Suggestions for a new guy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DWB

QRT
Here's my HT, in this case a Yaesu FT3D. See image below. You can tell if it's an HT if it looks like a walkie talkie, fits in your hand, and has the antenna on top. Typically speaking anyway. A vanity call is optional and free. I've recently gotten mine directly from the FCC ULS form database.

20200807_163751.jpg

u2fan61

Premium Subscriber
Ya, gotta admit. Always wanted to be ready for a world gone sideways. All this COVID crap in March kinda sealed the deal. I want To get licensed, maybe put a portable in the house, but more than not, hear what’s going on around me

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Ya, gotta admit. Always wanted to be ready for a world gone sideways. All this COVID crap in March kinda sealed the deal. I want To get licensed, maybe put a portable in the house, but more than not, hear what’s going on around me

There are a lot of ham radio courses and study material on the web. While it is certainly nice to do it in person (I used to teach some ham study classes), just use the online stuff and call it a day.

And if you want the honest to god truth, you're probably not going to learn a lot prior to taking the test. Know and understand some of the basics that are on there, know your frequency limits, etc., but just memorize the questions and pass the test. The learning happens after you get your license and start setting up radios and playing.

K9DWB

QRT
You could try mock tests and study info on Ham Study. I think the registration for it is free. I got an invite after I bought a Signal Stick dual band antenna for the HT. I did the prep for General on their site and it seemed to help as I passed it. Technician tests seem easy enough and I've seen both online and in person still available. It just depends on what's available to you in your area. Best of luck to you on the testing when you get it done.

Alain

u2fan61...

If you haven't already done so, why not try your hand at one of the online ham radio license websites, as K9DWB suggests?! For me, it was a lot easier then reading it out of an ARRL manual. I'm a visual learner and here's the one I used...you might like it too!

Give it a go and see what happens! There are some websites with PowerPoint presentations [PPT], which also include illustrations, to help you mentally retain your responses with a visual emphasis.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

WB9YBM

A lot of radio manufacturers make most of their money selling radios with more features than most people actually use or need. The radio spec's I've seen (I've been looking at Icom & Yeasu), the receivers of the low-end transceivers have identical spec's to the top end radios which tells me they're using the same RF sections in different packages, with the primary differences being the "Bells & Whistles" added to the radios. If that's still true--and/or true across the board--don't let a salesman sucker you into buying more than you need. (Instead you might want to take the money you save and put it into antenna upgrades--the most important part of the set-up).

I've heard multiple hams say "I don't use half the features in my radio--just don't need them" after they got talked into buying the fanciest radio out there. And, if you decide in the future that you want to get involved in more intense operation like DXing or contesting, plenty of time then to upgrade... (I operated successfully for several decades with nothing fancier than an old tube radio and did just fine with that and a few dipoles.)

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Welll, I have often recommended to people that asked (I never offer such advice unsolicited) they buy a radio or a camera just a smidge beyond what they want or need at the moment. If the device is getting used much, there's a good chance that a feature or two will be wanted later, and an upgrade might cost more than getting one with a few more features to begin with.

Of course, due caution is needed to prevent a case of buyer's remorse due to ultimate package purchase.

KO4IPV

Get a mobile first. A lot of people get frustrated with a portable and its limitations.

Also, get a vanity callsign.
Noticed you mentioned vanity ! What is the difference between vanity and a regular call sign ? I will be taking my Technician element soon just curious.

K9DWB

QRT
Regular or sequential call signs are generated as the next available sequential appropriate for your license class. Technician calls get pulled either C or D pool. I would say you'll get a D style as I did in July. This is a 2 X 3 or 2 letters then a number according to your regional number and then 3 more letters. My original call as an example was KC3PRU.

My vanity call is one I requested for free on the FCC ULS search website. It is also where you can make administrative station changes like address or email. I filled out a vanity call form that has a reason for request box and then up to 25 various combinations of letters, numbers, and letters again with first entry being the first you want considered. You may use the ULS to search various call combos and see if they are held by someone or if they are vacant. Vacant calls need to be so for 2 years before being permitted to reassignment as I recall. Vanity for technician can be 2X3 D type as I mentioned or C type 1X3 such as my vanity K9DWB. I now have General class as I took that exam in late September.

Vanity requests take about 18 business days for the FCC to approve and make that your legal call. Mine was completed in 13 days. I only listed 2 of 25 possibles as I didn't find most available to my liking. Note that I have a 9 in my call, as vanity calls may have any number that points to the continental 48 states. I think Alaska, Hawaii, and the territories are not vanity assignable. My number 9 alludes to my home being in the Midwest, but I do in fact live in PA, which is part of group 3 as in my sequential call mentioned first.

WB9YBM

Noticed you mentioned vanity ! What is the difference between vanity and a regular call sign ? I will be taking my Technician element soon just curious.

Vanity callsigns are just like vanity license plates for a car: you can use them to show off your initials, abbreviation for your favorite club, etc. or as an alternate to the assigned call from the FCC. For example I've heard some CW ops saying the callsign issued them was cumbersome to send on CW or, on phone, hard to understand in less-than-favorable band conditions (like the letters "M" and "N" or "B" and "D" are easy to confuse) so they pick something more easily understood

K9DWB

QRT
I was just a little off in my description of Vanity calls. The section number with CA has Hawaii listed as Pacific, I think it was section 6. Then in section 7 was Washington state, Oregon, others and Alaska.

KO4IPV

Vanity callsigns are just like vanity license plates for a car: you can use them to show off your initials, abbreviation for your favorite club, etc. or as an alternate to the assigned call from the FCC. For example I've heard some CW ops saying the callsign issued them was cumbersome to send on CW or, on phone, hard to understand in less-than-favorable band conditions (like the letters "M" and "N" or "B" and "D" are easy to confuse) so they pick something more easily understood
Ooo Kay that’s what I thought but did not want to assume, thanks so much for that fact. Yes I would Like to get my fathers old call sign which he retired about 15 years ago I’m not sure if I can get it but I’m going to try

WB9YBM

Ooo Kay that’s what I thought but did not want to assume, thanks so much for that fact. Yes I would Like to get my fathers old call sign which he retired about 15 years ago I’m not sure if I can get it but I’m going to try

Usually there's a waiting period between the time a callsign is returned to the pool of unused callsigns but if memory serves relatives get priority on getting the callsign from a deceased relative; I think they might require something like a death certificate and proof that you're related (although rules might've changed a bit since I heard about it).

K9DWB

QRT
Yes that's what I recall on relative and vanity call requests. You might want to ULS search your father's call to see if it's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.