Suggestion For Next Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I certainly had a great time visiting with everyone at the most recent meeting. I also have a thought for a project for the next meeting. If people here think it is too frivolous, please speak up. I know on YouTube there are some videos comparing scanners head to head. I am just wondering if there is any interest in doing that here on the ARMER system. What I would propose is to have at least the following three radios:

-Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT

-Uniden Home Patrol HP-1

-GRE/GRE Made Radio Shack Scanner

To make the test as objective as possible, why not have all of them programmed alike on the ARMER system. By that I mean the same control channel(s) and talkgroups. Maybe limit it to the sub-system of whatever county we would be located in. For example, if we meet in West Saint Paul, comapre exclusively on the Dakota County sub-system. Needless to say, we could compare ID SCAN to ID SEARCH, etc. I am not saying that we have to make a YouTube video, but if someoneis interested in that sort of thing, that would be fine, too. Anyway, my motivation would be to simple compare head-to-head several radios on the ARMER system to see how they sound. I know some other users on CQPSK variants will state that some talkgroups don't even get received on one radio while they do on another radio. Also, in the interest of making this fair, I think all radios should have the most current firmware from their manufacturer. Anyway, would there be ANY interest in doing this at the next meeing?

One other thought would be to even add a Motorola in the mix. Chuck has his, so perhaps we could program in the same talkgroups and run Motorola XTs vs. BCD396XT vs. HP-1 vs. GRE. Obviously the Motorola will win, but it still might be fun to monitor the exact same talkgroups on the same sub-system to compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NE8Z3Zjeg8

Last edited:

N0FPY

Ideas for next meeting location

Does anyone have an idea for a meeting location in the south east metro? (West St. Paul area.)

We would need a place that has a free party room that could hold about 20 - 25 people and has free wireless internet. (Electric outlets are a must have item)

Also, food that could be ordered at a counter.

We could possibly plan something for late April or early May.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
Eagan Davanni's

Davannis : Location Details

The Eagan Davanni's does have wifi. I suspect that they would allow us to use the AC outlets as well. I think it would be an excellent location for a meeting!

JASII

Memory Capacity
I know have a Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 and I have noticed that the database could be improved with some local input. I was wondering if anybody else here would like to have a meeting to focus on improving the Uniden Home Patrol Database? This meeting would not exclude non Home Patrol users, however, since this database can benefit everyone. I did send a message to NDRADIONUT just to verify that he wants this inormation. I know in some cases there are frequencies that don't list a PL/DPL/NAC code. If we have the information, we might just as well add it to the database.

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
hello all
i ve been listening to scanners since 1970 and alot has changed, i ve worked DF'ing for both Anoka and Hennipen counties and amateur radio. meetings would be great because there are alot of variables from
scanner to scanner and site to site, i have both scanners 796d and 996T they both are different in RX'ing.
the 996t i have on line and as i listen upstairs via wifi i get chopping on both the begining and end of transmissons, i am on a 60ft tower and can't tell if i am getting interfearence from more than one site.
but as we get older and less able to retain what we learn we need to be able to communicate more and offten
to keep up to date. any help i am up for. nice to get a chat messaging going also. 73's n0mnb

Status
Not open for further replies.