Suffolk P25 Phase II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey224

Can anybody confirm that the Phase II system is not "simulacasting" everyday. I'm receiving the site full signal strength but not hearing any transmission on some days.....

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Which site are you receiving? There are three of them...

mikey224

Would you happen to know the site locations for all 6 sites, the old system and new system. Right now I have them all programmed together for each system in a HPII. Maybe I'll try to only program the site that is closest to me and monitor that one so they're not competing which each other...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Where are you? I get site 4 and there is plenty of activity. Site 3 is not really active yet. Site 6 is busy at times.

Set it up with site 4

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There are two sites on the SmartZone system, and three sites on the P25 system. Most of them are simulcast cells, and so they cover a fairly large area.

Your best bet is to determine which control channels you're receiving the strongest, which will identify the sites nearest to you.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Remember - this is a new system!!
I've found the most activity can be found on the 800 MHz system. I've monitored the 700 and missed plenty of traffic on PD, Medcom, and FD talk groups. I chalked it up to being a new system and the possibility that not every radio is associated with every layer yet... or maybe someone is trying to keep public safety on 800, County Functions on 700, and then fill in the gaps with other sites.

We won't know until the system is fully populated.

So for now, try monitoring just the 800 layer. Since it is all simulcast it won't help to know what is the closest tower to your location, but what is the busiest layer on the system.

nyscan00

Premium Subscriber
I listen to site 4 daily and have not noticed any issues with receiving voice traffic. Also site 4 covers by far most of Suffolk even out into the Hamptons

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Very spotty on the P25 system, BUT everything, is on the old 800 system. Forget the p25 for now, nothing on there that is not on the 800.

Seanm214

Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas of when Suffolk county could possibly switch over to the phase 2 P25 system. I was thinking about buying a phase 1 scanner since they are a lot cheaper than phase 2 scanners but not worth it if they are going to switch to P25 phase 2 system soon. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Sean

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
From a hobby side of the house, there is no way of knowing until we start seeing Phase 2 talk groups.
Being that this system is still being populated and built, anything can change between now and when the system is fully deployed.

If it was me buying a new scanner for Suffolk's new system, I'd invest in Phase 2.

nyscan00

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas of when Suffolk county could possibly switch over to the phase 2 P25 system. I was thinking about buying a phase 1 scanner since they are a lot cheaper than phase 2 scanners but not worth it if they are going to switch to P25 phase 2 system soon. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Sean

Its still going to be quite a while until the entire county totally switches over. Many agencies have not purchased new equipment or flashed their existing. I would however invest in a Phase II scanner as its becoming the new standard as systems upgrade equipment

Machria

Premium Subscriber
What Site# is Medford in please. Thank you gents.

That is a very generic question that can't be answered really... first, what in "Medford" are you looking for? FD, PD, Ambulance/Rescue...?

2nd, on which system are you referring to, the P25 or Motorola type 2?

About three quarters of the way down (scroll down) on this link, you will find the Medford conventional freq's (mostly FD and rescue...): Suffolk County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Then the talkgroups for "Medford" would be the 3rd precinct PD who covers the Medford area talkgroup #52976 on the Suffolk motorola tyupe 2 system. They will be herd of course on the Suffolk County site on that system.

3rd Precinct PD on the P25 system would be talkgroup 3311, and on site #004, "800 Simulcast". But as mentioned, I'm not sure you will hear much if anything on there yet. Stick with the motorola system for now.

Does that help?

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
Depends on what your trying to listen to.
mototype 2 system would be site 1
on the p25 side site 4
and if its pd you want to listen to, its the 5th precinct maybe the 6th precinct in some spots or command for the lie.
3rd precinct covers west of connetqout ave
if you could be a little more specific in what your trying to listen to i can better assist you

Status
Not open for further replies.