mansfield went encrypted when they first switched to P25, then aftera year or so decided to go fulltime in the open. Sometimes interop issues force them to change. All that Great Woods $$$ probably made them do it

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think of Nantucket as a prime example of what you are talking about Ed. As to Sudbury, they have the capability but they rarely use it. Also, right now it's fairly quiet because a lot of the residents go elsewhere for part or all of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.