Suggestions for Computer Controlled Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbenton

I have a PRO-96 currently. But I'm thinking a computer-controlled scanner might be interesting. However, as I look at the various options, none seem to handle everything I'd be interested in. In particular, I need digital trunking (Motorola, P25) for the my area. But I'd also like a broader frequency range than the 25-1300 I already have on my PRO-96.

Uniden doesn't go outside 25-1300.
Winradio only trunks on the 1000,1500,and 3000 and at that, doesn't mention P25.
AOR 8600 will handle P25, but apparently not trunking.
ICOM PCRs don't seem to support trunking either.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The PCR1000/100 do indeed support trunking (via a program called TrunkPCR) but not P25. And if memory serves that program also partially supports the new 1500 as well.

Your much better bet is to get a Uniden such as the 996 or the discontinued BC796. Both will handle P25 and should have little issues with rebanding when it comes (the 785 will not be supported for rebanding, so that one is out....). Then get a seperate HF rx.

Simply put, when a manufacturer puts such broad spectrum coverage in a radio, many times they will cut corners in order to keep the prices down. In many cases, it's the HF performance that will suffer - either by being prone to overloading, poor ultimate selectivity and other factors. In addition keeping your coverage seperate will add a bit of flexibility to your station that a single radio is unlikely to be able to provide.

73s Mike

chris24go

Stay away from Uniden poor customer support. I finally after a year of back and forth got a new 996T and they they did not clone my old to new know I am tring to start from the bottom up again. Any help would be appreciated I scan Public safety and live in VA/DC.

smason

assuming you want below 25 and not above 1300, I'd do 2 radios.
GRE PSR 500 or 600 and a Ten-Tec RX320 for .6 - 30 Mhz.
The computer control of the GRE is great, and the Ten-Tec is ONLY computer control, and there are some great free programs for it. If you want manual as well as computer control the ICOM R75 is great though more $$ than the 320

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.