Suggestions for new radio - LAPD area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml325

I am looking for a radio in the $200 range that can pick up LAPD, any suggestions?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
LAPD is P-25 digital. You might find a used BD-250D or similar older model radio for that price.
A new radio such as the BCD 325P2 will be just under $400. You might luck out and find a refurbished radio from Amazon or Bearcat Wharehouse for about $300.

prcguy

A Radio Shack PRO-96 still works great for LAPD and they run about $150 used.

LAPD is P-25 digital. You might find a used BD-250D or similar older model radio for that price.
A new radio such as the BCD 325P2 will be just under $400. You might luck out and find a refurbished radio from Amazon or Bearcat Wharehouse for about $300.

ml325

Sorry, I'm new to all this. Will a radio that is APCO P25 work? Does it matter about phase I or ii?

Engine104

Member since 2005
No worries.. LAPD is digital, but it is APCO 25, which isn't the same as P25 Phase 1 or Phase 2. My Pro96 will do Apco 25 and P25 Phase 1, but not Phase 2. If you're in L.A and want to invest in the future, I'd get a Phase 2 scanner. The new LA-RICS system, (LASD, LACoFD, etc) will be that. LAFD is analog, so no problem there.

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Well for 200.00 bucks this pretty much gets you an analog scanner radio now. You might just want to keep saving some money or wait for another stimulus check to get released soon and then buy either a SDS-100 if you want a portable radio or the SDS-200 for a base station radio. This will give you so many more options than just listening to LAPD around the LA basin area. You will get all of the bands either in Analog or P25 digital and will give you the options for trunking too. This investment will give you all the growth you need moving forward.

Unication G5 is another option too for a great radio. None of these options will let you down

KG7PBS

On Ebay there a Few Xts3000s 450-512 P25 for around 200-275. And a few Motorola XTS5000 450-512. Around 250 to 350. That's your best bet

motobot213

Ø Manager
Premium Subscriber
Don't like to break bad news but LA-RICS and LAPD's trunked system will be encrypted. I would be careful investing in a expensive radio or even a scanner.

Mountain343

On Ebay there a Few Xts3000s 450-512 P25 for around 200-275. And a few Motorola XTS5000 450-512. Around 250 to 350. That's your best bet

How hard and expensive is it to get the hardware and software to program those radios vs having someone else do it?

Engine104

Member since 2005
I'd heard that LASD might be encrypted on LA-RICS, but I'd not heard anything about that for LACoFD. I hadn't heard that LAPD was going to go encrypted. I hope not...

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I think we all know the entire SoCal basin is pretty much encrypted now on the law enforcement side. As to LA-RICS and LAPD’s new trunking systems being built out the encryption is coming. People say back and forth the dispatch will stay in the clear. We all hope it will but it’s not happening. There will be a big push to lock everything on the law enforcement side down to lock out the people and the media and so on.

As to LACOFD they are not interested in encryption. There is no reason to lock out the fire service since the department is so huge and for mutual aid resources. In regards to LAFD this department will be interesting on where and when this department jumps on what system. Of course it will not be LA-RICS but maybe a piggy back onto the LAPD’s new trunking system when its fully built out.

It’s something we are all having to deal with and adjust to these major changes coming down the pipes. LASO and LAPD are huge departments that still give us enjoyment for listening purposes, but the hammer is going to drop in the next few years for sure. With COVID-19 and budget short falls we might buy some time. These big departments at this point want no open gaps in their communication systems anymore.

Also, what I have come to understand that law enforcement uses cell phones for their comms as well as apps on their phones for push to talk. Plus, the majority of their calls just go over their MDT’s now.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There's guys on Ebay that will Program it for you. Around 50 to 80 bucks.

I'd pass. The new system is still under construction, so programming once isn't going to work. It's going to require tweaks as the system is updated, which at $50-80 per will quickly get you to the same money as a SDS100, not to mention the hassle of shipping the radio multiple times. And do the guys on eBay know how to do a proper non-affiliate scan? If not, the sysadmin is probably going to brick the radio when it tries to affiliate without permission. And you could face legal troubles.

There's other considerations as well. The SDS models cover all the bands, and with GPS, they automatically switch to the sites and systems nearest your location, even when traveling. If you move, you'll still be able to use the radio. And there's no risk of accidentally transmitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.