BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Suddenly seeing Priority Scan No Channels message... not sure why?

elisherer

I have been using my BCD436HP for a number of years, it normally sits on my desk and very rarely do I add any local channels. While I mostly use Sentinel software to check for frequency updates, I also use ARC536 to view my channels (and use the computer view of scanning progress).

I have, since the beginning, had a number of non-trunked channels set for Priority Scan. Until recently, this was fine... but a few weeks ago, I noticed that my old BC796D was locking on to my local PD channel when calls came in, while the 436 didn't find anything. I checked and noticed that the Priority Scan on the 436 was off, but when I try to turn it on again, I see the "Priority Scan No Channels" message! I haven't added any channels or changed anything (except for an Avoid or two from random in the neighborhood using FRS radios).

Does anyone have ANY idea what might have happened? Or more importantly, how I can get the ~10 Priority Channels that have always been assigned Priority Scan to work again? (I am sure I am scanning the right favorites lists, and I ONLY have Priority Scan set for certain channels in only one Favorite lists!

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Check your favorites list again. You either have the list (or system or department) set off (quick key off, or monitor off) that contain the priority channels, or you have avoided the channels with priority set on, or priority is not set on the channels any longer as you believe it is.

elisherer

Nope and Nope... I've been doing this a while, and I DO understand togging Priority modes. I also checked and rechecked everything and the Systems are ON and Favorites are ON for all. The only thing I found now, which is strange, is if I ONLY monitor the Favorites list that has the Priority channels, when I restart, the scannner says there are NO channels in that favorite list! (It's QK0, first one there). But when I open to edit, I can see all the systems and channels fine!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have ANY idea what might have happened? Or more importantly, how I can get the ~10 Priority Channels that have always been assigned Priority Scan to work again?
If you used Sentinel to program initially & still have the known working profile with your priorities set, try writing it back to the scanner?

elisherer

If you used Sentinel to program initially & still have the known working profile with your priorities set, try writing it back to the scanner?
I do have the old profiles (from July) and have tried this. Unfortunately, some frequencies or assignments have changed (even in my small town), so I have to update them anyway.

NOTE: I have checked, rechecked, and updated the scanner again. The only thing I know for sure right now is that all my Priority Channels are in the 1st Favorite list, which is position "0", and when I disable all the other lists, that list does NOT play!

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Which is of course one of the things I told you to check, but you responded "nope and nope, ...".

Check your favorites list again. You either have the list (or system or department) set off (quick key off, or monitor off) that contain the priority channels, or you have avoided the channels with priority set on, or priority is not set on the channels any longer as you believe it is.

elisherer

Which is of course one of the things I told you to check, but you responded "nope and nope, ...".
Yeah, Sorry... I did check it on the scanner, but the screen has become so dim over time I missed it. Found it on double-check in Sentinel. But again, I have NO idea how that changed since I rarely of ever use the QuickKeys anyway. The scanner just sits there... Ah well. Thanks for the help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
I did check it on the scanner, but the screen has become so dim over time I missed it.
The dim screen is caused by bad backlight LED's. That was a common problem that was addressed in a free repair campaign for several years. Unfortunately, that is no longer available, but the scanner can be sent to Uniden to be repaired at the standard rate. If you have problems with the clock failing, that can be fixed at the same time.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Not for nothing since you fixed the issue, but for anyone else experiencing the problem and searching for an answer:

This message happens when the scanner is told to do a Priority Scan (for conventional channels), but cannot find any channels marked as priority channels. It could be due to an Avoid condition, Quick Key Off, Location out of range, etc. The "Nothing to Scan" checklist is a place to look as it may give ideas on what might be wrong.