Sudbury P25 testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc1990

Good day all,

Things are moving along for the Greater Sudbury Public Safety P25 system. As of yesterday, the two Greater Sudbury Police Service dispatch TGs from the EDACS system have moved to two radio tech TGs and are in the clear on the EDACS. They are being simulcast on the P25 system as well but are encrypted.

- TG 02-123 (Radio Tech on EDACS) is being simulcast on TG 216 (P25 ENC) and it is the City Dispatch
- TG 03-022 (Radio Tech on EDACS) being simulcast on TG 224 (P25 ENC) and it is the Regional (Rural) Dispatch.

It appears that Transit dispatch already switch over to P25 TG 503. P25 TG 506 might be the HandiTrans channel. Not sure.

Listen while you can!

Cheers

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That's pretty much how London transitioned as well. London Police moved to a handful of analog talkgroups which were patched to the new P25 system. Then over the course of about 2 days the EDACS sites were shut down, the frequencies added to the P25 sites and that was all she wrote...

rc1990

PCom radio tests were done around lunchtime. PCom and TG 03-021 (EDACS) were simulcast. However, nothing on the P25 system. They had to stop the testing because North Bay dispatch was unable to hear GSPS dispatch.

dutch4591

Premium Subscriber
rc1990..
My son has a BCD396Xt scanner which he would like to use follow the Sudbury District P25 changeovers and get as many of the digitally converted signals eventually as possible.
Problem is - we don't have any handle on how to program his scanner to accept the p25 format..
We are interested in Sudbury District Transit, Vale, any GSPS digital channels, Fire, Municipal, Roads Maintenance, Ambulance Services etc. that presently are (some) currently analog but are almost weekly now being converted to the P25 convention..
Can you help us out with this?
Any and all suggestions and advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks - Randy and Ryan in Sudbury.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Your best bet (assuming you have a programming cable) is to get Freescan and go that route. If you have a membership here you will be able to download the systems directly to the scanner.

dutch4591

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Forts for your interest here..
As I mentioned previously, I have no experience or knowledge with electronics stuff at all, and excuse me for asking 'if we have a subscription here to RR how do we proceed in getting the programming data into the scanner from the site'.
I had heard you had to run or use BuTel as a program along with the cable that we have, to facilitate the file(s) transfer but exactly how does that work and / or does this site once accessed and up on screen open automatically and sense that a scanner is hooked up and waiting for a file transfer - and just what is it that we are transferring, is it a set file (by name) or ?
I did mention that I know nothing about these scanners nor electronics in general didn't I - ha?
Once we get subscribed and access the P25 file area how do the files present themselves so we know what needs to be transferred, I guess is what I'm asking?
Thanks - Randy & Ryan in Sudbury ON..

Tdnapa

So how can I pick up the police and fire with a p25 scanner ?? So they are not encrypted anymore ??

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You will never be able to listen to the police. They're using aes-256 encryption which is for all purposes, unbreakable.

As of yesterday, fire was still on the old system. When they do move, any scanner capable of monitoring a P25 trunking system will work. Of course, if they decide to encrypt, all you'll be listening to is transit.

rc1990

Looks like fire switched to P25. I heard TG 303, 304 and 314 active. TG 303 seems to be dispatch/paging, TG 314 was the working TG for a house fire (heard it being referred as TAC 2). Will keep my ears open for more fire TGs.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
What kind of scanner would pick up fire ?? And how would I program it

Do yourself a favour. Check out this website. I has a database. It has various articles in wiki format, there are lists of scanners and what each can do and can't do.

You will need to get one of the newer scanners. Take a look at the various Scanner threads on this site. Make a note of the names of scanners that you see, and either Google or jump right to the wiki to see what the scanner can and cannot do.

And a TG is Talkgroup.

rc1990

rc1990..
My son has a BCD396Xt scanner which he would like to use follow the Sudbury District P25 changeovers and get as many of the digitally converted signals eventually as possible.
Problem is - we don't have any handle on how to program his scanner to accept the p25 format..
We are interested in Sudbury District Transit, Vale, any GSPS digital channels, Fire, Municipal, Roads Maintenance, Ambulance Services etc. that presently are (some) currently analog but are almost weekly now being converted to the P25 convention..
Can you help us out with this?
Any and all suggestions and advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks - Randy and Ryan in Sudbury.

Sorry for the delay in answering you. I was super busy the last months. I program my scanner with the software ARC396 for my Uniden 396T which is a programming software for that specific scanner. When you become a member, you do not get a programming cable. You need to purchase that yourself. It is WAY EASIER to program with a software then by hand. Once you are a member, you can download all the frequencies into the radio with a few clicks of the mouse, a feature both supported with ARC and BcTool (which is free) software. I will be out of town from Dec 13 to Jan 4. I sent you a PM with my cell number.

jakevtx

this message is for Ralph rc1990, if you could give me your cell # Ralph , I might be able to answer some of your question on Sudbury P25.
I'm also a scanner and Ham operator, so please give your cell or email.

Jacques

Status
Not open for further replies.