Suggestions for ht?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClemsonSCJ

I’ve got a couple Baofengs that I bought when I first started tooling around with ham stuff late last year and I’ve learned a lot in that time and am ready to take my exam for tech. My work schedule is supposed to be changing here in the next few weeks and hopefully I’ll be able to get that scheduled when I do.

Anyways, I’m wanting to upgrade to a good quality ht and I gotta be honest, the options for handhelds is not near what I thought it would be. It’s no wonder the UV-5R’s are so popular. My 2 “must have“ features is 1) dual band and 2) some degree of water resistance. I would prefer waterproof, but as long as it can stand up to water splashes and a hard rain or something that would be ok. I don’t plan on submersing it, but I’m the type I like to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. My next preferred feature is a fast scan. I really like to scan repeaters, GMRS, FRS, MURS, Marine, you name it...and one thing I love about my Icom 2730 in my Jeep is the scan is crazy fast. If someone’s talking, you’re not likely to miss them. My UV-50X2 on the other hand, the scan is so slow you’ll likely never catch anyone talking because if your scan list is more than 10 channels, the odds of you landing on a channel long enough and frequently enough to catch somebody talking is slim to none.

I’ve been eyeballing either an Anytone AT-D878UV or one of the Yaesu models. The Anytone has all my “must have” features, but the scan feature is pretty doggone slow. The Yaesus are slightly lacking on the weatherproofing (compared to the 878), but the scan feature is exactly what I’m looking for.

Any other models you guys are running out there that you would suggest or recommend?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yaesu FT-60 is a good little radio. Not sure if they are still sold new, but if you can find a good used one, they're nice.

They'll stand up to rain and the like. My dad, brother and brother in law used to use them while riding ATV's.

I've been out of the ham radio scene for a while, so not sure what's on the new market right now.

bb911

I chose the Alinco DJ-VX50T over the Yaesu FT-60R to save a few bucks. The $100 Alinco isn't bad, but for good programming software, you need to buy it from RT Systems, along with their cable for $50 (total). The Alinco is "IP67 Rated (Dust and Water Protection)" which is why you can find some hams giving them full immersion tests on YouTube. I believe one did survive a 5 min test. Bottom line: I wish I had purchased the Yaesu.

footage

Premium Subscriber
When I asked a few years back, @mmckenna suggested the Yaesu FT-60 (now FT-60R) and I can't agree more. The scan is faster than many scanners and a lot faster than most CCRs. Lots of Yaesu and third-party accessories. No digital, but there's still a lot of analog in the world. Extremely durable. Easy to program (and the RT Systems software works quite well too).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a VX-170 for many years. It was the radio I carried on me when I rode ATV's.

It would get splattered with mud, snow, rain, dust, bugs and smacked by brush.

I could take it back to camp and stick it under running water to clean it off. I think I did dunk it in soapy water once when it was particularly nasty.

Never had any issues with it. Was only single band, but that was all I needed.

I think it was one of the ham radios that I sold on e-Bay where I got more money when I sold it used than what I paid for it brand new from HRO. But that's a whole 'nuther story.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
I have had my Kenwood TH-F6A since they were first on the market many years ago. As far as I am concerned, these things are flawless in operation and and can really take a beating. Out of production now but can be had at reasonable prices all day long.

ClemsonSCJ

Thanks for all the replies. Seems as though just from this forum and others I've been searching that the FT-60 is a tried and tested radio. I'm drifted into this hobby from more of a "prepper" mindset, however being the nerd that I am the more I research the more interested I become in digital capabilities. I'm afraid if I went with the FT-60 it would serve my immediate needs but as rapidly as my interests have evolved in the few short months I've been researching amateur radio, I'm afraid I'll quickly want the digital capabilities and regret having not invested in it.

So that said, I'm considering going ahead and putting a little extra money into either the FT3DR or the AT-D878UV. Here's my thought process on both...the FT3, and Yaesu in general, is a super reputable brand and the radio seems to get tons of raving reviews. However, Yaesu uses its own proprietary Fusion digital mode which there are hardly any Fusion repeaters around me. I think there's maybe 1 but I would never hit it with a ht. DMR is far more popular around me just by looking at repeaterbook so that kinda makes me lean towards the Anytone. On the flip side, I do like the FT3's broader receive capabilities and the ability to monitor basically everything from .5Mhz to 999Mhz.

