Suffolk Motorola Type ll Smartzone

danc107

Premium Subscriber
I was looking for some help, I have a friend who just joined the fire service and is looking for a scanner to pick up the Suffolk pd motorola ll smartzone. What scanner could he get that is cheap to listen to it. Thanks all

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
According to the RR database Suffolk County NY is on an open Motorola P25 Phase II system. Suffolk County

Your friend will need a P25 Phase II scanner. The link below is to Scanner Master. I include that for their comprehensive list of Phase II scanners.

Scanner Master

Last edited by a moderator:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
According to the RR database Suffolk County NY is on an open Motorola P25 Phase II system. Suffolk County

Your friend will need a P25 Phase II scanner. The link below is to Scanner Master. I include that for their comprehensive list of Phase II scanners.

Scanner Master

Before your friend buys anything please check with the New York State forum. Just click the REPORT link in the lower left corner and ask to have this thread moved to that forum.

NY State Scanning Forum

While Scanner Masters is a reliable source for scanners, I urge you to use their list but then shop around before you actually buy. Prices can vary widely.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
What scanner could he get that is cheap to listen to it. Thanks all
What's your friend's budget? Handheld or base? New or second hand? See Uniden's scanner offerings here. Any scanner listed as analog trunking here should be able to bring the Smartzone system in, albeit only talkgroups ID'ed as mode "A". However there'll come a day when they're going to take the Smartzone system offline since the county built a newer P25 Phase-II system linked here. For this system unfortunately your friend will need a more expensive scanner to bring it in. A Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 are recommended to overcome the likely effects of simulcast distortion

JethrowJohnson

I think his best bet is to go with a Uniden Bearcat SDS100 if he wants a portable or a Uniden Bearcat SDS200 if he wants a base scanner. Those are the only simulcast scanners so far, and the Suffolk County (Project 25) network uses simulcast cells and that's what they're in the process of switching to. Also, there are a couple DMR channels there too it looks like, but IF he wants to listen to those too, he'll need a DMR upgrade.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a friend who just joined the fire service and is looking for a scanner to pick up the Suffolk pd motorola ll smartzone

Your friend will need a P25 Phase II scanner.

For the system the OP specifically asked about, the Motorola Type II SmartZone, also in the database under Suffolk County NY, any digital scanner that supports rebanding should work. Suffolk County Motorola Smartzone Type II System

What exactly is your friend looking to listen to? As mentioned to you a month ago here, the county is transitioning to a P25 system. Much of it will be phase 1 and all the fire is supposed to be on phase 2. Right now all the Fres tg's are working on the smartzone and some on p25 system. And some of the other fire tg's are operating on phase 1 (site 4) and some are phase 2 (site 3). It really is a mess at the moment.

In that other thread of yours, bct15x programming help, you should be able to get the smartzone system on there but you would have to lock out all digital tg's as that radio is not digital.

w2oqd

Premium Subscriber
For the system the OP specifically asked about, the Motorola Type II SmartZone, also in the database under Suffolk County NY, any digital scanner that supports rebanding should work. Suffolk County Motorola Smartzone Type II System

What exactly is your friend looking to listen to? As mentioned to you a month ago here, the county is transitioning to a P25 system. Much of it will be phase 1 and all the fire is supposed to be on phase 2. Right now all the Fres tg's are working on the smartzone and some on p25 system. And some of the other fire tg's are operating on phase 1 (site 4) and some are phase 2 (site 3). It really is a mess at the moment.

In that other thread of yours, bct15x programming help, you should be able to get the smartzone system on there but you would have to lock out all digital tg's as that radio is not digital.
I noticed today that FRES and MEDCOM are only using the P25 System. FRES and MEDCOM Talkgroups on the Smartzone system seem to be silent. Police are still on both systems however.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a dongle watching that site in Unitrunker. I reset the hit counter a week ago. Not may tg’s active and a bunch that are not active and not on P25 yet.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I noticed today that FRES and MEDCOM are only using the P25 System. FRES and MEDCOM Talkgroups on the Smartzone system seem to be silent.

2576 no voice as of Thursday
2896 tg on but not being used daily
1360 still active with voice grants

1703513398883.png

These have been quiet for a while.

1703513328161.png