Suddenly deaf after a corrupted SD Card

N9JIG

Sheriff
One of my 536's (I have 6...) suddenly came up with an SD Card error. I was snot really surprised as I usually kill the power instead of turning off the power switch. Although I have recording disabled I figured it was a matter of time before one of these cards got corrupted. No big deal, I just popped in a spare card and all was well with the world again, or so I thought.

I noticed I was getting less hits that I had expected so popped in a local Weather channel to check it out and it was not hearing it. All 7 of the other radios connected to the same multicoupler were working fine. I swapped the antenna cable with its neighboring 536 and the first radios still did not receive the WX station but the second did, so nothing wrong with the antenna system.

I listed to it for a while and it seemed to hear some very local traffic but at a much lower indicated signal strength than other radios, it was going deaf.

It is one of my oldest 536's, from 2014, but it is still worth sending it in, so it will be going to Uniden soon for service.

Has anyone else had a 536 go deaf around the same time as a corrupted SD Card? I wonder if it took some sort of static hit or something.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A static electricity pop is what comes to mind. In the process of swapping cards a little spark may have happened.

While it seems unlikely, with our fire service history, we know weird stuff happens from time to time, the kind you would think would never happen. Your radios are probably well grounded and your body could have had a different potential/charge.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I sent my 536 back about 8 mo. ago. It was an early model. Went completely deaf, but the card was fine. They changed S701 flexstrip