Having done some light research into digital, I've learned that I can get my own hotspot and utilize Fusion in that way without needing a local repeater, so the fact that I have no local repeaters doesn't give me a whole lot of heartburn. So assuming all other things are equal between the two radios, I basically would need to decide if the expanded receive capabilities of the FT3 is worth the extra $150 over the Anytone. The only thing I could think of off-hand that I would want to be able to receive outside of 136-174 and 400-480 is my local law enforcement agencies. The question I would have there is would these radios even be able to pick that up if we are using P25 radios in South Carolina? If not, then I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Also on the topic of the Anytone. It appears there are 3 different models of the 878. There's the basic 878 which is around $210ish. Then there's the 878Plus which is around $240. And then finally you've got the 878IIPlus which is right at $300. The difference between the 878 and 878Plus is Bluetooth, so I don't need any clarification between those models. However it seems when you go to the 878IIPlus they have added APRS Rx capabilities where the 878 and 878Plus only have APRS Tx capabilities. Obviously not being licensed I don't know much about what all you can do with APRS other than GPS tracking. Is there any reason I would want Rx capabilities from APRS that would make it worth the extra $60?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You've provided an accurate assessment and understanding of your local DMR vs Fusion situation. Neither a Yaesu nor AnyTone radio will receive P25... get a scanner for that. What are the "broader receive capabilities" of the Yaesu FT3 that have your interest? And APRS is interesting if you are interested in tracking yourself or others that have enabled APRS. Beyond that... not much being done with it re: DMR or Fusion..

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yaesu VX-6 is water resistant, has a broadband receiver of good quality, doesn't sound like a pile of dung like a Baoturd, and has good battery life. It's small, compact, pretty well made, and has been around for a while. Does 1.5 watts on 220 too in additional to "DC to daylight" receive. No digital but one of the best analog HTs of the past 20 years, I'd say it's a good match for an FT-60, but the FT-60 can't be beat. Unlike the turdy Baofengs with "fake" front ends and muffled transmit audio, the FT-60 is a solid double conversion design with EXCELLENT audio and a quality receiver. Chrip can program it, along with the VX-6.

The FT-70 is also a consideration IF you intend to venture into YSF. Japanese made, solidly built and QUALITY radio for under $200 new. The only gripe is the battery life. If you get one, get a drop in charger and spare battery.

I applaud you for wanting to improve your station by ridding yourself of the Baoturds. Their signature muffled/low transmit audio and wide open receiver won't allow you to experience VHF/UHF ham radio the way it should be. The scan rate of the VX-6 and FT-60 fly compared to the sluggish so-called scan on the fake radios. I say fake because they are nothing more than the same old, decade old design WoC (walkie talkie on chip) trash designs with new plastic on them. These ASFICs are intended for use in FRS/GMRS bubble packs and kiddie talkies.

Upgrading to a "for real" radio is like the difference between a kiddie tri-cycle and a Specialized mountain bike.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The hot spot is an option, but it won't do you any good if you are on the road. Or your internets are down. Or you don't have cell service.

If it was me, I'd not invest in a proprietary digital mode like Fusion. Even D-star, while it's not proprietary, is very limited in some areas.
For any sort of travel, you'll find analog is still the de facto standard. If I was looking at digital, I'd go DMR.

APRS receive won't do you a whole lot of good on a portable. It would require some way of displaying that info, which means a laptop or a GPS that has an input on it. For just beaconing out your position, one that does TX only is all you need. Question becomes: Do you really want to beacon out your location to the rest of the world?

Wide band receive is nice, but keep in mind the stock dual band antenna isn't going to do you a lot of good below 144MHz band. None of those radios will decode P25. If that's your interest, you'd do better with a scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The FT-60R is the longest running production HT at this time that I know of. You will find your question and answer many time of the forums, and the FT-60R is very hard to beat for the price. As I mentioned in my last answer, it is the only HT with an optional alkaline battery case when TSHTF. The newer batteries have better life than the FT-60R, but when the power is out, a couple of sets of AA alkalines are your best friend.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yaesu System Fusion is not really proprietary. Yaesu has released the specs for the mode and the folks who make hot spots have figured out how to communicate using YSF. That said, Yaesu System Fusion is single-source in that nobody else makes two-way radios for the mode.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
To get on DMR the easy way, there is a new Android app called Droidstar. It runs on an Android phone or tablet and allows access to both DMR and YSF networks. It is device fussy. My best success has been an older Moto phone and Samsung low end tablet. It is still in early beta, but works quite well if your device cooperates. You will have to obtain a DMR number and register on the DMR websight.

