Suggestion for a small quality DC power supply to power one radio-receive only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Go with Astron and be done with it. It will be the last power supply you buy. Had my Astron RS35M for over 20 years and it still works well. I never had to change any parts or get it fixed.

Agreed! I opted for the RS20M (20 AMP) as I'm powering only scanners and one CB. No noisy fans!

1616780681450.png1616780749263.png

WB9YBM

Go with Astron and be done with it. It will be the last power supply you buy. Had my Astron RS35M for over 20 years and it still works well. I never had to change any parts or get it fixed.

Just wanted to add my voice to this: I've also used several Astron power supplies of different current capabilities for many decades, all with positive experiences. Definitely a brand I can recommend.

WB9YBM

No noisy fans!

Fans are still a good idea, though: solid state circuitry isn't as forgiving as vacuum tubes when it comes to heat. If fans get too loud, there a few options:
  • using a fan with higher cubic-feet-per-minute rating than needed and just throttle them back (with a resistor) to a lower RPM;
  • have the fans turn on only when needed (like with a temperature sensing device or with a manual switch);
  • ball bearing fans typically are a bit quieter (and last longer) than sleeve bearing fans;
  • and other ideas I'm sure a few other folks out there might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.