Suggestion for a small quality DC power supply to power one radio-receive only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Helping out a friend with a radio that is decoding data, we have great signal strength but poor S/N. I also see the S/N ratio fluctuate at the same time the voltage will fluctuate (the radio has a web interface and shows displays for this). The voltage fluctuations are only a couple of tenths of a volt but I found it interesting that the S/N would fluctuate at the same time.

The power supply I used was a 12volt switching power supply rated at 1 amp, the radio doesn't even pull an amp, and I've used this same type of power supply to power other radios in the past without problems. But now I'm suspicious of it and I'd like to replace it with something I know will not cause noise problems.

Also I'm not able to actually listen to the audio from this radio, it is data only, and I don't have the proper equipment to test the noise levels from the power supply.

The radio can handle anywhere from 13.8V to 30 V DC. Any suggestions for a small but quality power supply that doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks!

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Yeah I know they are one of the best if not "the" best choice but I don't think they make anything small side do they? I'm just powering one radio in receive only mode.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If your receiver is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, you probably need a high-quality, fully-regulated, linear power supply. As noted, the Astron linear models are considered the gold standard by many. I think the RS-4 is the smallest linear model they offer.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
If your receiver is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, you probably need a high-quality, fully-regulated, linear power supply. As noted, the Astron linear models are considered the gold standard by many. I think the RS-4 is the smallest linear model they offer.

There's nothing wrong with a quality switching supply. It's a "you get what you pay for" world. Astron switching supplies have been fine for me for a decade now.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
+1 on Astron power supplies. I bought my 35-amp Astron linear PS at the Dayton HamVention over 30-years ago and it is still humming along. For the OP's purpose I would recommend the RS-4A / RS-4L but you might consider one with a bit more power. Radios have a habit of multiplying. ;o)

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
prcguy, there are many times I wish that you were closer!

Thanks everyone. I have 5 of these exact radios running along with some other radios all running from a large Pyramid power supply and I don't have this problem at my location.

I'll look into your suggestions.

WB9YBM

The radio can handle anywhere from 13.8V to 30 V DC. Any suggestions for a small but quality power supply that doesn't cost a fortune?

For something that simple, the cheapest is probably to build your own (haven't built one recently; rough estimate ten bucks give or take).

Wall-warts are also cheap but some've been known to be of questionable quality.

For store-bought I've had good luck with Astron; I use the standard analog (i.e. not the switcher) types.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
For something that simple, the cheapest is probably to build your own (haven't built one recently; rough estimate ten bucks give or take).

Wall-warts are also cheap but some've been known to be of questionable quality.

For store-bought I've had good luck with Astron; I use the standard analog (i.e. not the switcher) types.

Can you link me to any plans for building one?

majoco

Stirrer
If you are going to build your own, there are plenty of schematics around but you need to get all the info first. You'll need the required voltage and tolerance/regulation, overcurrent and overvoltage protection, the maximum current draw, that's with high volume and dial lights on if any, ambient temperature maximum, ie. do you want to run it outside in the sun, a nice box to put it in. Yes, it could easily be done, but it's a bit like reinventing the wheel.

I made this one way back in 1983 - waaay over-engineered, all homebrew, physically large size 15" wide by 6.5" high, to match a couple of receivers I put on top, the heatsink on the back is the same size as the front panel, perfect regulation, it'll give out 10Amps all day and about 17Amps if I disable the current limit, it just cruises along now! Based on a Linsley Hood dual bench supply from the "Wireless World"

DSCF1508.JPG Linsley Hood dual PSU.jpg

I'm sure you could get by with something smaller like this, $10 on our local net auction site.

DSCF1509.jpg

6079smithw

I'm sure you could get by with something smaller like this, $10 on our local net auction site.

View attachment 100923

I have a a Radio Shack 22-504 that's older than Moses and still puts out a solid and stable 13.7 volts @ 3A.
About the same size as the GME and has both the binding posts and the lighter socket.
Powers a Kenwood TK-940 I use to monitor CalTrans ops on I-80.
Plenty of them on eBay...

WB9YBM

Can you link me to any plans for building one?

C1 = 1,000uf per amp drawn by the load; C2, C3 4.7uF each mounted as close to the regulator as possible; heat sinking of the regulator to the metal enclosure housing the power supply. D1 is a full-wave bridge rectifier (also suggested to be mounted the same way as the regulator) and should have a higher current rating than the regulator to allow for the in-rush current to the capacitors.1616426288630.png

1616426288630.png
In case you don't have parts sources here are a few I've had luck with:
DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor
Jameco Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor
Newark Electronics | Electronic Components Distributor
Electronic Components Distributor - Mouser Electronics

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Thanks!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

Says listing is closed. Is it still for sale?

Yes it is. It won't allow me to re-open it. If the listing doesn't still give you an option to buy, just contact me via PM (Private Message, aka; Conversation. I was able to edit the listing to indicate it is a Jameco brand, one of the recommended brands in this thread. I'll ship via US Priority Mail on my dime (actually about $8.00). :)

Thanks,
Bill

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Go with Astron and be done with it. It will be the last power supply you buy. Had my Astron RS35M for over 20 years and it still works well. I never had to change any parts or get it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.