Suggestion:RR Icecast/TS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

Why not have a Radio reference Icecast or Teamspeak Server, just with people that want to feed as long as they are a Radio Reference member here at the Forums? Id be interested in hosing a CA feed if we got it up and goin. Just a idea. :)

Utah_Viper

With all the different times that we want live feeds here this is a great idea! We have seen over the last few weeks that many things come up that we all want to listen to. Also as mentioned it could be another revenue for RR.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
TS would be interesting - although for live audio feeds it sucks - it's very inconvenient vs opening up a web browser and pointing it to a stream.

As for Icecast/Shoutcast, scanamerica.us already does a great job at streaming. Of course I'm not sure if they would be interested in hosting some of the more oddball streams that an RR user might want to stream (various HF, military, etc.)

mike

landonjensen

I too agree I would like to see a Icecast Server more than a TS Server... Even if we had both that would be great... Maybe not charge people to listen, but Donations accepted? Or even if you wanted to listen, you had to be a Prem. Subscriber here on the Forums?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Couple reasons:

1. The bandwidth is VERY very expensive. I realize that there are folks out there running servers already, but the reality is that the traffic this site might drive to feeds directly could be very expensive.

2. There are already some good providers out there... SBN, ScanAmerica.us, et at.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking hard at a business model to support such a platform, but right now the model is still evoloving and I'm still considering if it makes since for radioreference.

Also, note that my efforts to stream Katrina operations 3 years ago netted me a 3K bandwidth bill... ;-). Now before all the experts jump my sh*t telling me "my host provides such and such" don't worry, believe me, I know. Dime a dozen, etc, et al... blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.