Suggestion: CFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyishere

I am sorry if this thread has been made previously, hopefully not.

I am going to be in the Columbus area for a couple of days, I need to know what is best to monitor Columbus Fire Department. So if anyone would be kind enough to help a fellow listener out, please do so!
Also how hard will it be to program, I can most likely do it. Just wondering!

Thank You! :)

HarryWilly

Firstly, your scanner needs to support Motorola Type II trunking systems (essentially any trunking scanner will handle it)

What you will want to do is program talkgroup #272 (hex 011) for dispatch. It is the automated voice dispatcher, and calls will be going out just about constantly if not a one or two every minute to couple minutes.

When calls are toned out.. they will either be a high-low tone for EMS (it will sound like bee-doo-bee-doo-bee-doo) or a single long beep for fire related calls. The dispatcher will anounce what they are to respond to.

Example: [BEEEEEEEEEEEP] RESPOND ON BATTALION 8 FIREGROUND... 123 ANY STREET... REPORT OF A FIRE... . ENGINE 15, ENGINE 16, ENGINE 17, LADDER 1, LADDER 2, BATTALION 8.... [it will repeat]

If you don't care about EMS ops, don't bother with those talkgroups. When fires get toned out, units are assigned to a channel based on battalion officer in charge, so plug those all in (like above, Battalion 8 fireground for Batallion 8 calls) - you want the all talks. If you take the time to program the other tacticals, that will be helpful, but those are for sub-divisions at a scene (i.e. Interior crew will be on Battalion 8, tac 1)

Just in general, if all you care about is fire/ems, program it so you are always holding on the dispatch talkgroup, and then lock out all others, and unlock them only as units are assigned to use them.

HarryWilly

As far as programming goes, it will take a bit, but it will be worth it. You can technically do control channel only scanning (if your scanner supports it). I have a group programed on my BCT-15 with just the control channels for when I drive through there. I really only listen to disptach.

The talkgroups are a pain, but if you want to make a separate template for just Columbus, here is what I would reccomend.

Do a Dispatch group, with the dispatch talkgroup, and only dispatch talkgroup. If you really care about units putting themselves in service (and situations to, so it may be worth it) add talkgroup 5168, which is the official dispatch channel for talking to a human.

Make a group for each of the batallion talkgroups... have them line up with quick-keys on the scanner (or banks). There are only 7 battalions, it makes it really easy when fires are toned out - when you hear a fire toned out in battalion 4's area for example, you will easily be able to hit "4" on your scanner and have all the relative talkgroups unlocked.

Use remaining groups (and quick keys) for EMS, and Police interoperability. On car accidents and incidents where police are assigned, EMS will often be told to respond on "8 POLICE-FIRE" (or other police-fire) channels so that FD can talk with PD.

If you have software you program your scanner with, I may be able to send you a file with a "Columbus Fire/EMS only" setup... again depending on scanner used.

HarryWilly

I should probably mention you could also listen to the feed online to get an idea of what it sounds like for calls. The feed is on a scanner, and without tags right now, it is hard to identify who is talking on what (other than the Locution computer voice dispatch channel). As of writing this post units are enroute to a reported fire with a full assignment.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=172

andyishere

Thanks man! You have been a major help, now I have a Pro-164, Triple Trunking scanner. Now it is a motorola. So I am on trunk right now and put in 272(just wanting dispatch.) So now that I stuck it in... It should work correct?

(new to trunking, used to regular freq.)

Thanks.

HarryWilly

What you will need to do is put in your trunk frequencies (which is everyone one of the frequencies listed for the main trunk site on the database page for franklin county: here)

Then you will need to do your talkgroups. 272 is main dispatch, just remember that all you are going to get is the automated voice letting you know what calls are coming in. No human voices are transmitted over than channel.

I actually do not have a Pro-164, and haven't dealt with GREs/RadioShacks since the PRO-95, but here is some EXCELLENT instructions by user Steve: How To Program Pro-164

Essentially what you want to do is make a bank for Columbus. To do this:

• (In a empty bank) Press Manual, Then Program
  • Press "Mode" until "MO" is selected
  • Program ALL of the frequencies for the system in the channels of the bank
  • After you have all the channels in, add your talkgroup, in this case ID#00272
  • You should now be all set to hear the dispatch channel and only the dispatch channel

It sounds like you are on the right track, you just forgot the trunking frequencies.

andyishere

Sorry for double posting.

Okay I am in columbus now, and have program all the Freq. in! I am hearing the radio traffic for all the things... Just one problem, I cant just listen to dispatch for Fire/EMS! I saved it and such and when I go to just that one Freq. it is static... Now when I hit trunk it is silent... Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.