Suggest New Digital Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhadresh

Hello,

I am looking for a new device to work on 2m & 70cm bands. I have some restrictions due to which I will have to setup my antenna indoor.

I am planning to go for Diamond X50A antenna, which I will keep indoor near window.

Please suggest me new digital radio and let me know if this antenna will work or is there any better solution.

Regards,
KE8CTP

Gunnar_Guy

You need to narrow the criteria down here a little. Doing digital modes on which bands and which protocols? There are no dual band digital radios AFAIK, so pretty much automatically you need to determine which band you want to use.

Here in Colorado almost all DMR is being put on 70cm with a few 2m. The D-STAR repeaters are primarily 70cm, a few 2m and some 23cm. The handful of P25 here are 2m. So I selected a UHF radio for the DMR I do.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
As Gunnar_Guy points out, it's hard to say which radio you need.... For instance, if you have no System Fusion repeaters nearby it would be a waste to get a Fusion handheld :)

You also need to look around, see what is being used and which is most popular. For instance, we have a P25 repeater nearby. It's open, but it's primarily used by a very small group of close friends. Unless I got to know them, I'd be an outsider on that repeater.

D-Star and DMR on the other hand are both popular and doing well where I live. I have a radio for each mode.

PS.. There are dual band digital radios.. Icom makes dual band mobile and handheld D-Star rigs and Yeasu has dual band Fusion models. P25 and DMR on the other hand is still limited to single band radios.

FKimble

The Diamond x50 works very well in my attic. Just don't have the radio near the antenna or RF will get into it an cause problems.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
There are dual band digital radios.. Icom makes dual band mobile and handheld D-Star rigs and Yeasu has dual band Fusion models. P25 and DMR on the other hand is still limited to single band radios.

There are dual band P25 radios, both Motorola and Harris produce multi band radios, both mobile and portable.

Kenwood has the NX-5xxx series mobiles. Up to three RF decks can be connected to one control head. Out of the box, this radio will do NXDN conventional. NXDN trunking, P25 conventional, P25 trunking phase 1, and P25 trunking phase 2 are all optional. The NX-5xxx portables are single band only.

To the OP:

We need more details on what kind of digital mode you want to operate, and what kind of a budget you have before we can really suggest a particular radio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
There are no dual band digital radios AFAIK, so pretty much automatically you need to determine which band you want to use.

No digital dual band? Icom DSTAR offers dual band and multi band. Yaesu Fusions are dual. Baofeng DA-77 dual band for DMR is on it's way.

Gunnar_Guy

PS.. There are dual band digital radios.. Icom makes dual band mobile and handheld D-Star rigs and Yeasu has dual band Fusion models. P25 and DMR on the other hand is still limited to single band radios.
No digital dual band? Icom DSTAR offers dual band and multi band. Yaesu Fusions are dual. Baofeng DA-77 dual band for DMR is on it's way.
Excellent point, it's my mistake. I had in my mind a surplus commercial rig when I think of digital. There do exist multi-band commercial radios but big money for an APX7000, for example and not common for ham DMR & P25 (as in not tons out there used). But certainly there are ham radios for D-STAR and Fusion that are dual band and the price is somewhat more reasonable.

Last edited:

bhadresh

Thanks for the help.

I think I should go for a normal 2m/70cm radio because I am not sure whether the repeaters nearby supports DMR, D-STAR.

Which radio do you guys suggest?

Gunnar_Guy

Find one that is close and decide. My $0.02 is that DMR and Fusion seem to be actively growing, P25 is a niche and D-STAR is established but relatively flat growth. With Kenwood entering the fray with D-STAR I think only P25 is the real black sheep and it's totally likely D-STAR will start seeing more growth.

If you want the least amount of risk pick a D-STAR or Fusion from Icom, Yaesu, etc. because even if you don't do digital you'll have a very functional analog radio, too. DMR and P25 radios are usually analog and digital but overall are more limited in function, fewer memories, higher priced accessories, etc. that make them less desirable from a ham standpoint.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Metro Digital

Bhadresh:

Unless there's a machine I haven't heard of, all ACTIVE digital in Michigan and SE Ontario, except for one P25 repeater, is on 440.
(there's some 900 Mhz P25 machines, but everything 900 is drier that last years birds nest around here). My suggestion is to plug the digital repeaters Gunnar Guy listed into a scanner or radio, and listen to which ones are active, and which ones are strong. You will only hear noise, but if the scanner stays on the channel for a while, it's a good indication there's conversations going on.

I can vouch that DMR is very active, but hesitate to say go DMR over D-Star or Fusion because I don't have those two, and really can't say how active they are.

Nobody talks about D-Star around here. I'm not saying it's not being used, I just never hear anyone mention it on the air. Literally. As you will see listed, there is a D-Star machine in Auburn Hills, is it active enough to buy a radio for? Like I said, plug it into a scanner and see if it sounds like there are conversations going on.

I agree with Gunnar Guy, Fusion or D-Star would be a good choice if they are active because they are front panel programmable radios.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.