Suffolk County in Cape May

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

I'm getting medical dispatches on 155.2800 with a PL of 156.7. I did some digging and the best thing I could get is Suffolk County!!! Talk about ducting!!~

Darkstar350

yes 155.280 PL 156.7 is the Suffolk county wide EMS dispatch freq
The first page goes out on there then the companies switch to their own freqs for the actual operations
Its also a state - wide channel known as "NY MED"
Also im just a bit west of Suffolk and i can pick up stuff from jersey most of the time but yes conditions have been decent the past few days :D

jaymatt1978

I wouldn't have posted it because I know 155.2800 can be used as a "tac channel" for any ambulance . I posted because I am getting the actual pager tones, weird in itself because I have yet to find an ambulance in NJ,DE, MD or even VA that tones out on that freq. Literally ONLY ducting I get down here. For chuckles I plugged in a few other channels see what happens

Darkstar350

I wouldn't have posted it because I know 155.2800 can be used as a "tac channel" for any ambulance . I posted because I am getting the actual pager tones, weird in itself because I have yet to find an ambulance in NJ,DE, MD or even VA that tones out on that freq. Literally ONLY ducting I get down here. For chuckles I plugged in a few other channels see what happens

A tac/interop channel for any ambulance only in New York hence "NY MED"(as far as i know - i dont think its a nationwide freq...)
However - 156.7 PL happens to be the tone used for many of the nationwide as well as NY statewide interop channels thats why its something how Suffolk uses that exact frequency and tone for their dispatching
Theres many cases where agencies will happen to use a state or nationwide frequency specific to their operations but will usually have some other tone
That aside many of these frequencies that we now know as "interop or mutual aid" channels were not always such - individual agencies that happen to operate on such frequencies most likely have been using those frequencies for years before these interop guides and whatnot were established and such agencies were then "grandfathered in" - which is probobly true for the Suffolk EMS as well..

SMFD34

I know 155.280 was used in Madison County for primary EMS dispatch prior to the switch to the TRS. I also know that the "NY MED" channels are not universal across the state. I know across CNY it is not used as a universal tac channel for EMS. I would say that maybe 1 or 2 ambulances in my area even have that channel programmed in a radio, if anyone even knows it is there or its use. I would say from my experience that 155.715 was the closest to a statewide universal EMS channel and that has basically gone away now also. There is also very limited education or use of the national interop channels in CNY. The only reason most agencies in my area have some interop channels is because the county required it to be programmed with a new radio system as a standard radio plan. With that being said, things are certainly done differently downstate (ie. collaborative protocols) so I cannot speak for its usage down there.

Darkstar350

At the end of the day these nationwide/statewide interop channels along with their tones are more or less just a "suggestion"
Such frequencies most likely will not be used in the intended manner nothing short of a plague or zombie attack ;)
But im all for having designated simple analog frequencies set aside for agencies to use across entire states or country in the event of disasters where cell phones and even trunk systems may be dysfunctional - i think more agencies should make it a point to have such radios and even do regular radio checks

Suffolk county medcom 155.280 PL 156.7 is simulcasted on 464.200 PL 77.0 for whatever reason but i think its lower power
Also if conditions seem to be good for 150mhz then its usually good for low band as well
In Jersey you could try and pick up 46.46 as well which is Suffolk county fire dispatch

SMFD34

Thank You for that document. I have seen previous versions but not the most recent ones. I like the idea of standardizing the terminology but I also know that most users are very used to what is already in place. Most agencies near me actually have a hospital name programmed in each channel instead of the actual frequency name used to call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.