ClemsonSCJ

The hot spot is an option, but it won't do you any good if you are on the road. Or your internets are down. Or you don't have cell service.
If I do digital it will only be as a "fun" addition to the hobby, so those scenarios would only be times I would rely on analog anyways. But it's still a good reason to go the DMR route over Fusion.

If it was me, I'd not invest in a proprietary digital mode like Fusion. Even D-star, while it's not proprietary, is very limited in some areas.
For any sort of travel, you'll find analog is still the de facto standard. If I was looking at digital, I'd go DMR.
So with that being said it sounds like I need to decide whether I'd rather have the fast scan or digital. Because from the videos I've watched of the Anytone, it does the half-second-per-channel scanning like the BTech and Baofeng radios, which I'm not sure if I'm ok with. Kinda thinking now, for where I'm at in the hobby, I may be better off going with the FT-60 or the VX6 and getting the features that I know I want and if I decide in the future that I can't live without digital, I can either reinvest in another radio or sell one to get the other.

APRS receive won't do you a whole lot of good on a portable. It would require some way of displaying that info, which means a laptop or a GPS that has an input on it. For just beaconing out your position, one that does TX only is all you need. Question becomes: Do you really want to beacon out your location to the rest of the world?
Going back to my above statement, I think it's something I would eventually want to be able to do, but for where I'm at, it's not anything I would use right now so it's definitely not anything I would base my decision around at the moment.

Wide band receive is nice, but keep in mind the stock dual band antenna isn't going to do you a lot of good below 144MHz band. None of those radios will decode P25. If that's your interest, you'd do better with a scanner.
No it definitely isn't something I am interested in or would base my decision around, it is only something I would do as a "because I can" thing if the radio were capable.

ClemsonSCJ

To get on DMR the easy way, there is a new Android app called Droidstar. It runs on an Android phone or tablet and allows access to both DMR and YSF networks. It is device fussy. My best success has been an older Moto phone and Samsung low end tablet. It is still in early beta, but works quite well if your device cooperates. You will have to obtain a DMR number and register on the DMR websight.
Seems to kinda take the amateur radio fun out of it though doesn't it?

sloop

Check out the features of the Yaesu VX-6. I think that you will find the additional features better than those of the FT-60.

k6cpo

I had a VX-170 for many years. It was the radio I carried on me when I rode ATV's.

It would get splattered with mud, snow, rain, dust, bugs and smacked by brush.

I could take it back to camp and stick it under running water to clean it off. I think I did dunk it in soapy water once when it was particularly nasty.

Never had any issues with it. Was only single band, but that was all I needed.

I think it was one of the ham radios that I sold on e-Bay where I got more money when I sold it used than what I paid for it brand new from HRO. But that's a whole 'nuther story.

The VX-170 is discontinued and has been replaced by the FT-270R. The FT-270R still has all the water resistance and durability of the VX-170, but, like the 170, it is a single band radio covering 2 meters only. The 270 would be my go-to analog HT if it were dual band. Instead I have the FT-60R.

ClemsonSCJ

Check out the features of the Yaesu VX-6. I think that you will find the additional features better than those of the FT-60.
I'm now to the point where I'm deciding between the VX-6R and the FT-60R. Looking at the Yaesu website the biggest difference I can find is the VX-6R will receive everything from 0.5Mhz to 999Mhz and the FT-60R will receive most of that with a few intermittent gaps. Assuming I'm not interested in receiving any of those "gap" frequencies that the FT-60R doesn't receive and the VX-6R does, are there any other notable differences between these radios other than the VX-6R being submersible?

WB9YBM

some degree of water resistance. I would prefer waterproof, but as long as it can stand up to water splashes and a hard rain or something that would be ok..

Cheapest way to get that is a plastic bag--for heavier duty, upgrade to a freezer bag (in a pinch I've been able to make due by simply putting it inside my jacket--proving how creative real cheapskates can get :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.