Suffolk and Nassau Counties - NON Trunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_G

Is there much to listen to in Suffolk and Nassau counties on Long Island that is NOT on the trunking systems?

Thanks,

bkantor

There is still enough to listen to that is non-trunked - Most fire departments, ambulances, Long Island Railroad, some police (not much anymore), aircraft (LGA, JFK, Republic, McArthur).

Tom_G

Thanks for the reply bkantor,
My PRO-97 won't do any of the rebanded 800 systems so I'm out of luck at this point.
I still see many of the municipalites listing PD frequencies but I wasn't sure what was still in use.
I'll make sure to double check my Rail and Air frequencies.

Thanks,

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
There is plenty to listen to in Nassau and Suffolk Counties without a trunk scanner. Your first stop should be the Radio Reference Database.

All Fire Department activities with the exception of Fire Marshal and HazMat dispatches for both counties are conventional.

Nassau County PD is on their P25 system, but the simulcast is still active for the UHF frequencies.

There is still plenty of activity on MTA Police, and LIRR Frequencies for you to hear.

NYS Police are conventional, and operate on a duplex system (1 frequency is for Base to Mobile, and another is Mobile back to Base)

The US Coast Guard is busy this time of year. Make sure you listen to them. While you are at it, put in the Coast Guard Aux.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to hear FDNY and NYPD. Maybe you can also pickup Westchester and some of CT.

While most of my scanners are trunk scanners, I still have my fair share of "Conventional Only" radios that I use daily. There is plenty to hear.

And even though your PRO-97 won't do the Rebanded Motorola, it will still do rebanded EDACS.

Tom_G

w2lie,
Thanks for the tips. I'll actually be on the CT Shoreline in Westbrook.
I did load the municipality conventional frequencies from the RR database and also some stuff from your site.
I assume East Hampton has already rebanded. I know Suffolk did.
I had forgotten about the Nassau EDACS system. I will load that tonight as well as the Troop L conventional stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.