Suggestion for Future Display change

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Disclosure: All the digital scanners I have were mfg by GRE. However, I have read most of the posts and watched videos of SDS 100/200.
I am impressed by the great amount of customization possible for the display. I see that there are 3 major divisions of the screen: System, Department, Channel. Each of these can have their own color, and a tall line of text, if a understand correctly. But I also think the content for each section must come from the data for that section, you have to show the System name, etc.
It seems to me that in many if not most cases, if you know the department you also know what the system is. If I had one of the scanners, i would prefer to use one of the tall lines for the radio alias such as Engine 56 so that my tall lines might be Podunk FD, Tac 3, Engine 56 for example. I might not need or want to show the System "Big County P25"
I think a good scanner could be a greater scanner if the user could have more flexibility in selecting which and how many (subject to available space) Tall lines, Small lines, and compact fields were used, their content, and arrangement.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
You can already do that

I just opened the Display Customizer in the latest version of Sentinel. I saw no other options available for System Name, Department Name, or Channel Name.
Did I miss something? I would like flexibility in the information for those fields.

osiris

A particular Talk Group or frequency can have multiple units on it. For example zone 4 in my county has 3 different police depts with multiple cars in each one there is no way to assign a particular talk group to a particular dept or car number.
Bob

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
You misunderstood my post. I was wanting more flexibility in selecting what data was displayed on the 3 Big/Tall fields. I wanted to be able to use one of them to show the Radio ID Name/Alias field, rather than having that data in one of the smaller font fields. If I see the department name I would know the system name that included that department, so I would not want to "waste" one of the Big fields by showing the System name in it.

mkt853

Disclosure: All the digital scanners I have were mfg by GRE. However, I have read most of the posts and watched videos of SDS 100/200.
I am impressed by the great amount of customization possible for the display. I see that there are 3 major divisions of the screen: System, Department, Channel. Each of these can have their own color, and a tall line of text, if a understand correctly. But I also think the content for each section must come from the data for that section, you have to show the System name, etc.
It seems to me that in many if not most cases, if you know the department you also know what the system is. If I had one of the scanners, i would prefer to use one of the tall lines for the radio alias such as Engine 56 so that my tall lines might be Podunk FD, Tac 3, Engine 56 for example. I might not need or want to show the System "Big County P25"
I think a good scanner could be a greater scanner if the user could have more flexibility in selecting which and how many (subject to available space) Tall lines, Small lines, and compact fields were used, their content, and arrangement.
You can't really do that, because how would you select a different system for example if it's not displayed? Those three big text lines are hooked up to the three soft keys along the bottom.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
I didn’t realize they were tied to soft keys. I wanted to use one of the smaller fields to id the system. Thanks for the info about the fixed tie to the soft key.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I didn’t realize they were tied to soft keys. I wanted to use one of the smaller fields to id the system. Thanks for the info about the fixed tie to the soft key.
I think you can change the smaller field to just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.